Player Discussion: Leo Komarov

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
He's been very good. I given the guy a lot of crap over the years but I'm truly happy to see him playing so well.

He belongs on the stating roster.

Reactions: Tres Peleches

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Boy, I'll hand it to Rupp and Danyko, did these guys nail it when Lou signed Leo that summer the Isles changed the culture of the franchise. This is worth a watch.

How prophetic were Rupp and Daneyko. That first season we cut down 100 goals against!

A few things about this clip.

In a game in Washington in March 2018 we lost to the 2 straight to the Caps 7-3 and 6-3. After the second loss I think it was either Burakovski or Kuznetsov who said that we gave the Capitals too much room to skate and didn't challenge them at all. That's pretty embarrassing to hear.

That summer when we hired Barry Trotz one of the first things he said was the Islanders were easy to play against. That was the last time anybody ever said that about us.

If you've ever worked in a team setting in your office, you know that there can be a person who can get you motivated to finish a project and do it well. Maybe the contribution is nothing more than keeping things loose and helping get the creativity out onto the table. Those people have a value to an organization that cannot be quantified. I have a feeling that's what Uncle Leo brings to the Isles dressing room. Some people have upbeat personalities that are infectious and you want to fight a little bit harder for and with that guy on your team. Especially when he does a lot of the unheralded grunt work.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
There's a "who will score the Stanley Cup winning goal" thread on the main boards.

Out of about 100 posts, there are five listing Komarov!

Probably mostly to annoy Bruins fans, but way to go Leo!

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I get a chuckle how Leo has turned his year around from potential expansion draft cast off, to how important his role has become on the Isles since Lee went down. These are the type of players and feel good stories that make me a sportsfan.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I get a chuckle how Leo has turned his year around from potential expansion draft cast off, to how important his role has become on the Isles since Lee went down. These are the type of players and feel good stories that make me a sportsfan.

That was fan made up narrative.

Jack Johnson

Jan 27, 2018
Why Not Expose Him & Andrew Ladd To The Expansion Draft,After The Conclusion Of The Stanley Cup?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I am a Leo convert so I’ll eat some crow here but.....pump the brakes on saying he should be on the expansion draft protection list.

That’s some crazy shit.
Leo will be exposed as he should be for a player in his position, he is and was also a key player to the culture change of the Isles 3 summers ago. I don't know if he gets claimed or not. Just going to enjoy the ride, he has played well for us, and he really does the stuff that Trotz said that doesn't show up in fantasy stats. PK was perfect today, check, he finished his checks, check. He makes the Barzal and Eberle line a lot more less heart pounding on defence, check. He is not a first line winger, but I am sure glad we got him this playoffs. If the Isles make it to round 2. He is going to be valuable again against Marchand and Ovie, players he has had run ins before and that I dare say do not enjoy playing against Leo. Just keep the W's coming.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
Leo will be exposed as he should be for a player in his position, he is and was also a key player to the culture change of the Isles 3 summers ago. I don't know if he gets claimed or not. Just going to enjoy the ride, he has played well for us, and he really does the stuff that Trotz said that doesn't show up in fantasy stats. PK was perfect today, check, he finished his checks, check. He makes the Barzal and Eberle line a lot more less heart pounding on defence, check. He is not a first line winger, but I am sure glad we got him this playoffs. If the Isles make it to round 2. He is going to be valuable again against Marchand and Ovie, players he has had run ins before and that I dare say do not enjoy playing against Leo. Just keep the W's coming.
I agree with all of this. Esp. the 2nd round Marchand part ;)

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
There are absolutely more valuable players, who should be protected over Leo.

I think there isn't a huge chance of him bring taken, and I suspect, if it happens, it will be a late pick, quite possibly to help hit cap requirements.

Hey, if they take him instead of someone more valuable to us, does that mean that Lou was right with the four years?:sarcasm:

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Loved that play in the second period on the PK against Matheson. Where Komarov recognized he wouldn’t win the race to the puck in the corner… so he let Matheson get it, then used his leverage to take him off the puck to generate a scoring chance for Pageau.

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
Never have had a problem having Komarov on the team, just always hated his contract. Him and Clutterbuck both.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad