Rumor: Lecavalier and 3rd overall 2013 pick to T.O.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 1, 2010
This is clearly circumvention of Collective Bargaining Agreement and Burke would not approve

Amen to that. :handclap:

Seriously though I believe the rumor was two mid roster players plus a package of picks. I'll add a prospect.

Frattin
Gunnerson
Colborne
1st 2013 (21st)
1st 2014

for

Lecavalier
1st 2013 (3rd)

I would be tempted to move down to #4, 5, or 6. Grab one of Nish, Bar, Mon. Any one of those would be fine.

Don't know if Drouin fits our plans, elite talent or not. Either Nish or a Center is what I am thinking. If we can add another top 40 pick and stay in the top 6 for the #3, I'm ok with that.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
All this talk about trading down if they get the number 3 pick? If the Leafs get the number 3 pick and they don't pick either Drouin, Jones or Mackinnon. That will be a big mistake, there's a huge drop off of talent from number 3 to 4, Drouin should be a PPG player in this league.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
We'd be taking on all of Lecavalier's contract (for a buyout) to essentially buy/lower the price of the #3 pick.

this is the draft with a few franchise type players .......leafs should explore every opportunity to get a high pick
just look at morgan reily as compared to tyler biggs .....u get 3 liners at 20 tyh overall
u get get young lacavallier's at no 3

Yosho

Logic
Mar 30, 2010
Kitchener, ON
No, but IIRC under the new CBA Tampa could certainly "re-sign" Vinny if the Leafs had bought him out.

They'd essentially be buying that 3rd overall pick.

Tampa trades Vinny + 3rd to a team.

That team buys out Vinny.

Vinny re-signs with Tampa at a lower cost, but is compensated via the buyout.

Amazing.

WWB

Jun 30, 2010
Ontario
Is this in the CBA? This is a rule that would make sense and would kibosh a lot of the speculation regarding use of the compliance buyouts. But you have a link to this rule?

I would doubt such rule exists. Allowing wealthy teams to trade for and buyout poorer teams mistakes helps out the poorer teams stay a float. Seems that spreading the wealth is what the last lockout was all about.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I doubt this happens. Lecavalier's cap is only $7.7m and he could be traded without the third overall. Just give him a strong playmaking winger like Kessel and his production will go up. Phil never had access to to big physical centre that can finish his plays.

JVR - Lecavalier - Kessel

Double shift JVR and Lecavalier in a shut down role with Kulemin. It may be possible for Kessel to succeed in such a role. We could essentially have two other depth scoring lines while McClement centres a checking/ energy line.

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
Much more realistic.

People expecting the 3rd overall pick for Vincent's contract need to get a clue.

I'm not sure it's worth it. If we could get Mackinnon I'd do it, but I guess we could get Barkov here...

I'd probably do it.

In what world is a 3rd overall pick worth Gardiner + Frattin + 21st overall + 30M$ + Vinny signed back at market value (or less considering he is getting 30M$ upfront out of this) for far less time, do you really see Nonis doing that?

WWB

Jun 30, 2010
Ontario
jughead42;67468685[B said:
]If we trade for Lecavalier why do we buy him out? Why not keep him AND the 3rd?[/B] It's not like we have a center of his caliber on the roster, we need a guy like that. His cap hit is a bit hefty, but if Bozak wants 5 million a year I'll pay the extra 2.7 per season for Lecavalier any day of the week. For that matter, we're paying Grabovski 5.5 million, we could trade/buyout his ass and only need an extra 2.2 to pay for Lecavalier. We need a number one center so badly, it boggles my mind that we would trade for him just to buy him out. He's just going to sign for peanuts to play for some team that plays in our division and haunt us for the move. Forget that. Keep him.

Doubt Vinny would waive his NMC to come to the Leafs unless he knows he's getting bought out and can re-sign with Tampa.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
In what world is a 3rd overall pick worth Gardiner + Frattin + 21st overall + 30M$ + Vinny signed back at market value (or less considering he is getting 30M$ upfront out of this) for far less time, do you really see Nonis doing that?

While your point still stands overall, the buyout cost of $30,000,000 would be spread over the next 14 years as opposed to "upfront" or ahead of re-signing in TB. He will still get it but piece meal at < $2 mil per.

Cool Hand Luke

May 27, 2008
In the Barkov vs. Drouin debate, I personally take Barkov. I think he's going to be the 2nd best forward in this draft behind MacKinnon. Actually, I feel like Nichushkin will do better than Drouin in the end. I feel like Drouin has the highest bust potential, not a true bust of course, but just not living up to "franchise player" potential. Tons of undersized guys with sick dangles have dominated in juniors (especially the Q) only to find the transition into playing with less space and huge men a challange. Barkov is already a man at 17, and his numbers in Finland are pretty much unmatchable.

Top 3 Finnish Players to play in SM-L ever

1. Temmu Selanne
Rookie season in SM-L (19 years old) - 11 games, 4 goals, 8 assists, 12 points
2. Jarri Kurri
Rookie season in SM-L (17 years old) - 29 games, 2 goals, 9 assists, 11 points
3. Saku Koivu
Rookie season in SM-L (18 years old) - 46 games, 3 goals, 7 assists, 10 points

Sasha Alexander Barkov
Rookie Season in SM-L (16 years old) - 25 games, 5 goals, 12 assists, 17 points

16 years old! In a professional league!

The argument always comes up too that Finland does not have a great track record in developing skaters. We'll Sasha was born and trained in Russia until moving to Finland late in his development, so I feel like he is an exception to that rule. He's basically a superstar Russian prospect who has already left Russia to forward his career, which in my estimation decreases the "Russian Factor" significantly.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
In the Barkov vs. Drouin debate, I personally take Barkov. I think he's going to be the 2nd best forward in this draft behind MacKinnon. Actually, I feel like Nichushkin will do better than Drouin in the end. I feel like Drouin has the highest bust potential, not a true bust of course, but just not living up to "franchise player" potential. Tons of undersized guys with sick dangles have dominated in juniors (especially the Q) only to find the transition into playing with less space and huge men a challange. Barkov is already a man at 17, and his numbers in Finland are pretty much unmatchable.

Top 3 Finnish Players to play in SM-L ever

1. Temmu Selanne
Rookie season in SM-L (19 years old) - 11 games, 4 goals, 8 assists, 12 points
2. Jarri Kurri
Rookie season in SM-L (17 years old) - 29 games, 2 goals, 9 assists, 11 points
3. Saku Koivu
Rookie season in SM-L (18 years old) - 46 games, 3 goals, 7 assists, 10 points

Sasha Alexander Barkov
Rookie Season in SM-L (16 years old) - 25 games, 5 goals, 12 assists, 17 points

16 years old! In a professional league!

The argument always comes up too that Finland does not have a great track record in developing skaters. We'll Sasha was born and trained in Russia until moving to Finland late in his development, so I feel like he is an exception to that rule. He's basically a superstar Russian prospect who has already left Russia to forward his career, which in my estimation decreases the "Russian Factor" significantly.

It's a stretch to consider those number relevant when they were all put up 20+ years ago.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
it would be sick if toronto do a deal for vinny byrz or dipietro and get an asset .... then offer sheet for a need like center or rhd D

example

leafs: Komisarek, Blacker

NYI: Dipietro, griffin reinhart ,2nd 2013

then Leafs offer sheet Alex Pietrengelo

:naughty:

St. Louis will match pretty much any offer sheet to Pietrengelo.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto

30 mil is meaningless if it makes our team better. The money can be made back by more playoff appearances.

Gardiner + Frattin +1st is a pretty nice deal to get a elite prospect with a good chance to be a 1st line winger/centre.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
30 mil is meaningless if it makes our team better. The money can be made back by more playoff appearances.

Gardiner + Frattin +1st is a pretty nice deal to get a elite prospect with a good chance to be a 1st line winger/centre.

Gardiner has a good chance of being a 1st pairing Dman, Frattin a 2nd/3rd liner and the 1st rounder could be a top six as well. Doesn't seem reasonable to me at all.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
30Mil is irrelevant. We will be taking ourselves out of the opportunity to bid for Lecavalier and that is very important. That's why I believe that we should be able to hang on to our 21st if that would come into play.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
This would be a wonderful move by the leafs.

TB has no money and no cap room, we help Yzerman. We give him two players with low cap hits, our first rounder and other picks.
We use a buy out on Vinny, then sign him for far less money. He can play for us in place of Bozak who is now free to go to another team.
We use the third overall on another center who will be nhl ready the time Vinny is too old to center our first or second lines.

By 2015-16 We will have a Kadri-Barkov (or whoever else) one-two punch.

I hope this rumor has legs!

We can't buy him out and then resign him for less money. If team buys out a player they are not allowed to resign that player so he could only sign with another team.

EDDIE20*

A $30 million 3rd overall pick...

I like it.

Leafs owners have been bleeding leaf fans dry (all with a lackluster pathetic product) for far too long.
The richest team in the league SHOULD be doing anything and everything possible to take advantage of this once in a lifetime opportunity to flex their ridiculously strong financial muscles.

It never ends with you, does it?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Gardiner + Frattin +1st (21st overall) for #3 overall is already a decent offer to move up 18 spots in the draft, without having to add Vinny to the picture at all.

The buyout of Vinny would lower the assets traded for him significantly as the $30 mil savings to TB is the real reward to them. Not that I believe for 1 second MLSE would toss away $30 mil in the blink of an eye.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
MLSE could recoup the 30 million so quick it would not be funny. Raise the price of beer by 50 cents raise the ticket prices by 1% and get to the 3rd round of the playoffs would wipe that 30 million out in 1 year.

If the ability to secure the 3rd overall pick is there you have a shot at a franchise player this organization sorely lacks. From the 3rd overall you could swap up 1 one and grab the player you want.

Money is no object to MLSE if it was presented by Lewieke saying it will help us become yearly playoff participants.

Drmckool

Truculence!
Jun 16, 2010
From the T.O
MLSE could recoup the 30 million so quick it would not be funny. Raise the price of beer by 50 cents raise the ticket prices by 1% and get to the 3rd round of the playoffs would wipe that 30 million out in 1 year.

If the ability to secure the 3rd overall pick is there you have a shot at a franchise player this organization sorely lacks. From the 3rd overall you could swap up 1 one and grab the player you want.

Money is no object to MLSE if it was presented by Lewieke saying it will help us become yearly playoff participants.

$30 million is roughly 1/3 of the team's EBIDA (according to the numbers that came out last year when the team changed hands)

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
$30 million is roughly 1/3 of the team's EBIDA (according to the numbers that came out last year when the team changed hands)

What is EBIDA? Sorry just looked up the definition. Do you think they wouldn't do it cause of that or would do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad