Let's Forget Some Guys

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
He was rated fairly well in EA NHL games so I'd always sign him and he'd end up being my 2nd liner. Back when we had shit prospects.

Which isn't much different now.

A victim of the incredible run of terrible 2nd round picks by this organization from 1996 - 2011. It looks like Teddy may have broken the curse if things keep looking up for him. Take a look at this murderers' row:

Pavel Skrbek
Brian Gaffaney
Alexander Zevakhin
Matt Murley
Jeremy Van Hoof (allegedly an actual real person and not a Craig Patrick fever dream hallucination)
Shane Endicott
Noah Welch
Ondrec Nemec
Ryan Stone
Johannes Salmonsson
Michael Gergen
Carl Sneep
Keven Vellieux
Philip Samuelson
Scott Harrington....the most successful of the bunch, has held the 7th D spot in Columbus for a bit.

I don't even know if you could make that many misses if you were actively trying. It's impressive.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
IIRC the Penguins actually had a pretty rippin prospect pool after the 04 draft... it was that they had nothing on the actual NHL roster aside from Orpik and Malone, essentially.

Of course OF that prospect pool... most didn't pan out. But at the time...

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
IIRC the Penguins actually had a pretty rippin prospect pool after the 04 draft... it was that they had nothing on the actual NHL roster aside from Orpik and Malone, essentially.

I was convinced Daniel Fernholm was going to be the new Lidstrom.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
@SomeDude isn’t Keven Veilleux (the weird Lemieux doppelgänger) a bloke that was booted for being racist?

We can definitely forget that asshole. 6’5” of uselessness.

The racism was a cherry on top after it was already clear he was a bust, but yeah, some blew up in more spectacular fashions than others.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Simon+Despres+Anaheim+Ducks+v+New+Jersey+Devils+ZyePBWB94AZl.jpg

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

A lot of them were used in trades to get us other guys. Most of which didn't pan out. That said, I can't really think of anyone we've traded away that's gone on to do big things. Only 2 or 3 of the picks we've traded away have been big time impacts (Barzel being the best of the bunch).

I remember Morrow for Morrow being a tough pill to swallow and I still lament over it but we did get Guentzel out of that so...

I was convinced Daniel Fernholm was going to be the new Lidstrom.

We thought Olli Maatta was showing that upside as well.

@SomeDude isn’t Keven Veilleux (the weird Lemieux doppelgänger) a bloke that was booted for being racist?

We can definitely forget that asshole. 6’5” of uselessness.

Indeed he was. He got hurt quite a bit too. Can't remember what he said nor should it be repeated but I do remember it being after it was kinda known he wasn't coming to the big show so while it was a loss, it wasn't of big impact. There was someone else we had that got in trouble for running their mouth as well but the name escapes me.

Why forget poor Elmer? :(

JR is sooooo friggin lucky that Scuds for Daley worked out so well.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
A lot of them were used in trades to get us other guys. Most of which didn't pan out. That said, I can't really think of anyone we've traded away that's gone on to do big things. Only 2 or 3 of the picks we've traded away have been big time impacts (Barzel being the best of the bunch).

I remember Morrow for Morrow being a tough pill to swallow and I still lament over it but we did get Guentzel out of that so...

I went back and checked. A lot of nobody for nobody trades.

Notables:
To SJS: 2007 7th round pick (#201-Justin Braun)
To PIT: Nolan Schaefer

To EDM: Dany Sabourin, Ryan Stone, 2011 4th round pick (#113-Tobias Rieder)
To Pit: Mathieu Garon

To PIT: Alexei Kovalev
To OTT: 2011 contitional pick (#203-Ryan Dzingel)

To EDM: Rob Klinkhammer, 1st (Brazal to NYI)
To PIT: Perron

Sam Steel in the Kessel trade

Since the lockout...that's about it. All of the trading and swapping, I have angst over the likes of Tobias Rieder, Ryan Dzingel, and Just Braun.

Sam Steel got us Kessel and Barzal got us Hagelin and both of them got us 2 Cups so...good trade.

Granted there comes a point in about 2018 where it's too early to see if those trades from then on were impactful losses.

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
A victim of the incredible run of terrible 2nd round picks by this organization from 1996 - 2011. It looks like Teddy may have broken the curse if things keep looking up for him. Take a look at this murderers' row:

Pavel Skrbek
Brian Gaffaney
Alexander Zevakhin
Matt Murley
Jeremy Van Hoof (allegedly an actual real person and not a Craig Patrick fever dream hallucination)
Shane Endicott
Noah Welch
Ondrec Nemec
Ryan Stone
Johannes Salmonsson
Michael Gergen
Carl Sneep
Keven Vellieux
Philip Samuelson
Scott Harrington....the most successful of the bunch, has held the 7th D spot in Columbus for a bit.

I don't even know if you could make that many misses if you were actively trying. It's impressive.

Good lord.

Reactions: BHD

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Wasn't Noah Welch supposed to be a cornerstone on D for the future?
Concussions didn't help. He was used in the deal to get Gary "Too Much Man" Roberts if I remember correctly. But he was a big bloke, 6'4" , that could skate and was solid in his own end and had the hybrid PMD ability, I think he had like 5 or 4pts in his first stint with the team in around 5 or 6 games? A very solid prospect with potential, but he suffered a concussion with the Panthers and never really got a chance to do much in Florida.

Reactions: BHD

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Since we are talking about Despres, all of the bluechip defensemen that Shero accumulated.

Despres, Dumoulin, Harrington, Maatta, Morrow, Pouliot...

Plus, the NHL roster featured Letang, Martin, and Niskanen. After numerous HF articles (when they still published them) and countless roster threads, Letang and Dumo are the only ones left.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Since we are talking about Despres, all of the bluechip defensemen that Shero accumulated.

Despres, Dumoulin, Harrington, Maatta, Morrow, Pouliot...

Plus, the NHL roster featured Letang, and Martin, Niskanen. After numerous HF articles (when they still published them) and countless roster threads, Letang and Dumo are the only ones left.
Morrow probably pisses me off the most, because he just figured he didn't need to work on his game, but he had the talent to be a Letang type of player with his mean streak. Even after he was traded, he still couldn't get over himself but now he didn't even believe in himself anymore.

What a waste.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Morrow probably pisses me off the most, because he just figured he didn't need to work on his game, but he had the talent to be a Letang type of player with his mean streak. Even after he was traded, he still couldn't get over himself but now he didn't even believe in himself anymore.

What a waste.

I just remember the prospect pool being highly touted. Turns out, only three of them have had noteworthy careers.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

steelcityassault

Sep 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
The racism was a cherry on top after it was already clear he was a bust, but yeah, some blew up in more spectacular fashions than others.
J Bombulie (WBS writer) and myself at the time agreed he was having one of the best rookie AHL seasons from a power forward ever. I remember he missed his only NHL call-up chance when Pens were ridiculously depleted playing in Chicago. They took Tim Wallace up for the 3rd time that month.

Still Apps

The New Gig
Jan 10, 2012
Home
I liked Miro...

Every time I remember that the Pens traded Larry Murphy to Toronto one-for-one for "Miro" it's enough for me to want to weep uncontrollably into my lager. I've always suspected that Craig Patrick was confused and thought he was trading for Dmitri's brother Boris who was the better player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad