Player Discussion: Leo Komarov

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Back in the day, Rick DiPietro was asked to be on The Bachelor. That would have been interesting.
Rick was and is still dreamy, save for the jackets he wears when he does any commentating. I could see him being quite the douche on that show (I mean, how could you not?). The few episodes I've been made to watch made we want to cut myself.

I couldn't find it before but there's a clip of Barzal chirping at a ref that players shouldn't hit him in his face because it's a "GQ face". Thought that was pretty funny.

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
To provide some context to the discussion about Leo The First Liner.

Our 1st line in 10 games prior to Lee's injury:

Feb 20 - Mar 09

LeeBarzalEberle
EV TOI/GP15:3417:0815:05
EV GF:GA12:612:512:5
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Our 1st line in 10 games with Leo:

Mar 20 - Apr 09

LeoBarzalEberle
EV TOI/GP11:4015:3813:56
EV GF:GA10:313:911:6
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
A full 1.5 min less even strength time for Barzal (1:09 min for Eberle), but the scoring doesn't miss a bit.

Meanwhile, all 3 goals against by Leo were surrendered in the last 4 games:

• Giroux tying goal in the first 3:2 SO win, with Komarov on 4th line sparing Martin after PP,
• A fluke Aube-Kubel goal in the second 3:2 SO win,
• Laf goal yesterday.

So, one can argue that Laf goal was the first "real goal" scored upon Komarov-Barzal-Eberle line in 10 games.

In those 10 games, Leo leads all forwards in even strength goal differential per 60 min and leads by far:

Komarov3.18
Eberle1.85
Beauvillier1.82
Bailey1.34
Barzal1.34
Nelson0.34
Cizikas0
Dal Colle0
Martin0
Pageau0
Wahlstrom-0.59
Clutterbuck-1.28
Zajac-2.15
Johnston-2.61
Bellows-2.71
Palmieri-4.13
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
To conclude:

I (as most of us, fans) was furious once the lineup against Phillies was announced. However, after some thought and stats browsing, I believe now I can understand Barry's logic: Leo provided stability to the 1st line in the wake of Lee's injury. For a team that heavily relies on "system", it's huge. Leo despite his limited abilities allowed Barzal and Ebs to continue as almost nothing happened. Last year we had that type of smooth transition with Greene in for Boychuk, but had no answer when Pelech and then Cizikas went down and almost missed playoffs.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell

Feb 20 - Mar 09

LeeBarzalEberle
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Mar 20 - Apr 09

LeoBarzalEberle
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
A full 1.5 min less even strength time for Barzal (1:09 min for Eberle), but the scoring doesn't miss a bit.

• Giroux tying goal in the first 3:2 SO win, with Komarov on 4th line sparing Martin after PP,
• Laf goal yesterday.

So, one can argue that Laf goal was the first "real goal" scored upon Komarov-Barzal-Eberle line in 10 games.

In those 10 games, Leo leads all forwards in even strength goal differential per 60 min and leads by far:

Komarov3.18
Eberle1.85
Beauvillier1.82
Bailey1.34
Barzal1.34
Nelson0.34
Cizikas0
Dal Colle0
Martin0
Pageau0
Wahlstrom-0.59
Clutterbuck-1.28
Zajac-2.15
Johnston-2.61
Bellows-2.71
Palmieri-4.13
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
To conclude:

I (as most of us, fans) was furious once the lineup against Phillies was announced. However, after some thought and stats browsing, I believe now I can understand Barry's logic: Leo provided stability to the 1st line in the wake of Lee's injury. For a team that heavily relies on "system", it's huge. Leo despite his limited abilities allowed Barzal and Ebs to continue as almost nothing happened. Last year we had that type of smooth transition with Greene in for Boychuk, but had no answer when Pelech and then Cizikas went down and almost missed playoffs.

You should post this on Reddit because the people there are having a conniption.

Reactions: danteipp

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
He has been good there. It's weird when people blame the wingers for when Barzal isn't doing well when it is his doing. Even Lee was getting shit last year. Barzy is gonna Barzy. He slips into being a non shooting perimeter player every now and then. Bellows/Lee/Leo etc aint gonna help or make it worse. That's him.

Reactions: MJF

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I really think Leo gets too much hate. Was funny watching Panarin put up points with Blackwell and Strome and hearing complaints on Barzal having to deal with Leo on his line.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site

Feb 20 - Mar 09

LeeBarzalEberle
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Mar 20 - Apr 09

LeoBarzalEberle
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

• Laf goal yesterday.

Komarov3.18
Eberle1.85
Beauvillier1.82
Bailey1.34
Barzal1.34
Nelson0.34
Cizikas0
Dal Colle0
Martin0
Pageau0
Wahlstrom-0.59
Clutterbuck-1.28
Zajac-2.15
Johnston-2.61
Bellows-2.71
Palmieri-4.13
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
To conclude:

Nice work on this. Barzal with 9 goals against and Leo with only 3 is pretty eye opening. Out of curiosity, I also checked Barzal's with/without stats for the season and at 5 on 5 with Komarov, Barzal's GF% is a staggering 81.82%, as opposed to 51.72% without Komarov, and 67.65 % with Lee. Granted, that is skewed by the 5 point game, but even his xGF% is higher at 62.31% with Komarov vs. 57.68% without Komarov, and 59.63% with Lee. Also, his goals against per 60 drops from 1.89 with Lee to 1.12 with Komarov.

Last edited:

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
You should post this on Reddit because the people there are having a conniption.

Hit up Isles Twitter too, because people are losing their minds, lol.

Although I am having some fun harassing ignorant Rags fans, who can't comprehend that they aren't getting an Eichel or Barkov for garbage trade packages build around Kraptsov, Lindgren, Georgiev and a bunch of other broken toys.

Unless they are willing to move Laf as a prime chip, or build a package around say Kaako (who also has a ton of questions) and at least one of Miller or Lundqvist (and they really can't afford to move either), Los Angeles can blow them out of the water with their stable of prospects.

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
Good point on Komarov's work on the 1st line. With the work he has done so far, I can understand that he doesn't deserve to lose his place in the line-up. But I still wonder if a player like Pageau could not do a similar job within this trio while creating more offense. I imagine that could happen if the Komarov-Barzal-Eberle trio ever end up having a bad time.

This line-up would be our best I think (come to think of it, Andrew Gross was perhaps not wrong with this formation quite close to his!)

Pageau-Barzal-Eberle
Beauvillier-Nelson-Wahlstrom
Bailey-Zajac-Palmieri

The middle six should be seen as 2a and 2b.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
He has been good there. It's weird when people blame the wingers for when Barzal isn't doing well when it is his doing. Even Lee was getting shit last year. Barzy is gonna Barzy. He slips into being a non shooting perimeter player every now and then. Bellows/Lee/Leo etc aint gonna help or make it worse. That's him.
:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Can we sticky this at the top of the Mat Barzal thread.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
I really think Leo gets too much hate. Was funny watching Panarin put up points with Blackwell and Strome and hearing complaints on Barzal having to deal with Leo on his line.
You comparing Blackwell and Strome to Leo ? Lol You realize Strome is 10x the producer Leo is and Blackwell is bottom 6 forward at worst. Leo is a 4th liner at best. Only reason he isn’t there is because we have Martin Zeeker and clutter

I’m not saying Leo hasn’t been okay there, but if you are comparing the 3... there is no comparison. Panarin is also much better than Barzal lol Let’s not forget that part

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
You comparing Blackwell and Strome to Leo ? Lol You realize Strome is 10x the producer Leo is and Blackwell is bottom 6 forward at worst. Leo is a 4th liner at best. Only reason he isn’t there is because we have Martin Zeeker and clutter

I’m not saying Leo hasn’t been okay there, but if you are comparing the 3... there is no comparison. Panarin is also much better than Barzal lol Let’s not forget that part
Blackwell is a 28 year old who prior to this season had never scored more than 3 goals in a season, and never even scored 20 goals in the AHL. Comparing Leo and Eberle to Strome and Blackwell is a pretty fair comparison.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
Blackwell is a 28 year old who prior to this season had never scored more than 3 goals in a season, and never even scored 20 goals in the AHL. Comparing Leo and Eberle to Strome and Blackwell is a pretty fair comparison.
No way lol I hate to even admit it but Strome is far better then Eberle at this point and Blackwell is better then Leo. Blackwell may not have a long track record but he has skill and appears to have figured it out as a late bloomer. He was near a p/pg last year in the AHL and in his last 58 NHL games between this year and last year, he has 27 points. Leo hasn’t been even half as productive as that since he was on the leafs in 2015 lol

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
No way lol I hate to even admit it but Strome is far better then Eberle at this point and Blackwell is better then Leo. Blackwell may not have a long track record but he has skill and appears to have figured it out as a late bloomer. He was near a p/pg last year in the AHL and in his last 58 NHL games between this year and last year, he has 27 points. Leo hasn’t been even half as productive as that since he was on the leafs in 2015 lol

who would you rather have in a tight playoff series?

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Of course Leo hasn't been that productive, he has been in the NHL, not the AHL. But that you suddenly changed your opinions on the offensive talent of these two guys once they started playing with Panarin, kind of proves the point about Panarin.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
i thought Leo played all right on the 1st line. i remember hearing that he was versatile, and he has been for us. i'm glad that we have him for the run. he is a warrior.
I just posted this in the trade thread. Be careful of dismissing character players like Leo. He changes the personality of the Isles for the positive. He has been very much part of the character culture change on the Isles. I would be very leary of changing this at this point of the Isles most successful season under Lou and Barry now. Isles are not about sexy EA sports GM'ing. They are about real true character that wins games. This is why The Leo's, Martin's, Clutterbuck's, Cizikas', Pelech's, Mayfield's, Lee's, Pageau's all fit in. Not the flashiest group, but they sure know how to spell W.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
Of course Leo hasn't been that productive, he has been in the NHL, not the AHL. But that you suddenly changed your opinions on the offensive talent of these two guys once they started playing with Panarin, kind of proves the point about Panarin.
I have no idea how that is all you got from what I said lol The stats I quoted were the most important part.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I have no idea how that is all you got from what I said lol The stats I quoted were the most important part.
All of the stats you quoted were either from the AHL or were primarily from playing with Panarin. Looking at just their NHL numbers last season, Blackwell's point production was pretty comparable to Leo's -- Blackwell played at a 30 point pace vs Leo's 24 point pace, when projected to 82 games for both. So unless you were calling 6 points over 82 games a notable difference in production, it seems like you were focusing on AHL production to try to claim he was notably more productive prior to playing with Panarin and Strome.

Last edited:

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
@Seph I forgot to quote lol Blackwell was also near a p/pg in the A. You put Komarov down there and I doubt he is even close to .5 p/pg. blackwell has been figuring it out since last year, while Komarov is getting worse. They aren’t close at this point. Blackwell is superior to Komarov at this point. Hence why one is in the lineup and one isn’t. They tried Leo with Barzy and it didn’t work. Blackwell on the other hand is thriving.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad