Rumor: Lecavalier and 3rd overall 2013 pick to T.O.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEAFSIN4

Jan 14, 2013
What a terrible analogy. Use your head.

Sure, they would let you spend $30M extra if it means adding 3-4 already established quality players.

Spending $30M for a prospect, not even the best one in the world, is ridiculous business. It doesn't make any financial sense no matter how rich an NHL club is.

I am of this thinking also, but I'll just play devil's advocate.

The $30 million will be spread across 14 or 16 years, can't remember exactly how long... That's roughly around $2 mil a season.

Now let's say that Drouin or Barkov come as advertised and are legit franchise players. For the first 4-6 years of their careers they will be significantly underpaid on ELC contracts. We would save money by having a first line player on an ELC instead of paying an established player 5-8 million.

Of course this depends on the prospects panning out.

bonjovi0308

Jan 26, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
$30 Million (assume buyout of vinny) for a 3rd pick alone seems stiff, let alone we need to throw in several players and picks...

So my guess is if vinny comes here, he stays

TMLFAN4LIFE

Dec 11, 2006
Spending $30M for a prospect, not even the best one in the world, is ridiculous business. It doesn't make any financial sense no matter how rich an NHL club is.

I dunno man... Drouin IS really, really good... could be worth it. I'd be so happy if this went down.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
$30 Million (assume buyout of vinny) for a 3rd pick alone seems stiff, let alone we need to throw in several players and picks...

So my guess is if vinny comes here, he stays

He'd have to play 1 season, so 8 mil of his salary goes to a serviceable centermen. The buy-out is an investment spread out over 10 years or whatever.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
I am of this thinking also, but I'll just play devil's advocate.

The $30 million will be spread across 14 or 16 years, can't remember exactly how long... That's roughly around $2 mil a season.

Now let's say that Drouin or Barkov come as advertised and are legit franchise players. For the first 4-6 years of their careers they will be significantly underpaid on ELC contracts. We would save money by having a first line player on an ELC instead of paying an established player 5-8 million.

Of course this depends on the prospects panning out.

This is why it's an investment, albeit a risky one. If we draft a franchise player, this team pays off the 2 mil a season from competitive playoff runs every single season. If we draft a bust, we wasted money :D

Khobahi

Feb 13, 2013
Canada
He'd have to play 1 season, so 8 mil of his salary goes to a serviceable centermen. The buy-out is an investment spread out over 10 years or whatever.

Nothing in the CBA actually says that a player has to play a year (or be on the team at the previous trade deadline) in order to use the 2 compliance buyouts given by the league. I doubt anyone would say anything publicly if it wasn't an option to actually work.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
And you can't buyout an injured player so if he is injured and you play him that year, oh well?

KlattNazty

Feb 3, 2011
Couple of thoughts....

Have to figure if the incentive for Tampa is not simply just to shed Vinnys contract, but also to restructure, then we would buy him out for them to renegotiate with him.

Second thought, is that 30 million is a crap ton for one player, but lets be serious. If they think drafting Barkov/Drouin/Nichuskin is a guy they can advertise and pair with Rielly, Kadri, Gardiner to be the new "blood" and kids to the team lead by vets in Dion and Kessel, then I wouldnt be shocked if they also came to the conclusion they could make that 30 mill back over time simply from playing on us via the media. We are talking about Rogers and Bell here. Same kinda think with Brett Lawrie. He is so damn hyped up, and all you seem is jerseys and Lawrie this and that everywhere.

My other thought however, is that they are taking Vinny and not buying him out. If that might be the case, then what they would probably do IMO is give them a competent centre in return in Grabovski. Less money for Tampa, and gives them someone to fill the hole. And this way Toronto gets bigger.

I am not sure any of it really makes sense overall, but I think it would be better for us actually to keep Lecavelier.

My thoughts would be something like:

To Tampa:

Grabovski
Frattin
+? (something not overly substantial)

To Toronto:

Lecavelier
3rd

Lupul - Kadri - Kessel
JVR - Lecavelier - Clarkson
Kulemin - Colborne - xxx?
Facepuncher 1 - McClement - Facepuncher 2

OVERALL, DONT SEE HOW IT MAKES THAT MUCH SENSE FOR TB.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Nothing in the CBA actually says that a player has to play a year (or be on the team at the previous trade deadline) in order to use the 2 compliance buyouts given by the league. I doubt anyone would say anything publicly if it wasn't an option to actually work.

Well then the trade makes more sense if Tampa would be able to re-sign him in the same off season. Tampa has 2.4 mil cap space to sign 2 RFAs and 2 potential UFAs, no room at all to improve the team in anyway.

However, another reason it wouldn't make much sense is were going to be in the same division as them via realignment. Would they really want to directly supply us with a franchise player?

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Couple of thoughts....

Have to figure if the incentive for Tampa is not simply just to shed Vinnys contract, but also to restructure, then we would buy him out for them to renegotiate with him.

Second thought, is that 30 million is a crap ton for one player, but lets be serious. If they think drafting Barkov/Drouin/Nichuskin is a guy they can advertise and pair with Rielly, Kadri, Gardiner to be the new "blood" and kids to the team lead by vets in Dion and Kessel, then I wouldnt be shocked if they also came to the conclusion they could make that 30 mill back over time simply from playing on us via the media. We are talking about Rogers and Bell here. Same kinda think with Brett Lawrie. He is so damn hyped up, and all you seem is jerseys and Lawrie this and that everywhere.

My other thought however, is that they are taking Vinny and not buying him out. If that might be the case, then what they would probably do IMO is give them a competent centre in return in Grabovski. Less money for Tampa, and gives them someone to fill the hole. And this way Toronto gets bigger.

I am not sure any of it really makes sense overall, but I think it would be better for us actually to keep Lecavelier.

My thoughts would be something like:

To Tampa:

Grabovski
Frattin
+? (something not overly substantial)

To Toronto:

Lecavelier
3rd

Lupul - Kadri - Kessel
JVR - Lecavelier - Clarkson
Kulemin - Colborne - xxx?
Facepuncher 1 - McClement - Facepuncher 2

OVERALL, DONT SEE HOW IT MAKES THAT MUCH SENSE FOR TB.

It only makes sense if you look at his contract lol. A 7 million dollar, 7 year cap hit that will now count towards the cap even if he retires. Tampa does not have the money to buy him out and re-sign him, so they'd be paying us with a player to do it.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
It would be interesting if it was just taking Vinny's contract all together. They don't exactly need him for the future and losing a contract of that size would certainly be worth the 3rd overall pick.

Keeping Vinny for a year or two could provide huge positives for this team. Battle tested playoff center with size to play with Kessel would be huge for one. But it would also help to protect Kadri in the two-spot and help him build his game without the pressure of needing to live up to the first line center spot.

Then you can have Barkov (assuming it's him) spend another year in the SM-Liiga or having him play in teh AHL for a year, then have him spend a year int he third line center spot, and then finally buy-out Vinny two year's down the road when Barkov/Kadri are really ready to take hold of the 1a/1b center spots.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I'm not buying this one.

$30 M bucks and we have to throw in players? St Louis getting older and no real replacement? I don't see it.

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
Well then the trade makes more sense if Tampa would be able to re-sign him in the same off season. Tampa has 2.4 mil cap space to sign 2 RFAs and 2 potential UFAs, no room at all to improve the team in anyway.

However, another reason it wouldn't make much sense is were going to be in the same division as them via realignment. Would they really want to directly supply us with a franchise player?

There is allegedly a strong suggestion around the Tampa camp that at this point a Vinny move isn't necessary since;

1) Ohlund may potentially be a LTIR candidate

2) Malone would be the one to be moved to another team with an asset in order to get some breathing room. More likely a prospect or an early pick other than their 1st. (33rd Most likely Scenario)

There's chatter around the league because cash strapped teams are starting to look into such scenario's and everyone is doing their homework on the new CBA to ensure there are no legal issues with said moves.

Last edited:

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
There is allegedly a strong suggestion around the Tampa camp that at this point a Vinny move isn't necessary since;

2) Malone would be the one to be moved to another team with an asset in order to get some breathing room. More likely a prospect or an early pick other than their 1st.

There's chatter around the league because cash strapped teams are starting to look into such scenario's and everyone is doing their homework on the new CBA to ensure there are no legal issues with said moves.

I agree, this seems to make the most sense and this Lecavalier deal, is just a rumour, one that has too many unknown's, for my taste.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
I agree, this seems to make the most sense and this Lecavalier deal, is just a rumour, one that has too many unknown's, for my taste.

Well, the rumor was just of the leafs making an offer. Tampa could have rejected it the second they saw it.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Well, the rumor was just of the leafs making an offer. Tampa could have rejected it the second they saw it.

That's true but it also says we would buy him out so he could be back with TB for a reduced rate, how can they offer this?

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Mike...ill-Kessel-Vinny-Rumor/120/52099#.UbtIlpwvw9x

The deal would have Toronto moving “two mid level roster players and a package of draft picks for Tampa Bay’s 3rd selection overall and Vincent LeCavalier, who would then be bought out.†That would presumably allow LeCavalier to return to the Lightning for a lesser amount than his current $7.7 Million salary.

PugFugly

Sep 30, 2008

2) Malone would be the one to be moved to another team with an asset in order to get some breathing room. More likely a prospect or an early pick other than their 1st. (33rd Most likely Scenario)

From my understanding, can't LTIR cap space only be used during the season? If so, they would still have issues improving their team since they wouldn't be able to make much noise in the UFA market (assuming I'm correct).

Dealing Malone makes sense short term, but Lecavalier will need to be amnestied at some point in the next 2 seasons -- There's no chance Tampa wants a $7.7 cap hit on their books until 2020 and they only have this off season and next to get rid of him.

I'm not saying he'll be dealt for the package that is being discussed, but I think it's a matter of "when" and not "if" Lecavalier gets a Compliance Buyout.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Say we have #3 and we want MacKinnon what would it take for us to move up to #2?

Probably wouldn't be worth it after already trading for #3, but Burke traded the 4th overall pick to Tampa for the 1st for the 4th overall and 2 third rounders I think. (to draft the sedins)

GrindNMuck

Jun 11, 2013
Tampa.
(Trade.)

Lecavalier

Mark Barberio (Prospect)

6th round pick (13-14)

EDM.

Hemskey
--
Horcoff
--
Fistric
--
5th round pick (14)

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I don't buy this for the 3rd overall, but tbh.... I can see a deal between Toronto and TB to take Lecavalier plus assets for an amnesty buyout... I don't think a team can compete with a 40-50pt 7+m Center on their roster... It would be in their best interest to trade away Lecavalier to some team that would buy him out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad