Rumor: Lecavalier and 3rd overall 2013 pick to T.O.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I don't buy this for the 3rd overall, but tbh.... I can see a deal between Toronto and TB to take Lecavalier plus assets for an amnesty buyout... I don't think a team can compete with a 40-50pt 7+m Center on their roster... It would be in their best interest to trade away Lecavalier to some team that would buy him out.

Agree. If a trade between TB and TO for Lecavelier buyout it wouldnt involve 3. Thats way too much to give up. TB can buyout Vinny. The owner is loaded. Not like TO owners but hes got the money to if he wanted. We would give up assets but not 3 nor Stamkos lol.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Agree. If a trade between TB and TO for Lecavelier buyout it wouldnt involve 3. Thats way too much to give up. TB can buyout Vinny. The owner is loaded. Not like TO owners but hes got the money to if he wanted. We would give up assets but not 3 nor Stamkos lol.

Anyone who's actually rich doesn't get/stay that way by wasting money. 45 million dollars is still 45 million dollars. Any successful person would see the value of being able to give away assets one time to rid yourself of 45 million and 7 YEARS worth of liabilities. Maybe The leafs could give this years 21st and next years, allowing Tampa to shed liabilities but also continue to restructure and build in the process. Again, Burke traded a first from the 2000 draft and Mcabe for the 4th overall in the 99 draft.I think Vinny's deal off the books(45 million), a first AND roster players/prospects not worth the 3rd overall? Tampa isn't even bring in a profit right now, they need to make some sort of move.

Last edited:

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Why don't we just take Lecavalier and the 3rd overall and not buy him out?

Also why does everyone seem to prefer Barkov over Drouin if we get the 3rd overall? If it's because he's a left winger we can easily just switch him back to centre, which is what he played before he got switched to LW.

He never really "switched" to LW. He never played C in the CHL and if he switched he'd have the passing/creativity of a C but his defensive game would need to improve greatly. Still though, huge upside offensively

Last edited:

JoeyBeans

Jan 5, 2013
Halifax
He never really "switched" to LW. He never played C in the CHL and if he switched he'd have the passing/creativity of a C but his defensive game would need to improve greatly. Still though, huge upside offensively

And mapes Im sure you know Drouin feeds off being under estimated.
first they said he was too small.
then they said hes to young for WJC.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012

He is small, hes 5' 11 but that doesn't mean they said he's not skilled.

Larry Hoover

Sep 16, 2012
I proposed this on the main boards, what are your thoughts?

To TBL: Morgan Rielly + Mikhail Grabovski + 51st overall (TOR 2nd round pick 2013)

To TOR: 3rd overall pick (TBL 1st round pick 2013) + Vincent Lecavalier + 33rd overall (TBL 2nd round pick 2013)

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON

To TBL: Morgan Rielly + Mikhail Grabovski + 51st overall (TOR 2nd round pick 2013)

To TOR: 3rd overall pick (TBL 1st round pick 2013) + Vincent Lecavalier + 33rd overall (TBL 2nd round pick 2013)

make it matt finn and our first in 2013 instead of our second and i'd be happy. and remove tampa's second rounder as well.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Morgan Reilly for all the praise he gets. I think he is a touch over-rated. Especially in the physical department. He is a smaller defenseman. Im not blind I see the way he skates. In the AHL he looks over-matched.

The 3rd overall pick that the Lighting holds is GOLD. Jones, Drouin and Mackinnon are franchise guys. Drouin is a match made in heaven for Stamkos if he falls to #3. Mackinnon can be a captain and build your franchise around for 12 years. Jones is franchise type defenseman.

Is the Vinny cap relief and Reilly worth it, for that #3 pick? I say no. If Im Tampa I trade Vinny and eat some of his salary. Leafs did it with Lombardi. They ate almost half of it. That will rid Tampa of Vinny's contract if they want too. GEtting into that Top 3, I imagine to be impossible. The price would be a huge over payment to lure that potential player away.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Morgan Reilly for all the praise he gets. I think he is a touch over-rated. Especially in the physical department. He is a smaller defenseman. Im not blind I see the way he skates. In the AHL he looks over-matched.

The 3rd overall pick that the Lighting holds is GOLD. Jones, Drouin and Mackinnon are franchise guys. Drouin is a match made in heaven for Stamkos if he falls to #3. Mackinnon can be a captain and build your franchise around for 12 years. Jones is franchise type defenseman.

Is the Vinny cap relief and Reilly worth it, for that #3 pick? I say no. If Im Tampa I trade Vinny and eat some of his salary. Leafs did it with Lombardi. They ate almost half of it. That will rid Tampa of Vinny's contract if they want too. GEtting into that Top 3, I imagine to be impossible. The price would be a huge over payment to lure that potential player away.

uh, what? There's a slight difference between eating half of a 1 year ~4m contract and a 7 year 7+m contract.

Grapes03

Feb 27, 2012
The entire point of this trade rumor is the Bolts need to dump salary immediately. We wouldn't be sending them back anything like a Grabovski contract.

King Mapes

Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton

But there's no doubt his defensive game needs work to be a center in the NHL. He is small, he hasn't proven anyone wrong until he does it in the NHL. He has alot of creativity and I'm one of the biggest Drouin fans out there but he hasn't proven the "too small for the NHL" guys wrong yet.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I find it difficult to believe the Tampa would give up the 3rd overall just to get rid of Lecavalier's contract. I know they want to get rid of his contract, but they can't want it that bad.

CerebralDevil

Jul 14, 2011
Claude Loiselle did say that the Leafs were looking at trading for a bad contract, to buyout. Who knows whats gonna happen??? Is it going to be TB and Lecavalier, I just don't see the 3rd overall in that mix. It depends on whats going back and who is at #3?

Tonka

OFFSIDE
Apr 8, 2007
As a fan for many years of this game of hockey, having watched years of trade deadlines/drafts...this rumour aint happening, and if it does then expect the Leafs to give away a blue-chipper. No one trades a 3rd overall pick for scraps. A 3rd overall fix potentially fixes a franchise and owners are not going to trade that away just to clear up capspace no matter how bad of a financial situation they are in.

These type of deals do not happen ever without a star player/blue-chipper going to the other side as well.
As for this organization Rielly, Kadri, Gardiner, Kessel and Reimer* should be close to untouchable.

Beleafer4

Apr 4, 2010
My personal draft list is

1)Mackinnon=Jones=Drouin
4)Lindholm
5)Nichushkin
6)Barkov
7) Monahan

So yes, if we got the #3, I would take drouin and not think twice. He is just too skilled and has a huge amount of compete. Similarly if Jones is there, I would take him. I don't think mackinnon will be available though.

That or I would move down a bit and try to grab more picks.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Claude Loiselle did say that the Leafs were looking at trading for a bad contract, to buyout. Who knows whats gonna happen??? Is it going to be TB and Lecavalier, I just don't see the 3rd overall in that mix. It depends on whats going back and who is at #3?

that statement was so overblown

was in the car listening to that interview. he was asked would you consider acquiring a buyout player and he basically said they would consider anything to improve the team.

but people make it out like he said that's their gamelan for the summer.

its like anything, if the right deal is presented, you do it.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
Aside from our assistant GM stating that they are planning to do so, it makes sense for the Leafs to use the compliance buyouts to gain assets.

The Leafs are the richest team in the NHL and don't really need to buy out anyone. So, I'm sure there are a few cash strapped teams whom would like to take advantage.

The Leafs give the ability for teams in a bad place financially to get out of a bad contract without having to actually pay it out.

If we don't use our two buyouts, I'm going to be upset at Nonis. :)

Beleafer4

Apr 4, 2010
ya its fun to think of the possibilities but I don't see the Lecavelier deal happening. The cap is only expected to drop this year and it will then start increasing again.

I can see tampa shipping out Malone using their 2nd round pick (for the leafs 4th round pick) or something like that.

Iskandm004

Jun 14, 2007
people the reason they want us to buy him out is so they can resign him for cheap again as a UFA.

U cant resign or trade for a player that you bought out for one year. thats why they wants us to do them that favor

King Mapes

Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
If we can net Mackinnon or even Druin yes, yes I would love that. Not roster players of course but Mid level prospects.

People act like its a huge deal. 30 mill to us is nothing. We are the Leafs, the one team who can afford it. Getting potentially the most offensive player in this draft is huge. This guy is like Eberle/Giroux type guy. I doubt Tampa does it though

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
The answer is no.

For anyone to take on some of these monolithic contracts it will take gross overpayment. Gillis is waking up right now to this very reality. Reilly is a year closer and was taken 5th overall. It will take the 3rd overall pick just to get anyone to look at Vinny's contract. There are now teams lining up at Nonnis' door cap in hand. There will be no assets going back as owners are desperate to get out of losing situations, many looking to clean up their books so they can sell i.e NYI. These owners don't care about prospects so much as losing Millions.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
For anyone to take on some of these monolithic contracts it will take gross overpayment. Gillis is waking up right now to this very reality. Reilly is a year closer and was taken 5th overall. It will take the 3rd overall pick just to get anyone to look at Vinny's contract. There are now teams lining up at Nonnis' door cap in hand. There will be no assets going back as owners are desperate to get out of losing situations, many looking to clean up their books so they can sell i.e NYI. These owners don't care about prospects so much as losing Millions.

This is exactly why it makes more sense then people are willing to give credit for. You can't look at it as a hockey deal, this is about owners getting rid of liabilities for large sums of money and in the end the GM wouldn't have much of a say if the owners really wanted that contract off the books.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad