Confirmed with Link: Lou Going to The Islanders

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Don't use the Ballard years as a comparison cause they were a joke. They drafted 3 Belleville Bulls in the 1st round because they did not have enough funds to scout more teams :) And those three players were meh. They also passed on Mike Bossy twice.
Percy, Biggs, the goat. Those are recent first rd picks. We traded up to get Biggs.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
You mean the exact job he left in NJ to become a GM in Toronto? yes...
Did Lou have full control over all hockey operations in Jersey? Or was it like Fletcher here in Toronto?
He has full control in NY (as per the reports).

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I'm curious, Leafs were tied for 6th. in the NHL, what position in the standings were their other best seasons?

Having the most points is really good, it is a new record, but without perspective it is kind of hollow.

2001-2002 they were 3rd. overall.

But this thread is about Lou going back home and good for him.

It is nice that he'll be able to work with and spend more time with his son.

Its not hollow at all, like anything records are a product of their environment/era. When Bossy scored 50, it's different than when Ovie scored 50 but no less impressive.

Agreed this is about Lou and how he got banished to Lou-Lam Island ... ;) :)

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I don't think this affects the JT free agency all that much. We're talking about the next 8 years of his career...if he already knew he wanted to test Free Agency, is he really going to change his mind because they have a new GM?

Not so sure about that. This puts an end to the Snow gong show which means light at the end of the tunnel that wasn't there before, unless of course JT likes Snow in spite of the lack of improvement in recent years. Lou can point to how "he" turned around a horrible Leafs team and how happy days are here again on the island.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Thanks Lou. Appreciate what you did for the Leafs. Hope things work out for you on the island.

One last request though, don't sign Tavares. He's horrible for your team. Bad business.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Not so sure about that. This puts an end to the Snow gong show which means light at the end of the tunnel that wasn't there before, unless of course JT likes Snow in spite of the lack of improvement in recent years. Lou can point to how "he" turned around a horrible Leafs team and how happy days are here again on the island.

Lou was part of the solution for the Leafs not THE solution. Everyone in hockey knows this. It wasn't the trades or FA signings that turned Toronto around. It was the keen drafting and lucking out on Matthews that turned the club into a winner. Also, he wasnt around and had nothing to do with Nylander, Reilly, Kadri, Brown, JVR, Bozak, Gardiner, Hyman, Komarov, etc... that were already present in Toronto when uncle Lou came here.

Although I liked him for his acquisitions of Andersen, Marleau, Kapanen, Zaitsev and Hainsey. Other then that it was Hunter and Dubas that need most of the heavy lifting to get us where we are with Matthews, Marner, Dermott, Lljegren, and Johnsson.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
...and the effect of all that was a 105 point season, the highest point total in Toronto's history. So how many more points would Toronto have won if he was more innovative as you say?

Not for nothing, since the horrid- season 2014-15 season, this Babcock coached TML have improved by 66 GF and reduced their GA by 32 goals, that is a swing of 98+ goals...kind good eh?

So do you take exception with the best record in Toronto's history? Or the fact we had a balanced attack with 3 lines with 30 goal scorers? or the fact he held the team accountable to play strong 2 way hockey?

The old saying, cant see the forest through the trees would apply to your bias against Babcock.

1. I take it you agree with me with respect to Komarov.

2. Yes, Hyman had a good series for Hyman. He still didn't get Matthews going. He wasn't making Matthews any better. Hyman made some good individual plays, but didn't get our star players scoring.

3. Do you even follow this team? We were not contending for home ice advantage in the last couple months of the season. It was basically impossible to catch Boston or Tampa and it was also basically impossible for us to miss the playoffs. You are clearly wrong on this point if you thought we were competing for home ice advantage near the end of the season.

4. He had lots of other options than to over play Hainsey. Babcock did not need him killing full 2 minute penalties and also have him playing with Rielly on the top pairing. We had guys like Carrick and Holl who could have played in a few games down the stretch (again, we had our playoff spot secured). He could have moved Rielly to the right and used Borgman or something like that too. Hainsey could have been given some games off and he could have played fewer minutes in many of our unimportant games.

5. Yes, we finished 7th OA... but we still weren't good enough to get out of the first round. We needed to be better and we could have been better.

6. Matthews and Marner will be magic together. Nylander can drive the other line.

7. Leivo has done relatively well when he was given a chance. He has put up good numbers considering the fact that he goes for months in between games and gets 4th line line-mates with limited ice time. Look at the centers that Leivo gets to play with... and he still manages to get points.

yes, we got 105 points... but we still weren't good enough. we played a lot of really bad games in the playoffs. how was our 2 way game in the first two games of the playoffs?

the main reason why we were so much better is because we have a legit generational talent as well as Marner and Nylander lots of other really good players that we didn't have a few years ago. nothing to do with Babcock's coaching.

The Leafs were a good team this past year... but we most certainly did not play to our potential. We weren't anywhere near our potential. Wait and see how dominant Matthews and Marner are when they play together without Hyman or some other grinder.

We have the potential to be a heck of a lot better than we were. Babcock has really been holding this team back. Hopefully Dubas can fix things one way or another.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
1. I take it you agree with me with respect to Komarov.

2. Yes, Hyman had a good series for Hyman. He still didn't get Matthews going. He wasn't making Matthews any better. Hyman made some good individual plays, but didn't get our star players scoring.

3. Do you even follow this team? We were not contending for home ice advantage in the last couple months of the season. It was basically impossible to catch Boston or Tampa and it was also basically impossible for us to miss the playoffs. You are clearly wrong on this point if you thought we were competing for home ice advantage near the end of the season.

4. He had lots of other options than to over play Hainsey. Babcock did not need him killing full 2 minute penalties and also have him playing with Rielly on the top pairing. We had guys like Carrick and Holl who could have played in a few games down the stretch (again, we had our playoff spot secured). He could have moved Rielly to the right and used Borgman or something like that too. Hainsey could have been given some games off and he could have played fewer minutes in many of our unimportant games.

5. Yes, we finished 7th OA... but we still weren't good enough to get out of the first round. We needed to be better and we could have been better.

6. Matthews and Marner will be magic together. Nylander can drive the other line.

7. Leivo has done relatively well when he was given a chance. He has put up good numbers considering the fact that he goes for months in between games and gets 4th line line-mates with limited ice time. Look at the centers that Leivo gets to play with... and he still manages to get points.

yes, we got 105 points... but we still weren't good enough. we played a lot of really bad games in the playoffs. how was our 2 way game in the first two games of the playoffs?

the main reason why we were so much better is because we have a legit generational talent as well as Marner and Nylander lots of other really good players that we didn't have a few years ago. nothing to do with Babcock's coaching.

The Leafs were a good team this past year... but we most certainly did not play to our potential. We weren't anywhere near our potential. Wait and see how dominant Matthews and Marner are when they play together without Hyman or some other grinder.

We have the potential to be a heck of a lot better than we were. Babcock has really been holding this team back. Hopefully Dubas can fix things one way or another.

Who's the driver on Matthew's line? Mathews or Hyman?

Ummm how was our game in the first 2 games, well I remember ref, whistle, ref, whistle, ref , whistle, rinse wash repeat. How does Babcock influence a clear bias in those 2 games, um guys lets try to do something innovative, don't take penalties.

Yes we have good talent but so does Ottawa, Edmonton, Vancouver, Flordia, Carolina, etc. You inferring that because our talent is so good that even without Babcock we would have set that record.

Babcock has been holding this team back? So again Forest, trees.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Who's the driver on Matthew's line? Mathews or Hyman?

Ummm how was our game in the first 2 games, well I remember ref, whistle, ref, whistle, ref , whistle, rinse wash repeat. How does Babcock influence a clear bias in those 2 games, um guys lets try to do something innovative, don't take penalties.

Yes we have good talent but so does Ottawa, Edmonton, Vancouver, Flordia, Carolina, etc. You inferring that because our talent is so good that even without Babcock we would have set that record.

Babcock has been holding this team back? So again Forest, trees.

You are falling into the Babcock trap of thinking that every line needs a "driver" and a "grinder".... how about just putting Matthews and Marner together with a skilled LW. Call it whatever you want. We just need 3 guys who have some chemistry with eachother. Hyman does not have chemistry with Matthews, period.

You think that our talent is compatible to those other teams? lol. ok. You just embarrassed yourself comparing the talent on our roster to teams like Vancouver.

Without Babcock we would have gotten more than 105 points and made it passed the 1st round.

I also love how you never admit when you are wrong. At least I address all your points.

Do you still think that the reason Babcock played Andersen so much is because we were trying to get home ice advantage at the end of the season? You can't even admit when you say things that are clearly false. You just move on. You don't address anything I said. At least I address all your points. When I clearly prove you wrong, you just put your Babcock blinders on and make up any false story that fits your narrative.

Everyone agrees that Babcock overplayed Andersen (and Hainsey). That's not even debatable. Except rather than admit that Babcock made a mistake, you just try to pull some sort of mental gymnastics and claim that the reason Babcock overplayed Andersen was because we were trying to get home ice advantage. Do you provide any evidence for this? Of course not. Do you defend your point when you get called out? Nope! If you actually knew what you were talking about, you would know that we had no chance of catching Boston or Tampa. Yet you claim that we did because that's the only way to justify Babcock's bad decision making.

It's easy to make your coach look good when you get to make up your own facts to fit that narrative.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
I was hoping that Lou would stick with the Leafs in a lesser role for the duration of his career. I mean the guy is 75 years old you'd think he'd be looking for stability and staying put especially after getting so familiar with the entire Maple Leafs organization for the past 3 years and witnessing its remarkable turn around. Then again given his age, the proximity of NY to his home it makes sense.

Oh well it was nice while we had him.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I was hoping that Lou would stick with the Leafs in a lesser role for the duration of his career. I mean the guy is 75 years old you'd think he'd be looking for stability and staying put especially after getting so familiar with the entire Maple Leafs organization for the past 3 years and witnessing its remarkable turn around. Then again given his age, the proximity of NY to his home it makes sense.

Oh well it was nice while we had him.

Would've been great to be able to keep Lou around, but full authority and the opportunity to again work alongside his son would be understandably too good to pass up, I'd think.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Todd03

May 28, 2016
With Lou signing with Islanders does that mean the leafs get a draft pick.
since he is still under contract with leafs?

DowntownConnorBrown

Apr 28, 2018
eh i'd take him over nonis so yes he did save the leafs. made the andersen trade, got the horrible phaneuf contract off the books and stole connor carrick from the capitals for daniel winnik

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
You are falling into the Babcock trap of thinking that every line needs a "driver" and a "grinder".... how about just putting Matthews and Marner together with a skilled LW. Call it whatever you want. We just need 3 guys who have some chemistry with eachother. Hyman does not have chemistry with Matthews, period.

You think that our talent is compatible to those other teams? lol. ok. You just embarrassed yourself comparing the talent on our roster to teams like Vancouver.

Without Babcock we would have gotten more than 105 points and made it passed the 1st round.

I also love how you never admit when you are wrong. At least I address all your points.

Do you still think that the reason Babcock played Andersen so much is because we were trying to get home ice advantage at the end of the season? You can't even admit when you say things that are clearly false. You just move on. You don't address anything I said. At least I address all your points. When I clearly prove you wrong, you just put your Babcock blinders on and make up any false story that fits your narrative.

Everyone agrees that Babcock overplayed Andersen (and Hainsey). That's not even debatable. Except rather than admit that Babcock made a mistake, you just try to pull some sort of mental gymnastics and claim that the reason Babcock overplayed Andersen was because we were trying to get home ice advantage. Do you provide any evidence for this? Of course not. Do you defend your point when you get called out? Nope! If you actually knew what you were talking about, you would know that we had no chance of catching Boston or Tampa. Yet you claim that we did because that's the only way to justify Babcock's bad decision making.

It's easy to make your coach look good when you get to make up your own facts to fit that narrative.

Dude please stop, you clearly don't understand a dang about hockey or what it takes to build a BALANCED TEAM.

You want to top load one line with two elite talents while neutering the 2nd line? Bravo great strategy coach. One line teams are not hard to stop if you have depth. Boston is a great example of a one line team, at one point towards the end of the season 40%+ of their offence came from the Bergeron line, ergo the Nash trade. We didn't have depth so we didn't beat Boston, Tampa has depth and they beat Boston.

When you clearly proved me wrong? Lets recap, you said words, words that were your opinion. Just because you said words does not mean you are correct, we all have words. If anything your words proved just how myopic and limited your understanding is of how to build a successful BALANCED team.

So ignore 105 points, ignore the unimaginable 98 GF/GA turn around in 3 seasons. Ignore the fact many players like Kadri and Rielly have become stars under the coaching of Babcock. Lots of positive things happening under Babcock eh? Ahhhhh, it would happen no matter if Babcock was here or not eh? To prove your point Babcock that is a horrible coach, we should hire Horacheck again and watch how the Leafs continue to win and grow as a team no matter who the coach is, cause as you say our talent is the deepest ever. If you ignore the things that prove you wrong, you're only left with ignorance and your own words that bounce around in your self built echo chamber.

Only in Leaf land can a coach who set records, with a core in their 2nd year as pro's, be seen as the problem but I'm glad you think your resume gives you the perspective to tell the world just how much smarter you are than the most accomplished coach in the game today... please continue your nonsense, fiction is fun sometimes.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Dude please stop, you clearly don't understand a dang about hockey or what it takes to build a BALANCED TEAM.
That poster has been talking about how Babcock is the worst coach in the NHL and shouldn't even be in the league ever since his central argument was that he didn't play Corrado. He's just made up his mind. Everything we achieve is in spite of Babcock, every mistake he makes is crucial. We could win the Cup, and he'd still argue that we'd have won it in 16 if it wasn't for Babcock.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad