Rumor: Lecavalier and 3rd overall 2013 pick to T.O.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
Why dont we keep Lecavalier for a year since we can still use the buyout next offseason. Like that Lecavalier would benefit from a change of scenery and who knows maybe he refind his magic touch he had back in the days. How bout something like this :

Mikhail Grabovski 5.5M
John-Michael Liles 3.875M
Mike Komisarek 3.575M
3rd Round Pick in 2013

for

Vincent Lecavalier 7.727M
Slater Koekkoek 1.475M
3rd Overall Pick (Jonathan Drouin)

Resign Bozak 4yr deal 4.5Mper
Sign David Clarkson 4yr deal 4.5Mper
Sign Douglas Murray 3yr deal worth 3.25Mper
Sign Maxim Lapierre 2yr deal worth 1.1Mper
Sign Raffi Torres 1yr deal worth 1M
Sign Dan Ellis 1yr 900K
Sign Paul Ranger 1yr 1.5M

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Frattin
Kulemin - Lecavalier - Clarkson
Torres - McClement - Lapierre
Orr, Broll, Colborne, Ashton

Phaneuf - Gunnarsson
Gardiner - Murray/Ranger
Fraser/Ranger/Murray - Franson

Reimer
Ellis

Not sure if we would have enough capspace but we should be fine :p

LOL, did you really put Bozak higher on the depth chart then Lecavalier? Not to mention 4.5 for him is a massive overpayment and a waist of cap space. Absolutely do not want Lapierre anywhere near this team. And if TB were to trade Vinny it would be for cap relief, not to take on more.

goonx

Nov 7, 2010
As a fan for many years of this game of hockey, having watched years of trade deadlines/drafts...this rumour aint happening, and if it does then expect the Leafs to give away a blue-chipper. No one trades a 3rd overall pick for scraps. A 3rd overall fix potentially fixes a franchise and owners are not going to trade that away just to clear up capspace no matter how bad of a financial situation they are in.

These type of deals do not happen ever without a star player/blue-chipper going to the other side as well.
As for this organization Rielly, Kadri, Gardiner, Kessel and Reimer* should be close to untouchable.

What people fail to understand that these bad contracts also KILL a franchise.

It's no use having the #3 pick when you don't have the money to sign young players; The money being tied up in a declining player that you can't trade away. 7million a year in savings = sign 2 RFA deals @ a modest 3.5 million for 3-4 years.

Not all teams are like the leafs where they have die hard fanbases and make truckloads of money year after year.

Half of NHL teams lose money (and with cap sharing, leafs actually pay some back to the teams that are losers).

Best example: Vancouver has 5 mil tied up in luongo who no one wants. Not even for Scrivens + 2nd rounders. They have ZERO capspace for 2013-2014

Last edited:

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Why dont we keep Lecavalier for a year since we can still use the buyout next offseason. Like that Lecavalier would benefit from a change of scenery and who knows maybe he refind his magic touch he had back in the days. How bout something like this :

Mikhail Grabovski 5.5M
John-Michael Liles 3.875M
Mike Komisarek 3.575M
3rd Round Pick in 2013

for

Vincent Lecavalier 7.727M
Slater Koekkoek 1.475M
3rd Overall Pick (Jonathan Drouin)

Resign Bozak 4yr deal 4.5Mper
Sign David Clarkson 4yr deal 4.5Mper
Sign Douglas Murray 3yr deal worth 3.25Mper
Sign Maxim Lapierre 2yr deal worth 1.1Mper
Sign Raffi Torres 1yr deal worth 1M
Sign Dan Ellis 1yr 900K
Sign Paul Ranger 1yr 1.5M

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Frattin
Kulemin - Lecavalier - Clarkson
Torres - McClement - Lapierre
Orr, Broll, Colborne, Ashton

Phaneuf - Gunnarsson
Gardiner - Murray/Ranger
Fraser/Ranger/Murray - Franson

Reimer
Ellis

Not sure if we would have enough capspace but we should be fine :p

LOL. Where do I start... :shakehead

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
I think Tampa Bay will make the playoffs next year (yes I know they'll be in our division). They have quite a lot of talent, and it looked like they got really unlucky (look at their goal differential). It's not like Lecavalier is a truly awful player, but he does take up a lot of cap room. He also doesn't need to be the face of the franchise like he once was with players like Stamkos and Hedman on the team.

If the Leafs acquire Lecavalier... do you even want to buy him out? Or would you rather put him as a #1C? Sure he isn't the player he once was, but put him between Lupul and Kessel and it could work wonders for his game. Leafs do have a lot of salary they could use in the offseason. Of course the price has to be right.

Drakkor

Apr 21, 2007
I think Tampa Bay will make the playoffs next year (yes I know they'll be in our division). They have quite a lot of talent, and it looked like they got really unlucky (look at their goal differential). It's not like Lecavalier is a truly awful player, but he does take up a lot of cap room. He also doesn't need to be the face of the franchise like he once was with players like Stamkos and Hedman on the team.

If the Leafs acquire Lecavalier... do you even want to buy him out? Or would you rather put him as a #1C? Sure he isn't the player he once was, but put him between Lupul and Kessel and it could work wonders for his game. Leafs do have a lot of salary they could use in the offseason. Of course the price has to be right.

Or

Lupul Kadri Kessel
JVR VL Kulemin/Frattin

Not gonna happen but imagine if teams had to make a choice on which line to match your top defence pairing against.

SnipeCheeseAllDay

Jan 16, 2007
Toronto
Gardiner
1st 2013
3rd 2013

for

Lecavalier
3rd Overall (Barkov)

Trade Grabovski for a 2nd
Sign Clarkson
Re-sign Bozak
Buyout Lecavalier

----------

Lupul (A) - Barkov - Kessel
JVR - Kadri - Clarkson
D'Amigo - Bozak - Kulemin
McLaren - McClement (A) - Orr
-Frattin/Colborne/Ashton

Phaneuf (C) - Ranger
Rielly - Gunnarsson
Fraser - Franson
-Liles/Blacker/Holzer

Reimer
Scrivens

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
I don't think TB steps back almost 20 spots missing out on a surefire prospect for Gardiner + 3rd just to unload Vinny.

SnipeCheeseAllDay

Jan 16, 2007
Toronto
I think they would. They are missing a dynamic defenseman and don't need much help in their top 6 really. And getting rid of Vinny's contract would be huge for that franchise/ownership.

InterceptSchenn

Good Evening MrFrost
Jan 15, 2012
Montreal
Gardiner
1st 2013
3rd 2013

for

Lecavalier
3rd Overall (Barkov)

Sign Clarkson
Re-sign Bozak
Buyout Lecavalier

----------

JVR - Kadri - Clarkson
-Frattin/Colborne/Ashton

Phaneuf (C) - Ranger
Rielly - Gunnarsson
Fraser - Franson
-Liles/Blacker/Holzer

Reimer
Scrivens

This lineup does not even look like a playoff calibre team.......

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
I don't think TB steps back almost 20 spots missing out on a surefire prospect for Gardiner + 3rd just to unload Vinny.

And I don't think the Leafs would pay Gardiner and many many millions of dollars to get the 3rd overall pick.

SnipeCheeseAllDay

Jan 16, 2007
Toronto
This lineup does not even look like a playoff calibre team.......
Barkov >>>>>> Bozak on the first line
Bozak on the 3rd line >>>>> Grabovski
Rielly is the same player as Gardiner except has more potential IMO
Ranger with Phaneuf >>>>> any other dman we had this past season
Clarkson >>>>>> Frattin

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
Gardiner
1st 2013
3rd 2013

for

Lecavalier
3rd Overall (Barkov)

Sign Clarkson
Re-sign Bozak
Buyout Lecavalier

----------

JVR - Kadri - Clarkson
-Frattin/Colborne/Ashton

Phaneuf (C) - Ranger
Rielly - Gunnarsson
Fraser - Franson
-Liles/Blacker/Holzer

Reimer
Scrivens

No, thank you.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
I think they gladly would if it was an option.

It would never be offered. The Leafs would be shelling out a gigantic sum of money so that Tampa's cap situation looks a whole lot brighter. They certainly won't be tossing in an excellent young cornerstone in Gardiner as well.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
It would never be offered. The Leafs would be shelling out a gigantic sum of money so that Tampa's cap situation looks a whole lot brighter. They certainly won't be tossing in an excellent young cornerstone in Gardiner as well.

You have to give to get. I understand we're in no position to be giving away young defensemen but we have good young players coming up and MoRiles is as talented as Gardiner. What we lack is someone like a Barkov.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
You have to give to get. I understand we're in no position to be giving away young defensemen but we have good young players coming up and MoRiles is as talented as Gardiner. What we lack is someone like a Barkov.

If we were talking about the #3 alone, that's one thing. But the only reason that pick would be on the table at all is because of Lecavalier and his contract. That's why you have to give up the pick, in this hypothetical scenario. Tampa's being done a huge financial favour.

I wouldn't be totally against moving Gardiner, nobody can be untouchable...but I don't feel it would be necessary in this instance.

And a defence corps with Phaneuf Gardiner and Rielly all getting substantial minutes could be pretty damn good if the two kids reach the level they're seemingly capable of. Certainly much better than it was this year with Kostka, Fraser, Holzer and a hobbled Gunnarsson struggling to make simple plays to get the puck out of our zone.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Trading Gardiner for #3 overall is already risky... Something I would probably do, but it's risky trading a young potential top line Dman like Gardiner for an unproven pick. Then we're adding our #21 overall, our 3rd, and taking on over 20m in a buyout from a team that's losing money every year? That doesn't make sense to me at all...

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land

This line of thinking always baffles me. Is there a rule some where that I've over looked that says you can't have more than one promising young defensemen in your system? I'm beginning to wonder cause all this Gardiner trade talk is amazes me (not in a good way); Especially after how good he was in the playoffs, And As much as I like Morgan Rielly I don't know if we can expect that level of performance for a couple seasons yet; And the prospects below him(Finn, Percy, Granberg etc..) we don't really know yet.

Hardy incentive to trade Gardiner in deal like this.

Also if this were to happen, I would hope it's in a effort to get Mackinnon cause I think he's only there worth $30 million + picks and/or prospects. But that's just me.

leafspring*

This thread is off the wall to say the least. t-BAY is not giving the leafs or any other team the 3rd over-all for any reason. So if any found a reason in this thread why it is possible then go shake your pillow,because it won't be happening.

Vincent Lecavalier has a NMC which eliminates everything that he is unwilling to agree to except T-BAY buying him out basically.

This thread is pathetic.

SnipeCheeseAllDay

Jan 16, 2007
Toronto
This. We aren't gonna go far without a #1C. Ask any of the previous Cup champions.

false bobo

Dec 6, 2011
Gardiner
1st 2013
3rd 2013

for

Lecavalier
3rd Overall (Barkov)

Sign Clarkson
Re-sign Bozak
Buyout Lecavalier

----------

JVR - Kadri - Clarkson
-Frattin/Colborne/Ashton

Phaneuf (C) - Ranger
Rielly - Gunnarsson
Fraser - Franson
-Liles/Blacker/Holzer

Reimer
Scrivens

Lmao. Horrible.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
There is no way Tampa does any of the deals mentioned in this thread that I have seen. Ever.

Even if your team is in a terrible financial spot, selling assets just to save a buck will turn your fans and cost more in the long term.

For this deal to be even remotely possible, it would have to include Dion, he is what Tampa needs and could sell to their fans. Anything else is just wishful thinking as far as I am concerned.

goonx

Nov 7, 2010
There is no way Tampa does any of the deals mentioned in this thread that I have seen. Ever.

Even if your team is in a terrible financial spot, selling assets just to save a buck will turn your fans and cost more in the long term.

For this deal to be even remotely possible, it would have to include Dion, he is what Tampa needs and could sell to their fans. Anything else is just wishful thinking as far as I am concerned.

How about opening 7.7 million dollars in capspace? It's not just SAVING a buck.

If you got 7.7 million for just 1 year, you'll be set for life. Put it in the bank and the interest will feed you for the rest of your days.

If you lose too much money, the franchise will relocate (altanta thrashers, new york islanders, Phoenix?). How would fans feel then? How's that for food-for-thought?

Teams don't run on angel dust. It's ALL about the money.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille