Let's Forget Some Guys

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
So bizarre that his teams play such an up-tempo, high-scoring system in the WHL and as soon as he got to the NHL he thought: "I'll do the exact opposite of what has brought me success."

MJ didn't trust our defense. He was right not to at that time but he went against his coaching style. He should have pushed back on JR (maybe he did) and said what he needed and played the style that made him successful. Sticking to his style without the right roster might have led to a firing too. At least he could say that he tried to stick by his style and the GM failed to provide any assistance.

Reactions: PAJEN NORDGREN

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Daniel Sprong.

Shhhhhhhhhhhh don't awaken.......

tenor.gif

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
MJ didn't trust our defense. He was right not to at that time but he went against his coaching style. He should have pushed back on JR (maybe he did) and said what he needed and played the style that made him successful. Sticking to his style without the right roster might have led to a firing too. At least he could say that he tried to stick by his style and the GM failed to provide any assistance.

Yeah but what kind of assistance can a GM provide for that horrific kind of style? He already HAD Scuderi after all.

Maybe a roadcone, a half-eaten ham sandwich and a bucket of wallpaper paste with some jerseys on?

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Gonna throw Chuck Kobasew to this list. No idea how he ended up getting looks with Sid.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Chris Joseph
Dmitri Mironov
Alek Stojanov
Petr Klima
Sean Pronger
Robert Dome
Wayne Primo
Dennis Bonvie

Oh heck yeah! Good list! I had a few of these guys on my list from my OP it got LONG so I deleted these guys off. I'll add Tyler Wright, Josef Beranek, and Andrew Fereance.

Gonna throw Chuck Kobasew to this list. No idea how he ended up getting looks with Sid.

Matt D'Agostini, Jayson Megna, and Taylor Pyatt from that season. Woof.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Yeah but what kind of assistance can a GM provide for that horrific kind of style? He already HAD Scuderi after all.

Maybe a roadcone, a half-eaten ham sandwich and a bucket of wallpaper paste with some jerseys on?

His style for what he’s known for not what he did here. MJ was all about pushing offense but the D we had was pretty bad in general so he went with what he did lol

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Ding, ding, ding!

The hours of reading people thinking they would look great next to Sid or Geno. My oh my.... (I did it too, not pointing fingers here).

Luca Caputi baby, he was the future!
Wasn't Sid the reason they even signed Plotnikov and then decided to never try him with Sid at all. A bad start all around.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Nils Ekman
Eric Tangradi
Definitely Tangradi. I remember reading posts as a lurker back when so many clowns defended this guy blindly. But but but power forwards take a long time to develop, give him time.

Beau Bennett for sure. Blame his crappy play on injuries, but I was never impressed with him and he seemed like a giant reach in the draft.

Jordan Staal. Thank god Rutherford matched Shero’s overpayment contract offer. But but but his stats will explode if he plays top lines minutes....goes to Carolina and only scores one more point in a season compared to his best season here.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I may get some heat for this, but Brooks Orpik. His later years tainted his whole Pens career for me. First to jump in front of a microphone to say how guys need to play better while he was a skating pylon. While Sid developed a reputation for whining even though he's been fine since his sophomore year, Brooks Orpik has never deserved a penalty in his life. Just ask him.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I may get some heat for this, but Brooks Orpik. His later years tainted his whole Pens career for me. First to jump in front of a microphone to say how guys need to play better while he was a skating pylon. While Sid developed a reputation for whining even though he's been fine since his sophomore year, Brooks Orpik has never deserved a penalty in his life. Just ask him.
Nah f*** it, I was going to post him too but decided against it.

He was always, as you stated, so eager to call everyone out but seemingly forgot how shit he was in those games as well.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

I mean maybe from some people but certainly not me.

Appreciated Brooks when he was literally the only thing going for this team and I was so used to seeing utter shit on the blueline that his brand of middle-pairing mediocrity seemed terrific. But his attitude stunk and his play towards the last few years of his time here matched that attitude. His freakout over Crosby was for sure the straw.

Reactions: SomeDude

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I mean maybe from some people but certainly not me.

Appreciated Brooks when he was literally the only thing going for this team and I was so used to seeing utter shit on the blueline that his brand of middle-pairing mediocrity seemed terrific. But his attitude stunk and his play towards the last few years of his time here matched that attitude. His freakout over Crosby was for sure the straw.
I still think if Josef Melichar didn’t destroy both shoulders, Orpik wouldn’t have been as big as he was for the Pens, but yeah that’s just my take.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I still think if Josef Melichar didn’t destroy both shoulders, Orpik wouldn’t have been as big as he was for the Pens, but yeah that’s just my take.

Melichar actually had a lot of promise early on and as bad as his rep is I don't know how much I disagree. I still reference "Melichar Shoulder" whenever a player takes one and I'm concerned about it haha. It really, really did go a long way towards derailing him. IIRC "Soft" Hans Jonsson was kind of the same case.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Melichar actually had a lot of promise early on and as bad as his rep is I don't know how much I disagree. I still reference "Melichar Shoulder" whenever a player takes one and I'm concerned about it haha. It really, really did go a long way towards derailing him. IIRC "Soft" Hans Jonsson was kind of the same case.
The thing is very few people remember him before the injury. He was fantastic and had a ton of promise. He was calm like Dumo in his zone with some grit to his game and hate when he saw it fit to make them feel that hate.

But that first shoulder injury derailed him heavily. I think he has two surgeries on it that same year. Never came back the same. When your lead shoulder for hitting is damaged, you never recover.

He didn't have just one or two on his shoulder he had several within a 2yr span. I remember his rookie year, he was growing in his confidence and looking like a legit top 4 that could be more then the injury and that was it...became someone people mocked and joked about.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
He held his own vs Rob Ray.

People really don't remember Melichar. He was the first Defense prospect that I was high on and had promise. Then after his injuries I gave up hope on being hopeful about prospects.

When Olli went through his it was tough but his issues were his skating.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad