Rumor: Lecavalier and 3rd overall 2013 pick to T.O.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyGuy82

Jan 22, 2011
Ottawa
here's a rumor from John Jaeckel, HockeyBuzz blogger for the Hawks.

Quote:

First, I heard a rumor out of Canada on Monday (very good source) that the Leafs have offered two mid-level roster players and a package of draft picks for Tampa Bay’s 3rd selection overall and Vincent LeCavalier, who would then be bought out.

Not making it up—I wouldn’t pretend to know enough about either team to do so. Good source, take it for what it is.

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
here's a rumor from John Jaeckel, HockeyBuzz blogger for the Hawks.

Quote:

First, I heard a rumor out of Canada on Monday (very good source) that the Leafs have offered two mid-level roster players and a package of draft picks for Tampa Bay’s 3rd selection overall and Vincent LeCavalier, who would then be bought out.

Not making it up—I wouldn’t pretend to know enough about either team to do so. Good source, take it for what it is.

Hockeybuzz is not a good source.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Already being discussed in Trade thread. Hardly a rumor though.

It's exactly what a rumour is:

ru·mor [roo-mer]
noun

a story or statement in general circulation without confirmation or certainty as to facts: a rumor of war.

gossip; hearsay: Don't listen to rumor.

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
That would be a deal I would want to make. Move over stammer there's a new sheriff in town

HockeyGuy82

Jan 22, 2011
Ottawa
yeah it does sound stupid. but i think/hope something along those lines will happen. that we use 1 of our buyouts to gain a good prospects.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I don't trust anything at Hockeybuzz, but hypothetically, this would be an interest move.

All though I'm not sure why we would buyout Lecavalier. I would give him a chance this year. Buy him out next season if it doesn't work out. He's still a ~70-75 point player when healthy.

Grapes03

Feb 27, 2012
This would be a wonderful move by the leafs.

TB has no money and no cap room, we help Yzerman. We give him two players with low cap hits, our first rounder and other picks.
We use a buy out on Vinny, then sign him for far less money. He can play for us in place of Bozak who is now free to go to another team.
We use the third overall on another center who will be nhl ready the time Vinny is too old to center our first or second lines.

By 2015-16 We will have a Kadri-Barkov (or whoever else) one-two punch.

I hope this rumor has legs!

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

TB has no money and no cap room, we help Yzerman. We give him two players with low cap hits, our first rounder and other picks.
We use a buy out on Vinny, then sign him for far less money. He can play for us in place of Bozak who is now free to go to another team.
We use the third overall on another center who will be nhl ready the time Vinny is too old to center our first or second lines.

I don't think you can buy out a player and then re-sign him for less money. Also, can you actually trade for a guy and then use an amnesty on him? I thought you couldn't do that.

Acekicker123

Dec 31, 2007
Mississauga, Ontario

Don't think you can re-sign a player that you compliance buy out.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Not going to happen. I don't see T Bay paying that hefty price when they would still have to have the lineup spot filled, and I don't see him waiving the NT for this deal. this will not be one of Hockeybuzz's 3% correct "scoops."

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
I don't think you can buy out a player and then re-sign him for less money. Also, can you actually trade for a guy and then use an amnesty on him? I thought you couldn't do that.

Probably what makes this a little palatable for Tampa is that they trade VL to Toronto they buy him out and the Tampa signs him at a greatly reduced salary(he never actually even leaves, all paper) - win/win and a little guy in NY gets mad because the system was circumvented.

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
Don't think you can re-sign a player that you compliance buy out.

No, but IIRC under the new CBA Tampa could certainly "re-sign" Vinny if the Leafs had bought him out.

They'd essentially be buying that 3rd overall pick.

Tampa trades Vinny + 3rd to a team.

That team buys out Vinny.

Vinny re-signs with Tampa at a lower cost, but is compensated via the buyout.

Grapes03

Feb 27, 2012
You guys are right, turns out you cant amnesty then re sign.
I was hoping this was a move that would lead to Bozak leaving town.... rats.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

You can't buy out a player and sign him.

I doubt very much this "has legs".

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
No, but IIRC under the new CBA Tampa could certainly "re-sign" Vinny if the Leafs had bought him out.

They'd essentially be buying that 3rd round pick.

Tampa trades Vinny + 3rd to a team.

That team buys out Vinny.

Vinny re-signs with Tampa at a lower cost, but is compensated via the buyout.

Genius.

Patty Lee

I hate the Habs
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
You guys are right, turns out you cant amnesty then re sign.
I was hoping this was a move that would lead to Bozak leaving town.... rats.
his coach doesn't want him to leave town. he loves him. so someone coming in doesn't mean he will be leaving anyway.

how much money he wants will determine if he stays or goes

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
This would only be a good move if Tampa Bay was willing to retain half of what Lecavalier's contract for their salary cap. Toronto might have the salary cap space, however why should Nonis be expected to take on the whole contract. That's part of the reason why Luongo wasn't traded to the Leafs at the deadline when there was those last minute talks.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Little bit off topic, but whenever we discuss something here on HF, the Mike Augello guy makes a blog about it the next day on Hockey Buzz

Shows the credibility of that site.

Pinto

Kings of the North!
Aug 28, 2003
Port Dover, Ontario
This would only be a good move if Tampa Bay was willing to retain half of what Lecavalier's contract for their salary cap. Toronto might have the salary cap space, however why should Nonis be expected to take on the whole contract. That's part of the reason why Luongo wasn't traded to the Leafs at the deadline when there was those last minute talks.

We'd be taking on all of Lecavalier's contract (for a buyout) to essentially buy/lower the price of the #3 pick.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Not going to happen. I don't see T Bay paying that hefty price when they would still have to have the lineup spot filled, and I don't see him waiving the NT for this deal. this will not be one of Hockeybuzz's 3% correct "scoops."

The only team paying a hefty price here is the Leafs.

We'd have to pay $30 million plus other assets(players, picks, prospects) to get in a position to get Drouin or who ever.

The one good thing about the rumour if you are in favour of it is, It's not Eklund.

Two issues though.

1. Lecavalier has a NMC

2. If the deal were to be completed we would run the risk of giving Lecavalier basically to Montreal a divisional opponent cause that or returning to Tampa are the most likely scenarios.

My overall thoughts on the speculated deal is I'd only do it if the end game is to get Mackinnon. With due respect to the other players IMO they're not worth the assets, Money, And the hassle to complete such a move.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Maybe we can't re-sign Lecavelier after buying him out, but I hear his "hermano" Señor Vincenzo ElCaballero is a pretty capable first line center

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
The only team paying a hefty price here is the Leafs.

We'd have to pay $30 million plus other assets(players, picks, prospects) to get in a position to get Drouin or who ever.

The one good thing about the rumour if you are in favour of it is, It's not Eklund.

Two issues though.

1. Lecavalier has a NMC

2. If the deal were to be completed we would run the risk of giving Lecavalier basically to Montreal a divisional opponent cause that or returning to Tampa are the most likely scenarios.

My overall thoughts on the speculated deal is I'd only do it if the end game is to get Mackinnon. With due respect to the other players IMO they're not worth the assets, Money, And the hassle to complete such a move.

Agreed they are the most "likely" scenario's.

But I think the only way both Yzermand and Nonis were to complete such a deal, would be if they had Vinny's word he was returning to Tampa Bay at a much cheaper cap hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille