Player Discussion: Leo Komarov

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Did anyone notice when they showed the highlight of the Isles' bench when the OT goal went it, every player jumped over the boards to join the celebration except Leo. He walked down to the door. I'm not sure if it's because he was tired from dishing out 14 hits, or if it's just Leo being Leo. He's probably thinking, "what's the rush - no one's going anywhere - I'll use the door".

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Did anyone notice when they showed the highlight of the Isles' bench when the OT goal went it, every player jumped over the boards to join the celebration except Leo. He walked down to the door. I'm not sure if it's because he was tired from dishing out 14 hits, or if it's just Leo being Leo. He's probably thinking, "what's the rush - no one's going anywhere - I'll use the door".
I noticed. Kind of liked that. It's like it's one game, I am not going to get ahead of myself. We still have 3 to go. I am sure he was happy, you need diverse personalities on a team. Having one that is grounded is not a bad thing. I've heard enough throughout the years about what Leo does to a room. I think this is a good example. I could tell the story of him playing a piano at a hotel when players were looking all over for him. That was amusing story.

Thinking about funny Leo moments, remember this one?

Olliemets

Mar 1, 2018
Croton on Hudson, NY
Loved that play in the second period on the PK against Matheson. Where Komarov recognized he wouldn’t win the race to the puck in the corner… so he let Matheson get it, then used his leverage to take him off the puck to generate a scoring chance for Pageau.

JPG and Leo were something else on that very huge PK. I smelled us down 3-1 going into 3rd. In some ways this changed the momentum in the game.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC

Uncle Leo always leaves early to beat the traffic

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Just found out that Leo Komarov is born in Estonia (Soviet Union). He plays for the Finnish national team, he got a Russian name (sort of) and he speaks Swedish. I guess he also speaks Russian, English and Finnish. No wonder he is a good guy to have in the locker room.

"Leonid Komarov" is as Russian as a name gets.

Yep, he comes from the Russian Estonians. Moved to Finland at a young age right after Soviet Union imploded. Speaks native Russian, Estonian, Finnish, Swedish, and fluent English and gibberish. Dearly loved for his long career as the wrecking ball and heart and soul of Finland's NT. (Leo, the Lions, get it?)

All hail king Leonidas. This... is... Long Island! :toothless

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
"Leonid Komarov" is as Russian as a name gets.

Yep, he comes from the Russian Estonians. Moved to Finland at a young age right after Soviet Union imploded. Speaks native Russian, Estonian, Finnish, Swedish, and fluent English and gibberish. Dearly loved for his long career as the wrecking ball and heart and soul of Finland's NT. (Leo, the Lions, get it?)

All hail king Leonidas. This... is... Long Island! :toothless
Komarov (Russian: Комаров, from комар = mosquito)

Leo Komarov is the lion mosquito.

How's that for an appropriate name?

Reactions: Stubu

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Was going to put this in the Wally thread, but it's more appropriate here. The thing about Leo is he brings winning wherever he plays. Coincidence or not? He's won the Gangarin Cup twice, a World Championship once. It just seems where he plays, the team is better, even if the individual stats say otherwise.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Was going to put this in the Wally thread, but it's more appropriate here. The thing about Leo is he brings winning wherever he plays. Coincidence or not? He's won the Gangarin Cup twice, a World Championship once. It just seems where he plays, the team is better, even if the individual stats say otherwise.
He wasn't picked eleven times in eleven years for the Finnish national team, which won a gold, two silver, and two bronze with him, because he was a great goal scorer.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
He wasn't picked eleven times in eleven years for the Finnish national team, which won a gold, two silver, and two bronze with him, because he was a great goal scorer.
Which national teams are you referring to as not picking him in those 11 years? Komarov was on the most recent Finnish Olympic team that included NHLers, their most recent World Cup team, and 7 different World Championships teams, including the most recent one where his NHL team failed to qualify for the playoffs.

Reactions: buud

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Which national teams are you referring to as not picking him in those 11 years? Komarov was on the most recent Finnish Olympic team that included NHLers, their most recent World Cup team, and 7 different World Championships teams, including the most recent one where his NHL team failed to qualify for the playoffs.
Maybe read it again. I didn't say he wasn't picked. I said he wasn't picked for his scoring.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Maybe read it again. I didn't say he wasn't picked. I said he wasn't picked for his scoring.
I mean, you literally said "he wasn't picked." But ok, blame me for your poor sentence structure making the meaning unclear when I was just trying to ask what you were trying to say.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I mean, you literally said "he wasn't picked." But ok, blame me for your poor sentence structure making the meaning unclear when I was just trying to ask what you were trying to say.
I literally said "he wasn't picked ... because of his scoring".

Ok, maybe I should have simplified the sentence. How about this:

He was picked eleven times in eleven years for the Finnish national team, which won a gold, two silver, and two bronze with him. He wasn't picked because he was a great goal scorer, but for his other talents.

Reactions: beach

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site

He was picked eleven times in eleven years for the Finnish national team, which won a gold, two silver, and two bronze with him. He wasn't picked because he was a great goal scorer, but for his other talents.
Yes, using two sentences instead of a single run on sentence is generally recommended. Not that it's a big deal which you go with, but just saying don't blame others if you choose to write a run on sentence and someone asks you to clarify it.

Also, when you use quotation marks, you should quote accurately and not change the wording. You did not literally say that, though I do now understand that was the implication you were intending.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here

Uh oh, watch out! The annoying grammar police have arrived.

Reactions: MJF

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Uh oh, watch out! The annoying grammar police have arrived.
Sorry for being annoying, I legitimately was just looking for clarification of what he meant. But next time I'm not sure I'm understanding someone's post, I'll just make up what it means instead and stick with that.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Sorry for being annoying, I legitimately was just looking for clarification of what he meant. But next time I'm not sure I'm understanding someone's post, I'll just make up what it means instead and stick with that.
I thought his post was clearly stated. Even if you didn't think it was clear, was a multi-post grammatical debate necessary?

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I thought his post was clearly stated. Even if you didn't think it was clear, was a multi-post grammatical debate necessary?
Obviously I did misunderstand it, otherwise I wouldn't have tried to clarify it.

But no, it was not necessary, and had he not been condescending for misunderstanding what was at best an ambiguously phrased sentence, or asked a follow up question about grammar afterwards, then I wouldn't have mentioned grammar at all.

But for someone who supposedly wants people not to post about grammar, why are you still asking about it and extending the conversation further? Just let it die and move on; I already agreed to not ask for clarification of people's points.

Reactions: Old Man Perriwinkle

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Obviously I did misunderstand it, otherwise I wouldn't have tried to clarify it.

But no, it was not necessary, and had he not been condescending for misunderstanding what was at best an ambiguously phrased sentence, or asked a follow up question about grammar afterwards, then I wouldn't have mentioned grammar at all.

But for someone who supposedly wants people not to post about grammar, why are you still asking about it and extending the conversation further? Just let it die and move on; I already agreed to not ask for clarification of people's points.
We're all Islanders. Here for the same reason. LFG!

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
Leo had a role on this team, it just wasn't on the 1st line. I think he gets bought out this summer...

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
Leo sure is a smart player.
He still managed to be effective player even the burden of years is quite clear.
So so sad that Cup slipped away from him as he is quite a warior and person. Damn.

Are you his burner account? I’m glad he is a nice person. The fact that he couldn’t do anything with the puck is a large reason for 0 offense

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
When Leo was signed, I remember the vast majority of us agreed upon the contract was one year too long. Now I think all of us agrees.

I won’t blame him for being inefficient on the first line though, he should never have been playing there. When he was signed Lou stated that he is the best guy you can have in the locker room...

I hope they’ll buy him out and hire him as a staff member instead.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad