Let's Forget Some Guys

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
cut.jpg

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
To be real, I tend to forget like 95% of former Penguins players after they leave the Penguins. The only exceptions were significant players who were here for a long time, with guys like Staal, Orpik (who I remember more bad than good tbh), Kunitz and Hornqvist falling in that category.

Like remember Jussi Jokinen? He was a great top-6 forward for the Penguins for a good year and a half IIRC. Today was the first time I remembered his name since like 2015.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Boy, now there is a list that will take some time so I will limit it to post-lockout

Ron Hainsey
Mark Streit
Jack Johnson
Tanner Glass
Craig Adams
Douglas Murray (more because we spent 2 2nds on him)
Shane Endicott
Damn near anyone from the 2001-2004 WBS roster
Andrew Ebbett
Sergei Plotnikov unfortunately
Ponikorovsky (SP?)
Kevin Porter

You kids don't remember but there were some infuriating players pre-lockout. 2001-2004, some were forgivable but we sucked so hard but there were as many Scuderi/JJ-like anger moments in the late 90's as there are/were today.

I remember screaming "Ron Tugnutt you piece of shit" when he got scored on once. My bottom magically became red and I didn't care much about hockey at that time.

Tom Barasso was tough to watch late in his career when the old late 80's early 90's style goalies were starting to get ripped up.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Rob Scuderi. Horrendously overrated at first, horrendous at second.

This seems to be controversial but it shouldn't be. Must be a nostalgia thing... I dunno. Even within the context of the league at the time which was more kind to his style of play he still stunk and Penguins fans still drank the Kool Aid. Diving in front of a flailing out of position MAF to save some crucial goals gets a boatload of mileage I suppose.

My answer is Dupuis. Yeah yeah yeah I know. I'm a monster. But I was never super fond of him being stapled to Crosby to begin with (especially as Kunitz started to fade) and then the whole "hey he might die on the ice he might not" bloodclot thing went down and I was just beyond ready for him to move on to greener pastures with his 20 children. He also found himself at the center of some rumor-mongering controversy a few years back involving Malkin and Kessel IIRC.

Poni. Thought he was going to tear it up in 2010 and he blew shit.

Oh god this too. I was pretty stoked about this... should have known better. In retrospect it was probably more a commentary on how shit Malkin's linemates were that I was happy this slug was going to slot in on his wing.

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
This seems to be controversial but it shouldn't be. Must be a nostalgia thing... I dunno. Even within the context of the league at the time which was more kind to his style of play he still stunk and Penguins fans still drank the Kool Aid. Diving in front of a flailing out of position MAF to save some crucial goals gets a boatload of mileage I suppose.

My answer is Dupuis. Yeah yeah yeah I know. I'm a monster. But I was never super fond of him being stapled to Crosby to begin with (especially as Kunitz started to fade) and then the whole "hey he might die on the ice he might not" bloodclot thing went down and I was just beyond ready for him to move on to greener pastures with his 20 children. He also found himself at the center of some rumor-mongering controversy a few years back involving Malkin and Kessel IIRC.

Seconded on Duper, never really liked him and was more than ready to move on from him after the Boston Conference Final.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Seconded on Duper, never really liked him and was more than ready to move on from him after the Boston Conference Final.

I think a lot of it too had to do with how over-the-top the team and media was about forcing hero-status on the guy. Even well before the whole blood clot thing. Not Adams levels of obnoxious but certainly approaching it. Dupuis is the kind of player I SHOULD like but ended up just kind of rolling my eyes and going "alllllright..." when someone would start waxing poetical about his many amazing qualities.

It would have been kinda neat to see prime Crosby play with an elite wing for years. Alas.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Poni. Thought he was going to tear it up in 2010 and he blew shit.
Poni was a huge disappointment, he was supposed to come over and be gangbusters with Geno, but I think he spent more of his time on the 3rd line instead. Seems to happen here a lot.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Poni was a huge disappointment, he was supposed to come over and be gangbusters with Geno, but I think he spent more of his time on the 3rd line instead. Seems to happen here a lot.

The team was probably too busy at the time trying to figure out a way they could play Malkin on the wing.

I actually think this is the season they still tried rolling with Talbot and Rusty on Geno's wings and it was every bit as dumb as everyone figured it would be over a larger sample size.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

I loved that he went on to have a pretty outstanding season (IIRC) directly after he left the Penguins.

Oh I have another on... Mark Eaton. He wasn't like... terrible. But I feel like Ray Shero brought him back like 10 times and at least once out of retirement. And he was just sorta always... there.

Really sums up Ray Shero I guess.

Reactions: EightyOne

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The team was probably too busy at the time trying to figure out a way they could play Malkin on the wing.

I actually think this is the season they still tried rolling with Talbot and Rusty on Geno's wings and it was every bit as dumb as everyone figured it would be over a larger sample size.
I think you mean Fedotenko, Rusty wasn’t even drafted yet, well that summer he was, but I recall Ruslan Fedotenko on and off Gene’s wing, I also think that was the year Kunitz got hurt? Guerin was still around. The line-up was enough of a mess that I honestly couldn’t tell you who the wingers were regularly with.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I loved that he went on to have a pretty outstanding season (IIRC) directly after he left the Penguins.

Oh I have another on... Mark Eaton. He wasn't like... terrible. But I feel like Ray Shero brought him back like 10 times and at least once out of retirement. And he was just sorta always... there.

Really sums up Ray Shero I guess.
Brass also went on to rebound somewhat with the Islanders, but the Niemi thing really pissed me off. They were throwing lobs at Murray and gave Niemi these tough shitty assignments and then basically blamed it on him, then trash bag DeSmith out played Murray too that season.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Marcus Pettersson.

I think he’s severely overrated. He’s not physical, can’t seem to get out of the way from being one of the most plastered morons on defense in the league, his offense about as lethal as Brian Dumoulin’s and he has no f***ing chin. For a 3rd pairing defenseman, he’s insanely overpaid.

Last edited:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I think you mean Fedotenko, Rusty wasn’t even drafted yet, well that summer he was, but I recall Ruslan Fedotenko on and off Gene’s wing, I also think that was the year Kunitz got hurt? Guerin was still around. The line-up was enough of a mess that I honestly couldn’t tell you who the wingers were regularly with.

Heh... Fedotenko's nickname was "Rusty" (Ruslan). I would have KILLED for a Bryan Rust for Malkin back then. Guerin was still in the mix. They had Kunitz (easily their best wing especially since he was still pretty prime), Dupuis, Talbot, Rusty, Cooke and Kennedy as their top 9ish options. Bleh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad