Let's Forget Some Guys

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Ronald Petrovicky

Eric Boguniecki

Douglas “Crankshaft” Murray

Rippin’ shots with crankshaft, partying like it’s 2-0-1-3, baby!

Slick Arnold

Sponsor
Oct 4, 2005
Sneep & Strait lol, everyone was so high on both of them. I don't even want to look at who went after those two.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Aaron Asham

What a beauty!

He belongs in the "Lets remember some guys" thread. I really liked Asham. I was really sad to see him go. I think at one point we had Cooke, Asham, and Rupp on the roster. We certainly had jam!

I nominate Eric Tangradi.

Some of the most cringe worthy stuff ever spoken on this board has been regarding Tangradi and Staal. I still remember something to the extent of:

"Tangradi needs 40 games glued to Malkin's hip, regardless of performance, to 'see what we have in him'". And then people were shocked that he was dumped after like 5 games of shit performance.

And then Staal to 2C and shift Malkin to wing horseshit was just as infuriating. "But but but Talbot took a faceoff in the 2009 playoffs!" GTFO.

I wanted to strangle people who wanted "Staalingrad" - Tangradi-Staal-Malkin.

For those that weren't here circa 2010-2011, these were major discussions with people wholeheartedly advocating for them to a "hill to die on" degree. People swore up and down that if DB just put Tangradi with Malkin, it would all magically work out. "Oh, like Sprong?" you ask? No...this was a much more of a cult-like following. Disturbing to this day. Seen nothing like it before and nothing like it since.

I also remember a post "This team is grooming Staal to be the next 2C. Once he is ready, they will trade Malkin for wing help". There were people that advocated...HARD...for Malkin to be on wing or for him to be traded. Could never figure out why people were so against him at center. Then he goes out and ruins the league in the 2012 season, lol.

Ronald Petrovicky

Eric Boguniecki

Douglas “Crankshaft” Murray

Rippin’ shots with crankshaft, partying like it’s 2-0-1-3, baby!

I always get a kick out of Bogo. All I really remember is him taking that amazing clapper that one time in that one game. Came down 1 on 1, he was right handed and on the right side. The dman forced him to the outside. He was maybe mid-circle, couldn't have been more than 6-7ft from the boards and he unloads this amazing clapper that hits the upper left corner over the blocker. Bar down and in. I don't think it was physically possible to put the puck anymore up or to the left and have it still go in. One of the best shots I've seen in my life...and it was Eric Boguniecki. I still try to find video of it but...to no avail.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Some of the most cringe worthy stuff ever spoken on this board has been regarding Tangradi and Staal. I still remember something to the extent of:

"Tangradi needs 40 games glued to Malkin's hip, regardless of performance, to 'see what we have in him'". And then people were shocked that he was dumped after like 5 games of shit performance.

And then Staal to 2C and shift Malkin to wing horseshit was just as infuriating. "But but but Talbot took a faceoff in the 2009 playoffs!" GTFO.

For those that weren't here circa 2010-2011, these were major discussions with people wholeheartedly advocating for them to a "hill to die on" degree. People swore up and down that if DB just put Tangradi with Malkin, it would all magically work out. "Oh, like Sprong?" you ask? No...this was a much more of a cult-like following. Disturbing to this day. Seen nothing like it before and nothing like it since.

I also remember a post "This team is grooming Staal to be the next 2C. Once he is ready, they will trade Malkin for wing help". There were people that advocated...HARD...for Malkin to be on wing or for him to be traded. Could never figure out why people were so against him at center. Then he goes out and ruins the league in the 2012 season, lol.

lol... some of my most frustrating sports-related memories ever were people fully on board with the whole Staal thing. Really felt like I was taking crazy pills.

Re: Tangradi... I WANTED to believe but it was pretty clear he didn't have nearly enough tools to hang in a top six awfully quickly.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Johannes Salmonsson. 2nd Round pick in 2004, I believe he was supposed to go pretty high and his stock fell as the draft got closer. When he came to training camp, he couldn't skate backwards. They did a drill which involved the forwards pivoting and skating backwards blue line to blue line and he was the only guy that didn't. It might have been because his knees were already shot at 18, but there is a chance he just couldn't skate backwards it and nobody realized. I don't think he ever came back to North America after he was cut from that camp.

I just looked and he's still playing the SHL. Maybe he learned?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Johannes Salmonsson. 2nd Round pick in 2004, I believe he was supposed to go pretty high and his stock fell as the draft got closer. When he came to training camp, he couldn't skate backwards. They did a drill which involved the forwards pivoting and skating backwards blue line to blue line and he was the only guy that didn't. It might have been because his knees were already shot at 18, but there is a chance he just couldn't skate backwards it and nobody realized. I don't think he ever came back to North America after he was cut from that camp.
He was rated fairly well in EA NHL games so I'd always sign him and he'd end up being my 2nd liner. Back when we had shit prospects.

Which isn't much different now.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
f***ing Ryan Stone....

I hated Ryan Stone but not because of Ryan Stone. I hated Ryan Stone because of Loui Eriksson. Eriksson was taken right after stone and I had to watch him pot 30 nearly every year while we had old Woolworths' manikins dressed up in street hockey gear flanking Sidney f'ing Crosby for years.

Reactions: pokey10

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
lol... some of my most frustrating sports-related memories ever were people fully on board with the whole Staal thing. Really felt like I was taking crazy pills.

Re: Tangradi... I WANTED to believe but it was pretty clear he didn't have nearly enough tools to hang in a top six awfully quickly.

I think we all WANTED Tangradi to succeed in that role. Problem was, you watched the game and it was painfully obvious it wasn't there. I mean, after 2-3 games, there was strong evidence that he wasn't going to be Top 6 for us...at least that season. But the resulting shock led to some pretty severe denial. I was sad but I wasn't delusional about it.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
He belongs in the "Lets remember some guys" thread. I really liked Asham. I was really sad to see him go. I think at one point we had Cooke, Asham, and Rupp on the roster. We certainly had jam!

I always get a kick out of Bogo. All I really remember is him taking that amazing clapper that one time in that one game. Came down 1 on 1, he was right handed and on the right side. The dman forced him to the outside. He was maybe mid-circle, couldn't have been more than 6-7ft from the boards and he unloads this amazing clapper that hits the upper left corner over the blocker. Bar down and in. I don't think it was physically possible to put the puck anymore up or to the left and have it still go in. One of the best shots I've seen in my life...and it was Eric Boguniecki. I still try to find video of it but...to no avail.

Staal in his last year here was arguably performing at a 2C level and we were unsure if Malkin would resign.

I’ve never been of the mindset that trading Malkin has ever made sense, but with how good Staal was in 2012 there was at least some thought process behind it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad