Player Discussion: Leo Komarov

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
@Seph I forgot to quote lol Blackwell was also near a p/pg in the A. You put Komarov down there and I doubt he is even close to .5 p/pg. blackwell has been figuring it out since last year, while Komarov is getting worse. They aren’t close at this point. Blackwell is superior to Komarov at this point. Hence why one is in the lineup and one isn’t. They tried Leo with Barzy and it didn’t work. Blackwell on the other hand is thriving.
Ah, so you were using AHL stats as your primary stat argument, as I suspected. Also, Blackwell is 28 and has struggled to make it on any NHL team, so it's not like Leo struggling to stay on a much deeper forward squad is really any different.

But sorry, Panarin is better at elevating his linemates than Barzal right now. Barzal has a lot of room to grow still, but trying to act like it isn't Panarin making Strome and Blackwood look a lot better than they are is ignoring everything they've done at the NHL level prior.

Reactions: MattMartin

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
You comparing Blackwell and Strome to Leo ? Lol You realize Strome is 10x the producer Leo is and Blackwell is bottom 6 forward at worst. Leo is a 4th liner at best. Only reason he isn’t there is because we have Martin Zeeker and clutter

I’m not saying Leo hasn’t been okay there, but if you are comparing the 3... there is no comparison. Panarin is also much better than Barzal lol Let’s not forget that part
Yes, they are not ideal 'top 6 producers'.

Leo brought something to the line. Blackwell and Strome bring something to the line. It's about maximizing your roster and making lines work with different skill sets.

Leo cannot stickhandle through a phone booth but Ebs and Barzy can. They also don't play physical nor have a clue what to do in the D zone. Lee brought a lot of that to the line.

I'm not a fan of having Leo on the first line at all and I'm pumped at Zajac looking alright there because he can win faceoffs and play defensive hockey but to put everything on Leo was wrong when the line wasn't working.

My point with Strome and Blackwell is that Blackwell wasn't an NHL regular but fits the same way Parenteau did with Tavares, brought a skill set needed opposite Panarin that's creating success. And that's ok.

Reactions: MattMartin

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
He's an above average 13th forward who can play all three forward positions.

Edit: And he's overpaid and he's under contract for a year too long

Reactions: NC 1972

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Yes, they are not ideal 'top 6 producers'.

Leo brought something to the line. Blackwell and Strome bring something to the line. It's about maximizing your roster and making lines work with different skill sets.

Leo cannot stickhandle through a phone booth but Ebs and Barzy can. They also don't play physical nor have a clue what to do in the D zone. Lee brought a lot of that to the line.

I'm not a fan of having Leo on the first line at all and I'm pumped at Zajac looking alright there because he can win faceoffs and play defensive hockey but to put everything on Leo was wrong when the line wasn't working.

My point with Strome and Blackwell is that Blackwell wasn't an NHL regular but fits the same way Parenteau did with Tavares, brought a skill set needed opposite Panarin that's creating success. And that's ok.

Leo did admiral for being put on spot duty with Barzal and Eberle. I think we all agree he's not the solution but some have their own way of expressing that...

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
He's an above average 13th forward who can play all three forward positions.

Edit: And he's overpaid and he's under contract for a year too long
That was done to change the culture and mature the youth. That final year was probably to align with where the felt the team would be, which might a year ahead of schedule.

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
Just found out that Leo Komarov is born in Estonia (Soviet Union). He plays for the Finnish national team, he got a Russian name (sort of) and he speaks Swedish. I guess he also speaks Russian, English and Finnish. No wonder he is a good guy to have in the locker room.

Reactions: CPFC

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Just found out that Leo Komarov is born in Estonia (Soviet Union). He plays for the Finnish national team, he got a Russian name (sort of) and he speaks Swedish. I guess he also speaks Russian, English and Finnish. No wonder he is a good guy to have in the locker room.

Jack of all trades (except offense), master of none (especially offense).

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Every time we're about to pull out our hair (for those of us who have hair) for Leo being out there when he shouldn't he has a fantastic game, does something that only a savvy vet can do and we're all happy that we have him. And then he reverts back to the mean, takes a foolish stick penalty and its the same cycle.

Leo is a great guy to have on your team. He was just signed for a year too long and we don't really have an opening for where he'd fit perfectly. I suspect that if Matty Marts got hurt, Leo would fit in seamlessly there.

Reactions: JoeM

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Yes, he is fluent in Finnish, Swedish, Russian, and English. He also has a gold, two silver, and two bronze medals in international competition, playing for Finland, and a KHL championship.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Every time we're about to pull out our hair (for those of us who have hair) for Leo being out there when he shouldn't he has a fantastic game, does something that only a savvy vet can do and we're all happy that we have him. And then he reverts back to the mean, takes a foolish stick penalty and its the same cycle.

Leo is a great guy to have on your team. He was just signed for a year too long and we don't really have an opening for where he'd fit perfectly. I suspect that if Matty Marts got hurt, Leo would fit in seamlessly there.
He's taken two penalties all year, and on the only stick one we were all complaining that it shouldn't have been called.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
He's taken two penalties all year, and on the only stick one we were all complaining that it shouldn't have been called.
I wasn't just talking about this year, but I hear ya. Overall, he's been a big positive this year. A part of the Islanders success. He should probably be relegated to spot starts going forward but I've got no issue with him.

Reactions: JKP, JoeM and beach

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I wasn't just talking about this year, but I hear ya. Overall, he's been a big positive this year. A part of the Islanders success. He should probably be relegated to spot starts going forward but I've got no issue with him.
I think that's more perception than fact.

This year, among forwards, he's 8th in penalty minutes per time on ice, behind Ross, Martin, Wahlstrom, Barzal, Cizikas, Bellows, and Lee.

Last year, he was 16th!

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I think that's more perception than fact.

This year, among forwards, he's 8th in penalty minutes per time on ice, behind Ross, Martin, Wahlstrom, Barzal, Cizikas, Bellows, and Lee.

Last year, he was 16th!
If you have a few games where you take an interference penalty or hook from behind in the last 5 minutes of the 3rd period you get branded for life.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Yes, he is fluent in Finnish, Swedish, Russian, and English. He also has a gold, two silver, and two bronze medals in international competition, playing for Finland, and a KHL championship.
He is also pretty adept at playing the piano, note, for parties if and when the Isles have a team party one day post pandemic.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
It's a good quality Isles fans have of not carrying a grudge.

WastefulTallBagworm-max-1mb.gif

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
Ah, so you were using AHL stats as your primary stat argument, as I suspected. Also, Blackwell is 28 and has struggled to make it on any NHL team, so it's not like Leo struggling to stay on a much deeper forward squad is really any different.

But sorry, Panarin is better at elevating his linemates than Barzal right now. Barzal has a lot of room to grow still, but trying to act like it isn't Panarin making Strome and Blackwood look a lot better than they are is ignoring everything they've done at the NHL level prior.
Regardless of how I got to my conclusion, the bottom line is Blackwell is superior to Komarov at this stage in their careers. Their isn’t a single NHL GM or exec who would take Leo over Blackwell. Wether you like my AHL or last 2 seasons in NHL to use as comparisons... one is MUCH better then the other. That was all I was getting at.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Regardless of how I got to my conclusion, the bottom line is Blackwell is superior to Komarov at this stage in their careers. Their isn’t a single NHL GM or exec who would take Leo over Blackwell. Wether you like my AHL or last 2 seasons in NHL to use as comparisons... one is MUCH better then the other. That was all I was getting at.
If you want to use Blackwell's last two seasons, he has 3 goals and 10 points in 33 games, which is still very on par with Leo's production. You're basing pretty much the entirety of your analysis of Blackwell on his play with Panarin and Strome, which only further proves my point that his play has been significantly elevated by playing with them.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
If you want to use Blackwell's last two seasons, he has 3 goals and 10 points in 33 games, which is still very on par with Leo's production. You're basing pretty much the entirety of your analysis of Blackwell on his play with Panarin and Strome, which only further proves my point that his play has been significantly elevated by playing with them.
10 points in 33 games ? Where are you getting that lol blackwell has 17 points in 32 games this year and 10 points in 27 games last year with Nashville. Last 2 years Blackwell has 27 points in 59 games (on pace for 38 points in an 82 game season). Komarov has 19 in his last 72. I never said Blackwell game isn’t being helped by Panarin... I said he is superior over Leo regardless. Before Panarin, Last year with Nashville, Blackwell was at .4 ppg. Leo hasn’t been .4 ppg since 2016 with Toronto lol

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
10 points in 33 games ? Where are you getting that lol blackwell has 17 points in 32 games this year and 10 points in 27 games last year with Nashville. Last 2 years Blackwell has 27 points in 59 games (on pace for 38 points in an 82 game season). Komarov has 19 in his last 72. I never said Blackwell game isn’t being helped by Panarin... I said he is superior over Leo regardless. Before Panarin, Last year with Nashville, Blackwell was at .4 ppg. Leo hasn’t been .4 ppg since 2016 with Toronto lol
Yeah, the last two seasons prior to playing with Panarin and Strome are 2018-2019 where he had zero points in 6 games and 2019-20 where he had 3 goals and 10 points in 27 games. You keep including thr season where he's played with Panarin/Strome to make your argument, just like I said. And as I have pointed out, that your argument falls apart when you exclude his numbers with Panarin and Strome supports my argument a lot more than yours.

As I have also already pointed out, Blackwell's pace last season was only marginally better than Leo's. The difference in pace between the two comes out to about 6 points when projected over 82 games. Are you really going to try to claim that 6 points over 82 games is a meaningful difference in offensive production for two guys who were on pace for about 25-30 points? Blackwell was so in demand before playing with Panarin/Strome, he wasn't even able to get a 1way contract as a UFA last offseason.

Last edited:
Reactions: buud

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
the fact that Leo is overpaid, does not mean that he can't play a role. he can play heavy game, and is decent defensively.

i would like to see him take over the 4th line C, and let Casey get some time on the 3rd line.
let Leo and Olly alternate.

Nelson-Barzal-Eberle
Bailey-Zajac-Palmieri
Beau-Czikas-Pageau
MM-LK-CC

or

Nelson-Barzal-Eberle
Bailey-Zajac-Palmieri
Beau-Pageau-Wally
MM-CC-CC

i doubt that Trotz makes such drastic changes, but i would love to see this

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Did some detective work on Natural stat trick. The numbers may surprise some here.

Komarov is having a pretty good season on, on ice effects as it pertains to GF60 and GA60.

No surprise here, Komarov is the Isles best GA60 player with atleast 100mins player 5v5.
The surprise here is Komarov is 8th in GF60 on the team.

Something positive happens when Uncle Leo is on the ice. Based on over 323 mins of 5v5 ice time. Those are the facts, whether his own offensive stats are pedestrian or not. His on ice play positively affects the team. Maybe not so much on his own raw points totals. Maybe it's time to view Leo in a different light. As I said, intangibles are hard to measure on an Excel spreadsheet.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
The documentary on him is pretty cool actually.

He was born to ethnic Russian parents and then moved to the Swedish speaking part of Finland as a kid. I think he says that Swedish is actually his first language, then Finnish and Russian. Really cool!

Reactions: frankieboy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->