Confirmed with Link: Lou Going to The Islanders

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Our top player at odds with the coach...

Hunter gone, now Lou gone and replaced with a 32-year old kid with no NHL experience...

Please tell me all this activity in the last 2 weeks isn't an indication that there are even bigger problems in management than we had thought

Just when everyone was onboard with this team's direction... now there are doubts yet again
The problem is Shanahan.

He is in over his head.

If something goes wrong, he will not be able steer the ship back on course.

Far better hockey people have failed in this Toronto market than the lackluster group now in charge.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
The problem is Shanahan.

He is in over his head.

If something goes wrong, he will not be able steer the ship back on course.

Far better hockey people have failed in this Toronto market than the lackluster group now in charge.

What a terrible post.
The management is great. Sorry if that doesnt fit your agenda

Reactions: 613Leafer and slozo

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Everything is pretty much going according to plan. I'd say that's the opposite of having indications of an underlying problem.

Yup seems like the problem isnt Shanahan after all.
People are overreacting as usual around her.
Far less people have failed here then the wonderful group we have now.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
how the hell does anyone know what LL signed up for 3 years ago ?

Lou was asked 3 year ago at the press conference to announce his hiring about Dubas , he didn't voluntarily bring up his name and he said at his age he wasn't going to be here forever and if Dubas wasn't the GM at that time it's on him .

for some reason people took this to mean LL was only here to mentor KD and it was already predetermined Dubas was guaranteed the job regardless of how he performed when it should have been taken as he needed to earn the job

the funny thing is , if this team was still in the toilet then chances are instead of Shanny announcing KD as the next GM at the end of the season it could have been MLSE kicking the whole lot of them to the curb and looking for a new president on down

so this idea that someone was entitled to the job regardless of how he or the team performed is absurd
its public knowledge bro, 3 years gm and 4 years senior adviser. Shanny mentioned it just a week or so ago, and it was known when he signed the contract. Remember other quotes like lou on dubas "if he isn't gm in 3 years, its his fault" etc. This was arranged my man.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
I have a hard time believing this new situation just came to pass.
I'm sure Lou and Shanny had something worked out.
I smell something rotten man, where theres smoke theres fire... how was he cool with the 4 year senior adviser contract and then bam... leaves. Seems strange to ole mikeyg!

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Betting Leafs were given permission to talk to Tavares if Lou was given permission to sign with the Isles.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Ya... he just got the job. Give him some time. He'll make some great moves.

I don't expect him to coach. But I would trust him to pick a good coach. I suspect that he would choose someone who embraces a more modern coaching style.

Even if you're a huge Babcock supporter, you would have to admit that he isn't exactly the most forward thinking of coaches. His obsession with grinders and toughness and defense first is old school thinking. If that's what you want... fine. But let's at least admit that Babcock is coaching the same way that he's always coached and that he's not doing things that anyone would consider to be innovate or groundbreaking. He's doing things that are dated and basically things that just don't even make sense.

Not one of the coaches in the semi finals is doing anything ground breaking or innovating. You've set a bar YOU think is valid and then chose to judge Babcock by YOUR flawed thinking. Pray tell, in your "expert" (clearly expert) opinion name two things that he is doing that does not make sense?

LV is using a fast transition game and elite goal tending to get to the SCF, if only Babcock had innovated that strategy...oh wait that was what he used as a recipe all season.

Tampa great goaltending, timely special team play and elite high end talent...oh..the innovation...

Don't let your bias hit you in the ass on the way out...

Reactions: francis246

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I don't think that happens though. From what I've gathered, Snow was a big part of bringing Lou in. I think it's more likely that Lou and Snow will work closely together.
That would make for an excellent case study here though.
Shanny/Dubas vs. Lou/Hunter.
Ring the bell Balboa.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I think people pretending that everything is fine and dandy within the organization need a wake up call. Also people who think that everything is completely in shambles need a wake up call. It's called going through transition. Every organization has these periods of rough patches. Right now Shanny is trying to figure out how to make everything stick together and work most efficiently.

Not every star player will get along with their coach but that doesn't mean he wants out or that we should fire Babcock. A lot of Pittsburgh players spazz on their coach publically and they still do really well. It's the nature of sport.

As for jobs, it's normal for there to be internal competition. That's what successful organizations look like. I think they'll get everything figured out

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
If Snow gets fired, I wonder if Lou would look at Hunter for GM?

I don't think Snow is that bad of a GM. He's ripped off a couple GM's in the last couple years and has also made fantastic draft picks. They need a goalie really and JT to stay. They should
Also move back to long island

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I don't think Snow is that bad of a GM. He's ripped off a couple GM's in the last couple years and has also made fantastic draft picks. They need a goalie really and JT to stay. They should
Also move back to long island

True but what they really need is a reset (as do the Habs) like the Leafs did. Duct tape solutions are going to leave you treading water for a long time.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
True but what they really need is a reset (as do the Habs) like the Leafs did. Duct tape solutions are going to leave you treading water for a long time.
Yes we've seen the duct tape solutions here for years and years.
People also don't need to be fired for an organization to be reorganized. All these fancy titles of senior VP or assistant director hockey ops are opportunities to do just that.
Lou is set either way, now we'll see what direction Hunter takes next. If that's the case, I wonder who will be assistant GM here? Pridham?

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Additions to the Shanagement team will be made. Lou/Dubas needs to be replaced. Maybe Hunter too. Let's withhold judgement til we find out who is added. Opportunities with this FO will still be highly sought-after.
I agree we should withhold judgement, my point all along has been an organization without Lou and Hunter isn't better off than it was before Shanny made this move. We had an amazing front office, now we have question marks, how that's a better scenario entirely escapes me. Even the "withhold judgement" sentiment suggest an uncertainty, one that wasn't there prior. Let's not forget too Dubas was primarily a Marlies consideration, so if it was just he that left, the front office with the Leafs would be largely the same, no questions really. Wishing Dubas well, but who knows, and with the subtractions potentially adding up, it's hard to be excited, more concerned.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I think people pretending that everything is fine and dandy within the organization need a wake up call. Also people who think that everything is completely in shambles need a wake up call. It's called going through transition. Every organization has these periods of rough patches. Right now Shanny is trying to figure out how to make everything stick together and work most efficiently.

Not every star player will get along with their coach but that doesn't mean he wants out or that we should fire Babcock. A lot of Pittsburgh players spazz on their coach publically and they still do really well. It's the nature of sport.

As for jobs, it's normal for there to be internal competition. That's what successful organizations look like. I think they'll get everything figured out
Only caveat to the "every organization" goes through these transitions, I can't think of one where it happens with an ascending team like the Leafs. The sky isn't falling, but the sunny skies are now partly cloudy with a slight chance of rain.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Not one of the coaches in the semi finals is doing anything ground breaking or innovating. You've set a bar YOU think is valid and then chose to judge Babcock by YOUR flawed thinking. Pray tell, in your "expert" (clearly expert) opinion name two things that he is doing that does not make sense?

LV is using a fast transition game and elite goal tending to get to the SCF, if only Babcock had innovated that strategy...oh wait that was what he used as a recipe all season.

Tampa great goaltending, timely special team play and elite high end talent...oh..the innovation...

Don't let your bias hit you in the ass on the way out...

1. Komarov on the 2nd line and PP unit for most of the year despite sucking.
2. Hyman on the top line.
3. Overplaying Andersen despite having a great backup and playoff spot secured for a long time.
4. Overplaying Hainsey
5. Doesn't give Matthews enough total ice time
6. Refuses to play Matthews and Marner together
7. Wanted fighters like Martin despite having lots of available wingers (such as Leivo).

... i could go on

bluumax

Mar 7, 2008
The child in me is now panicking about the ramifications this has on us signing JT... but i think we all know he isn't coming here really.

Either way, this is just one of those cases where a guy thinks he's done, plans and agrees with management that he'll move into a "senior adviser" role then decides he aint done.

It would have been nice having Lou around, but if he has an opportunity to keep calling the shots somewhere else then why not take it. Good for him, i appreciate everything he did for the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad