Player Discussion: Leo Komarov

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
I’m no expert but I believe we don’t gain any cap space if it’s just a loan as opposed to a mutual contract termination. Maybe someone more informed can clarify.

I think you are right. Leo still gets paid, there's still a cap hit. He just gets to play somewhere, and somewhere thats not the AHL.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I'll never begrudge a guy who took a generous contract - its not his fault Lou offered him a deal that was at least one year too long. He did what he was expected to do - the team needed a guy like him. And at the time, more so than we do now. Who knows....if things get dicey and we get hit with the injury bug, way may still see Leo this year. A couple of injuries on the 4th line and the need for Leo increases significantly. Until then, I hope he gets a chance to play.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Probably will not get the credit he deserves when Lou's first 2 moves was to get Martin and Leo in an Isles jersey when he became the GM to change the culture of the Isles. It was badly needed at the time. Seems like so many years ago, but I remember it well. The organization was due to for a big renovation. Also recall Trotz telling the story that he did not know much about Leo, only that Lou said you will love this guy. Trotz by his usage did. Leo is a proud guy, not surprised he would rather play in SKA than the AHL. I think the Isles will miss him in the room, his ability to lighten up the mood. Also his PK and primarily his defensive play with some bite in his game 5 v 5. He served the Isles well for 3 of the Isles best years in decades. Also recall the story of him being the person in breaking up the Martin/Babcock disagreement on the Marner incident years ago. That's the type of guy he was. It was always nice to have a conscience in the dressing room. All the best to Leo. I am sure he and Lou will stay in touch. Lou always looks after players he likes.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Seems more like a playing time thing vs. contract termination. Unless Lou spoke with him that his contract is limiting his opportunities to play with other teams based on cap constraints. He's a $3M cap hit w/$2M salary, so that should be attractive to someone at some point.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
This maybe similar to what the Rangers did with Kravtsov - anloan eith the option to return when KHL season is over.

IslesCLT

Apr 25, 2019
Charlotte
Besides me, 4 other posts recognizing what Leo was for us then your "Good riddance", the only post like it.

Thank you for reaffirming what the rest of us were seeing.
He’d rather have the Doug Weight days of losing pretty.

Probably be better off as a Leafs fan.

Reactions: MJF and JKP

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Besides me, 4 other posts recognizing what Leo was for us then your "Good riddance", the only post like it.

Thank you for reaffirming what the rest of us were seeing.
If you think I am the only Isles fan who does not care to ever see this guy in an Isles jersey again, then you are nuts. The people on this board do not represent the fanbase. And either way, I am entitled to my opinion. We have at least 2-3 forwards not in the lineup who should slot in before Komarov. Unless we get 4 or 5 injuries at one time, we do not need him.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
If you think I am the only Isles fan who does not care to ever see this guy in an Isles jersey again, then you are nuts. The people on this board do not represent the fanbase. And either way, I am entitled to my opinion. We have at least 2-3 forwards not in the lineup who should slot in before Komarov. Unless we get 4 or 5 injuries at one time, we do not need him.

Everybody is nuts but you. That's why you always give it to us straight!

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
While I wasn't always the biggest fan of his deployment, that wasn't on him. He was a great PKer and apparently an awesome glue guy in the locker room. He was also great at sneakily getting under opponents skin. Thanks for being part of the culture change here on the Isle, good luck Uncle Leo!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad