Confirmed with Link: Lou Going to The Islanders

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
The child in me is now panicking about the ramifications this has on us signing JT... but i think we all know he isn't coming here really.

Either way, this is just one of those cases where a guy thinks he's done, plans and agrees with management that he'll move into a "senior adviser" role then decides he aint done.

It would have been nice having Lou around, but if he has an opportunity to keep calling the shots somewhere else then why not take it. Good for him, i appreciate everything he did for the team.

IMO opinion if Tavares had his mind set on leaving the Isles for home, Lou is not going to change his mind easily. He is getting married in August and I am hoping he wants to be closer to home. Supposedly she is working in Toronto as a physio therapist.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
We are definitely not signing JT... anymore.

We were never "definitely signing JT". Hiring Lou in order to convince JT to stay because he has a plan to turn the Isles around is shrewd or a last ditch effort by the Isles. Personally he wasn't able to land us a Polak upgrade in over a year, I don't see him turning around the Isles before they get their next area. Hoping JT wants no part of spiting home games in two arenas for the next 2 or 3 seasons. It is up to JT now. If he ever had any thoughts of playing at home, the door is open and there is never going to be a better opportunity than now. He would be part of the team should they win the cup rather than doing what Durant and Bourque did to get their championship.

Reactions: iSophagus

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Our chances were no better than last week. Slim chances for a lot of different reasons.

I can't wait until Shanahan and Dubas are blamed for not signing Tavares. It'll be great hot takes around here for a couple weeks.

Reactions: Smif

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Lamoriello move from Leafs to Islanders ‘done deal’
By Kevin McGranSports Reporter
Mon., May 21, 2018

Lou Lamoriello is expected to leave his senior advisory role with the Maple Leafs this week and join his son Chris in the hockey operations department with the New York Islanders.
“Done deal,” a source told the Star on Monday.

Lamoriello move from Leafs to Islanders ‘done deal’ | The Star

:thumbu:

Good.

Look forward to some innovative management and changes in the team.

Lou can entice Kovalchuk and then convince Tavares to stay don't care.

There are lots of good hockey people around.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
So many on here were convinced he would stay. He got removed from the GM position here and was not going to stay here.

I can see Lou hiring Hunter away as well.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
1. Komarov on the 2nd line and PP unit for most of the year despite sucking.
2. Hyman on the top line. Who was one of our best players in the Boston series? Hyman? right..but he does not deserve to be there at all...
3. Overplaying Andersen despite having a great backup and playoff spot secured for a long time. Really? Is that how you remember it? Playing for home ice mean anything to you?
4. Overplaying Hainsey - His options were?
5. Doesn't give Matthews enough total ice time. But yet this team was 7th OA, developing your team so its not reliant on one line is a bad thing? How did McDavid's (21:33 ATOI) one line TEAM do again?
6. Refuses to play Matthews and Marner together ... so Komarov on the 2nd line was a bad thing because he didn't drive offence but yet having Marner on the 2nd line who does drive offence is a bad thing too, you think Marner should be on the 1st line with a guy who can drive offence by himself...yep makes sense. how does Palyign Marner with Matthews make our 2nd line better and our team better?
7. Wanted fighters like Martin despite having lots of available wingers (such as Leivo)... and Leivo did what when he was given the chance?

... i could go on .. and your opinion would still be misguided.

...and the effect of all that was a 105 point season, the highest point total in Toronto's history. So how many more points would Toronto have won if he was more innovative as you say?

Not for nothing, since the horrid- season 2014-15 season, this Babcock coached TML have improved by 66 GF and reduced their GA by 32 goals, that is a swing of 98+ goals...kind good eh?

So do you take exception with the best record in Toronto's history? Or the fact we had a balanced attack with 3 lines with 30 goal scorers? or the fact he held the team accountable to play strong 2 way hockey?

The old saying, cant see the forest through the trees would apply to your bias against Babcock.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
So many on here were convinced he would stay. He got removed from the GM position here and was not going to stay here.

Hunter can be replaced ... 30 other teams don't have him and many are doing fine thank you.

If Hunter wants to be a GM he's going to have to leave, if he leaves because he's butt-hurt and goes somewhere else for the same position that is better than being bitter and staying with the Leafs.

Albi34

Feb 14, 2010
I don't think this affects the JT free agency all that much. We're talking about the next 8 years of his career...if he already knew he wanted to test Free Agency, is he really going to change his mind because they have a new GM?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
...and the effect of all that was a 105 point season, the highest point total in Toronto's history. So how many more points would Toronto have won if he was more innovative as you say?

Not for nothing, since the horrid- season 2014-15 season, this Babcock coached TML have improved by 66 GF and reduced their GA by 32 goals, that is a swing of 98+ goals...kind good eh?

So do you take exception with the best record in Toronto's history? Or the fact we had a balanced attack with 3 lines with 30 goal scorers? or the fact he held the team accountable to play strong 2 way hockey?

The old saying, cant see the forest through the trees would apply to your bias against Babcock.

I'm curious, Leafs were tied for 6th. in the NHL, what position in the standings were their other best seasons?

Having the most points is really good, it is a new record, but without perspective it is kind of hollow.

2001-2002 they were 3rd. overall.

But this thread is about Lou going back home and good for him.

It is nice that he'll be able to work with and spend more time with his son.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Hunter can be replaced ... 30 other teams don't have him and many are doing fine thank you.

If Hunter wants to be a GM he's going to have to leave, if he leaves because he's ********* and goes somewhere else for the same position that is better than being bitter and staying with the Leafs.
Yet we have not drafted this well in over 30 years..

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Yet we have not drafted this well in over 30 years..

Don't use the Ballard years as a comparison cause they were a joke. They drafted 3 Belleville Bulls in the 1st round because they did not have enough funds to scout more teams :) And those three players were meh. They also passed on Mike Bossy twice.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

And yet he seems to have taken another job where he isn't a GM.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Passing on Debrincat looking like it was not a good move.

And if Hunter is so great, how did he miss Victor Mete who played for the Knights? He looks like a bottom pairing D at least even if he doesn’t improve at all.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I for one enjoy how we had to give up draft picks to hire Babcock and Lou, but get nothing now for the front office exodus.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
And if Hunter is so great, how did he miss Victor Mete who played for the Knights? He looks like a bottom pairing D at least even if he doesn’t improve at all.

He's been bad outside of the 2015 draft

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The condition for him leaving right now is that he has to trade for Matt Martin without retention.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014

Or maybe after years of manipulating the system, this is Lou's ultimate swan song, as he takes over the G.M. role
of another club just to make sure Tavares's offer from N.Y. isn't as good as the Leafs? Maybe Lou trades Ryan Pulock
for Ben Smith and a 5th round draft pick.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Does it really take a genius to draft Marner, Matthews, Liljegren? Dermott was a great pick but outside of that, everything is still up in the air.

16 teams passed on Lilly.

And Marner was not a consensus pick with in Toronto management group. So yo answer your question he has drafted well.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Ouch I just looked at that draft and after the first round, it looks painful to see some of the players taken between (31) Korshkov and (101) Middleton.

Kyrou, Hajek, Masterchin, Debrincat, Dahlen, Katchouk, Girard, Hart.

Maybe he was waiting for Mete with the #101 pick ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->