Let's Forget Some Guys

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Not popular to say this...

But Zigmund Palffy. I was so excited to see him sign and he couldn't take the time off to sort his injuries out first? He was good when he was healthy but that was all of 42 games in a 3yr contract. The asshole then retires and makes a comeback a year and a half to two years later.

All the f***ing clown had to do was get proper surgery on his shoulder during lockout. That's literally all he had to do.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Like the f***er played 5 seasons after. All he needed was rest and to recover from a shoulder issue proper and he would have put up career numbers. Hell that first run intro into the playoffs vs the Sens might have ended differently too.

That one would always bother me. The what if of it all. He was at a ppg with a bum shoulder. Had he just taken the rest of that season off and healed he would have came back the next season with a vengeance.

I’m hoping on the anti-Orpeck train. Screw that guy.
His cardboard cutout had more personality.

Reactions: Mario_is_BACK!!

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I nominate washed up John LeClair. Sure, he helped develop Ryan Malone, but he also injured Geno before his first NHL game.
46c18f1a76644f3cf699507ad86cbb2d.jpg

Poor guy starved to death in 06/07.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish

But Zigmund Palffy. I was so excited to see him sign and he couldn't take the time off to sort his injuries out first? He was good when he was healthy but that was all of 42 games in a 3yr contract. The asshole then retires and makes a comeback a year and a half to two years later.

All the f***ing clown had to do was get proper surgery on his shoulder during lockout. That's literally all he had to do.

I'm somehow the opposite. Even though the guy quiet on the team in snake fashion, I loved him so much before he was a Penguin his time here was like a shooting star to me. Brief yet mesmerizing.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
How about Ivan Hlinka? I'm pretty sure he was brought in just to try to diffuse the increasingly unstable Jagr bomb and they ended up getting into it.

"Players said Hlinka rarely talked to the team before or during games and that Kehoe -- a former Penguins player -- often did most of the talking and handled many of the in-game moves. The Penguins ordered Hlinka to take English lessons during the offseason, but he instead returned to the Czech Republic. "Total chaos," said one player. "By the time Hlinka figures out what to say, it's too late. It's already time to say something else."

With quotes like that, it's easier to understand why it only took 4 games into the season for them to ax him.

Reactions: Mario_is_BACK!!

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'm somehow the opposite. Even though the guy quiet on the team in snake fashion, I loved him so much before he was a Penguin his time here was like a shooting star to me. Brief yet mesmerizing.
That’s the thing, I was a huge fan of that goal celebration kissing Jagr fanboy. I was so excited for him to join the pens I got a jersey in home and away in those awful Vegas gold ones.

then after 42 games he quit on the team and “retired” for a year.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
This seems to be controversial but it shouldn't be. Must be a nostalgia thing... I dunno. Even within the context of the league at the time which was more kind to his style of play he still stunk and Penguins fans still drank the Kool Aid. Diving in front of a flailing out of position MAF to save some crucial goals gets a boatload of mileage I suppose.

My answer is Dupuis. Yeah yeah yeah I know. I'm a monster. But I was never super fond of him being stapled to Crosby to begin with (especially as Kunitz started to fade) and then the whole "hey he might die on the ice he might not" bloodclot thing went down and I was just beyond ready for him to move on to greener pastures with his 20 children. He also found himself at the center of some rumor-mongering controversy a few years back involving Malkin and Kessel IIRC.

Am I crazy or do I remember Dupuis telling a young player to stop practicing so hard?

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

He didn't want to play for Pittsburgh, and said as much to the Slovak press. :dunno:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Mine would be to all the big 4th liners but Daniel Winnik is a guy who epitomizes the idea GMs had for 4th lines for waaaaaaaaaaay too long. Lines like the Buzz Line were showing they can be annoying gnats. Instead Winnik got to be part of a few teams that shit the bed in a bad way. And it's that exact type of player as to why.

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
Wow, it's amazing how fast a base will turn on a player or negate all of the positives due to a bad season or two. I'd much rather remember the good they brought than forget them all together. Guess that's just me though.

Only ones I can currently think of are Downie (hated him pre-penguin, as a penguin, and post penguin - absolutely no respect for him) and Iginla (not because of anything he did, but just because I was so excited that we actually landed him and how we butchered his entire time here).

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Is there a website that lists players that have played with Sid or Geno? Because 90% of those players are trash. Shero’s low risk, low reward dumpster diving of misfits.

Also, add all of the players that have assaulted women in the past. The list is too long to write.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
f*** Matt Niskanen

Harry Zolniercyzk

Michel Ouellete

Brett Sterling

Ryan Craig ( a name so bland I can't remember a thing about him)

Tim Wallace

Cal O'Reilly

I don't know why but Surovy is a guy that game to mind after Ouellet. He was a guy that I thought had more to give in the NHL but after that first season back to went back overseas.

Lol, Brett Sterling. Maybe we should start of thread for the randos that have been Sid's RW over the years.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Am I crazy or do I remember Dupuis telling a young player to stop practicing so hard?

Wasn't it Beau Bennett when he took over as 1RW and Duper got demoted to the 3rd line? I also remember a "try not to wear yourself out" like comment as well.

I am not a Duper lover. I would put him on this list of guys I'd like to forget. When looking at the amazing story line of the 2015-16 season, I think people underestimate the impact of him retiring had. He was still around but not on the ice. That opened up a slot for a young guy as well. He was just one of those "Dude...you need to go away now" players at the time. Maybe not unlike Kunitz the following year.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I don't know why but Surovy is a guy that game to mind after Ouellet. He was a guy that I thought had more to give in the NHL but after that first season back to went back overseas.

Lol, Brett Sterling. Maybe we should start of thread for the randos that have been Sid's RW over the years.

It would be fun (and depressing) to do a Randos Team based on all the flotsam and jetsam stuck on Crosby and Malkin's wings (or centers in really dumb cases) over the years.

Wasn't it Beau Bennett when he took over as 1RW and Duper got demoted to the 3rd line? I also remember a "try not to wear yourself out" like comment as well.

I am not a Duper lover. I would put him on this list of guys I'd like to forget. When looking at the amazing story line of the 2015-16 season, I think people underestimate the impact of him retiring had. He was still around but not on the ice. That opened up a slot for a young guy as well. He was just one of those "Dude...you need to go away now" players at the time. Maybe not unlike Kunitz the following year.

Like I said earlier it sure would have been fun to see prime Crosby with a dominant RW for a few seasons, at least. But nah there were just too many random defensemen the team HAD to have and money to spend on the third and fourth line, instead. Can't have Jordan Staal getting grumpy, after all.

Thank goodness there is at least Guentzel in the last few years so we could watch some of the things Crosby was TRULY capable of.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
What a punk ass bitch.

Glad he'll never be on the Stanley cup in any capacity.

The Palffy's are also Hungarian royalty, and while they lost lots of land and titles during the 20th century, the Palffy family was pretty loaded IIRC. Ziggy just decided he'd rather rehab in Slovakia and go on to play in his homeland rather than go back to NA. I have no hard feelings about it, I guess, as someone making the exact opposite choice. :laugh: :dunno:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah I mean I guess I have a tinge of bitterness for him "running off" but he sustained an injury, was already in his mid 30s and the team was HORRIBLE. Like seriously just the bottom of the barrel. A total shitshow nightmare.

Does it entirely excuse it? Maybe not. But putting myself in his position I dunno that wouldn't do the same. Sivek (from Jagr trade) in same boat though he obviously wasn't an elite talent like Palffy.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The Palffy's are also Hungarian royalty, and while they lost lots of land and titles during the 20th century, the Palffy family was pretty loaded IIRC. Ziggy just decided he'd rather rehab in Slovakia and go on to play in his homeland rather than go back to NA. I have no hard feelings about it, I guess, as someone making the exact opposite choice. :laugh: :dunno:
giphy.gif

Reactions: EightyOne

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad