Rumor: Lecavalier and 3rd overall 2013 pick to T.O.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Why don't we just take Lecavalier and the 3rd overall and not buy him out?

Also why does everyone seem to prefer Barkov over Drouin if we get the 3rd overall? If it's because he's a left winger we can easily just switch him back to centre, which is what he played before he got switched to LW.

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If the ability to secure the 3rd overall pick is there you have a shot at a franchise player this organization sorely lacks. From the 3rd overall you could swap up 1 one and grab the player you want.

Money is no object to MLSE if it was presented by Lewieke saying it will help us become yearly playoff participants.

The likelihood of MLSE willing to toss away $30 mil on what effectively would be the equivalent of a lottery ticket (draft pick), without any guarantees of success is about near 0%. IMO

Money may be no object, but these are good businessmen also here, and they didn't become rich by being foolish.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
if this rumor is true... i really hope we get to keep both gardiner and frattin

The thing to remember is, that it is only a rumour and pretty sketchy on the details, so I wouldn't put too much stock in it and We have only heard it from one source.

It does make sense though because TB have to shed cap and they have said, they would trade their pick in the draft and adding fuel to the fire, Claude Loiselle has said the Leafs will pursue this kind of deal.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Didnt read through the whole thread but is it possible we buy him out and Vinny turns around and signs back with Tampa? Technically Tampa wasn't the ones who bought him out.

ThirdRowGreens

Nov 18, 2011
Ottawa
The likelihood of MLSE willing to toss away $30 mil on what effectively would be the equivalent of a lottery ticket (draft pick), without any guarantees of success is about near 0%. IMO

Money may be no object, but these are good businessmen also here, and they didn't become rich by being foolish.

They also didn't become rich by standing pat and not taking any risks. Nothing is a sure thing, especially where draft picks are concerned, but a third overall in this year's draft is pretty much as close as you can possibly get. That's the highest pick we would have had in living memory.

They would be fools not to do this IMO, but I can't see Tampa doing it.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Somehow paying like 30mil for a top 5 pick in Toronto makes sense just not anywhere else in the world. We are not getting a top 5 pick for buying a crap contract period. That's Grabos entire term for a freaking chance at something great.

Most terrible gamblers in the world right here. We would take Briere though, that makes sense and we retain all picks, free agents sure bet. This other talk is dreams of kids who do not understand 30 million dollars or whatever

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Somehow paying like 30mil for a top 5 pick in Toronto makes sense just not anywhere else in the world. We are not getting a top 5 pick for buying a crap contract period. That's Grabos entire term for a freaking chance at something great.

Most terrible gamblers in the world right here. We would take Briere though, that makes sense and we retain all picks, free agents sure bet. This other talk is dreams of kids who do not understand 30 million dollars or whatever

So, is it your opinion that if the NHL suddenly raised the salary cap to $94M that MLSE would not allow the Leafs to spend to it?

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012

I dunno... I'd say that the chances are a lot higher then you think. The way this team is built missing that true franchise player, the only option is to "buy" the team. I think even from a business point of view, the revenue from having an elite competitive team with constant deep playoff runs would be greater then the $$$ given up from the 1 year of service from Vinny (a top line center), and the 20 mil or so after. This is exactly what this team needs to do in it's position.

This could be wrong, but I read somewhere that each leafs home game generates about 3 mil in revenue. Forbes lists gate receipts at 88 mil not including concessions, so assume it's between 2-3 mil. Without player contracts to pay in the playoffs, 80-90% of this is probably profit (again I'm just guessing). Even if the revenue is less, and the profit margins are less, every additional home playoff game could potentially pay off 10% of this investment. Most of the negativity in this thread seems to be focused on the fact that they think the team would be throwing away 20 million dollars, when it should really be seen as an investment. In a market like this, icing an elite team is well worth the 20 mil investment from the buyout.

Last edited:

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Didnt read through the whole thread but is it possible we buy him out and Vinny turns around and signs back with Tampa? Technically Tampa wasn't the ones who bought him out.

I can't see us buying him out and carring his cap hit for 14 years, check out years 2018-19 and 2019-20

http://capgeek.com/buyout-calculator/?player_id=884

Vincent Lecavalier buyout from CapGeek.com

2013-14: -$129,870
2014-15: -$129,870
2015-16: -$129,870
2016-17: $1,370,130
2017-18: $5,870,130
2018-19: $8,370,130
2019-20: $8,870,130

2020-21: $2,142,857
2021-22: $2,142,857
2022-23: $2,142,857
2023-24: $2,142,857
2024-25: $2,142,857
2025-26: $2,142,857
2026-27: $2,142,857

If this rumour is true, that doesn't make sense, I think it is a straight hockey deal and Lecavalier would be our first line center and the 3 overall pick is our incentive to bail them out of a cap problem.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
So, is it your opinion that if the NHL suddenly raised the salary cap to $94M that MLSE would not allow the Leafs to spend to it?

What a terrible analogy. Use your head.

Sure, they would let you spend $30M extra if it means adding 3-4 already established quality players.

Spending $30M for a prospect, not even the best one in the world, is ridiculous business. It doesn't make any financial sense no matter how rich an NHL club is.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I can't see us buying him out and carring his cap hit for 14 years, check out years 2018-19 and 2019-20

If this rumour is true, that doesn't make sense, I think it is a straight hockey deal and Lecavalier would be our first line center and the 3 overall pick is our incentive to bail them out of a cap problem.

That makes more sense even if in many ways it doesn't.

PugFugly

Sep 30, 2008

Compliance Buyout -- We'd pay the same amount as a regular buyout, but it wouldn't count against the cap. We have 2 to use and only 1 player on our roster as an obvious candidate (Komisarek).

http://www.capgeek.com/new-cba/

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON

The idea is that the Leafs would use one of their two compliance buyouts to buy him out. Those buyouts carry no cap hit.

edwardslane

Aug 6, 2010
If the leafs acquired #3 overall from the Lightning in that proposed deal for Drouin.. what would it take to get #2 overall pick as well draft Mackinnon with Florida's #2?

Doubt leafs can pull of the ol Brian burke pick #2 and #3.. Not in this draft

Morgan Reilly + Kadri for florida's #2 overall? that would give Florida something real to think about.. STEEEP

But imagine having Drouin and Mackinnon as our 1-2 punch for the next 15 years..

beer123

Nov 15, 2009
What a terrible analogy. Use your head.

Sure, they would let you spend $30M extra if it means adding 3-4 already established quality players.

Spending $30M for a prospect, not even the best one in the world, is ridiculous business. It doesn't make any financial sense no matter how rich an NHL club is.

Texas Rangers paid more than 50 Million just to have the rights to negotiate with Yu Darvish 2 years ago :laugh: Just saying!

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
We helped em out with Kolzig. We will help em out with the Vinny contract, but they better sweeten that. 3rd overall seems like a heck of a lot; would be a pipe dream.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Compliance Buyout -- We'd pay the same amount as a regular buyout, but it wouldn't count against the cap. We have 2 to use and only 1 player on our roster as an obvious candidate (Komisarek).

http://www.capgeek.com/new-cba/

Your right I wasn't aware of that, still 30 million is a lot of money and for Lecavalier to return to TB and would require another team to sign him, then have TB trade to get him back.

BUYOUTS

During the ordinary course buyout periods in June 2013 and June 2014, teams will be permitted two compliance buyouts. Compliance buyouts follow the same formula as ordinary-course buyouts — either 1/3 or 2/3 of actual salary depending on age — but do not count against the cap.

So we would just be paying the amount of the Buyout.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Actually, after double-checking the CBA, one thing should be clarified. Buyouts are not paid in a lump sum. They are paid out over the remainder of the contract. So, we are not talking about MLSE making a lump sum payment of $30M, but rather paying an additional ~$2.1M a year in payroll over the next 14 years.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
I actually think we should keep Vinny a year since we're nowheres near the cap. Lets just stick him with Kessel and Lupul.

Personally not sure I believe they'd give us the third overall but you never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad