Player Discussion: Leo Komarov

thegoldenyear

RIP Mike Bossy
May 13, 2013
Toronto
Hands of stone, heart of a lion. It's time to call time, but that's no reflection on the man.

In The Great Reconstruction of 2018, I think Leo was like training wheels in a hockey jersey, and considering how things have gone since Lou ripped up the floorboards, I'd consider his tenure an easy net positive. History oughtta recall him fondly 'round these parts. It takes a village to raise a child, right? Intangibles, right?

Just for sh*ts and giggles, per the league site:

"To have one's name engraved on the Stanley Cup certain requirements must be met. A player must have at least 41 games played with the club or one game played in the Stanley Cup Finals. However, in 1994 a stipulation was added to allow a team to petition the Commissioner for permission to have players' names put on the Cup if extenuating circumstances prevented them from being available to play."

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Hands of stone, heart of a lion. It's time to call time, but that's no reflection on the man.

In The Great Reconstruction of 2018, I think Leo was like training wheels in a hockey jersey, and considering how things have gone since Lou ripped up the floorboards, I'd consider his tenure an easy net positive. History oughtta recall him fondly 'round these parts. It takes a village to raise a child, right? Intangibles, right?

Just for sh*ts and giggles, per the league site:

"To have one's name engraved on the Stanley Cup certain requirements must be met. A player must have at least 41 games played with the club or one game played in the Stanley Cup Finals. However, in 1994 a stipulation was added to allow a team to petition the Commissioner for permission to have players' names put on the Cup if extenuating circumstances prevented them from being available to play."

Extenuating circumstances definitely doesn't mean contract termination though. :laugh:

Reactions: thegoldenyear

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Fair thee well Leo. Greatly appreciate what Leo brought this team over the last couple of years. He deserved what he was paid IMO.
If you look at solely his point production, he was overpaid. If you consider only his on-ice contributions, you still might have a valid argument.

If you look at his overall value to a team restructuring and creating a new identity, he's been worth every penny. The fact that the team has turned itself around, and been very successful quicker than anyone would have expected, is probably why the last year of his contract seems too much.

A smart signing by Lou.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
all good things about the cap. i also think this is good, as we need to get a bit younger.

need that blend of ambitious youth, and grizzled vet.

slurpee addict

Winter is Coming
Jul 13, 2018
Winnipeg
I never felt like we were a lesser team with Leo in the line-up. Pretty sure his first line deployment was a bit much, but you never got anything other than 100% effort and he was effective in doing all the things you need those third and fourth line guys to do - just not on the top line. All the best Leo - you deserve it. No room in this years line-up, but this is a win win overall.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
If Martin was injured, Leo would be a perfectly fine replacement for him on our 4th line. Problem is - we have Ross Johnston waiting in the wings and Leo probably didn’t want to wait for 2-3 injuries to potentially get some playing time nor did he want to play in the AHL. This way, he gets to play for a year or two before wrapping up his career and the Islanders get some cap relief.

win/win for everyone.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Wouldn’t surprise me one bit as playoff time approaches, rosters expanding and injuries mounting up we see Leo on a cup contender. Maybe even here.
Huh? We are going to use the cap space we just earned while trying to go for the cup by bringing BACK Leo Komarov??!!! No.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Huh? We are going to use the cap space we just earned while trying to go for the cup by bringing BACK Leo Komarov??!!! No.

Pretty sure teams can't do that too. Terminating a contract and then re-signing the player seems like cap circumvention.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
There was an MSG special a year or two ago about Leo and I'm not sure if it was just his personality but a move back "home" seemed like a long time coming.

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY

We didnt gain any cap space by lending out Leo to the KHL anyway. All we are saving is the already accounted for buried cap of sending him down. Im not sure I believe Staple's report that his contract is being terminated until I see it on CapFriendly :)

But if its true, bringing him back later would certainly seem like cap circumvention.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
We didnt gain any cap space by lending out Leo to the KHL anyway. All we are saving is the already accounted for buried cap of sending him down.

So yeah, I guess calling him up to the Isles would lose that buried cap space - but if there was a long term injury on the 4th line, he might be one of their best options?
Are you living under a rock? They are terminating his contract. He is no longer a member of the Islanders and his entire cap hit is gone.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Remember when Jack Edwards thought Leo brutally murdered Pastrnak?
If Uncle Leo had actually hit Pastrnak, there would have been 37 different video angles clearly showing it. All we ever saw was the original TV angle, which didn't show anything.

Similar to the way the Boston crews quickly turn away from any part of a scrum with Marchand involved, so they can pretend he isn't jabbing away with his stick. You only see him doing it on other team feeds.

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2