Rumor: Lecavalier and 3rd overall 2013 pick to T.O.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
This is exactly why it makes more sense then people are willing to give credit for. You can't look at it as a hockey deal, this is about owners getting rid of liabilities for large sums of money and in the end the GM wouldn't have much of a say if the owners really wanted that contract off the books.

This.

The fact is, Vinny wants to be in TB, and TB wants to keep Vinny - but his contract will be a hinderance to their ability to improve. They don't have much cap space now, and Yzerman is probably under instructions to come in even less than the new cap #... plus you consider the fact that TB loses money means there is no financial benefit for the TB owner to pay the buy out.

TB need a D man badly with Salo likely not coming back. Realistically I can something along the lines of Gunnar / Franson + #21 and maybe a mid-level prospect who is almost ready, such as D'Amigo or Granberg for #3 + Vinny on the condition that Vinny gets bought out so that TB can resign him for far less than he's worth.

If I was Nonis - I'd do it in a heartbeat. No - we're not getting a potential franchise player for free, on top of the $ for the buy out we will have to give up some assets, just not nearly as much as we would without the buyout.

If Nonis did that, and then something with NYI along the lines of Komisarek, Ashton and a 2nd rounder for Strome, #15, and Dipietro - that would suddenly give us a bevy of high level prospects (Quality) for some mid-level guys plus a boatload of cash!

TMLFAN4LIFE

Dec 11, 2006
TB need a D man badly with Salo likely not coming back. Realistically I can something along the lines of Gunnar / Franson + #21 and maybe a mid-level prospect who is almost ready, such as D'Amigo or Granberg for #3 + Vinny on the condition that Vinny gets bought out so that TB can resign him for far less than he's worth.

If I was Nonis - I'd do it in a heartbeat. No - we're not getting a potential franchise player for free, on top of the $ for the buy out we will have to give up some assets, just not nearly as much as we would without the buyout.

No S*** you would do it in a heartbeat. Hellen Keller would too. LOL

Kadri or Gardiner would have to be included instead of D'Amigo/Granberg at the very least. I'd also imagine teams would be more interested in former first round picks (Colborne, Ross, Biggs, Percy) over D'amigo/Granberg.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Anyone who's actually rich doesn't get/stay that way by wasting money. 45 million dollars is still 45 million dollars. Any successful person would see the value of being able to give away assets one time to rid yourself of 45 million and 7 YEARS worth of liabilities. Maybe The leafs could give this years 21st and next years, allowing Tampa to shed liabilities but also continue to restructure and build in the process. Again, Burke traded a first from the 2000 draft and Mcabe for the 4th overall in the 99 draft.I think Vinny's deal off the books(45 million), a first AND roster players/prospects not worth the 3rd overall? Tampa isn't even bring in a profit right now, they need to make some sort of move.

Dude knows how to make money. I'm saying if he really wanted to buy him out he would. I honestly don't think we will buy him out though, nor do I think we will trade him this offseason. Your right they do need to make a move. But VL isn't the only candidate. We will most likely buyout Malone. Keep 3 and maybe trade Brewer for a bag of pucks. We also have a lot of solid players on our farm team in Syracuse ready to play in the NHL. It's not do or die time for TB. We have a lot of solid young players ready learn at the NHL level now and keeping VL around isn't all that bad for us. Fans love him, he loves TB, and does a lot for our community with that money he got from the team. Plus he's still a solid player when healthy.

We have a great young nucleus to build around. We will have another piece when we draft at 3. Cooper knows all these young guys because he coached them the past few years. I think we will have a solid few years building this team into a contender. Plus we may be one of the worst teams in the league at the moment but this team has been fun to watch. Stamkos is a treat to watch as you guys know. MSL still amazes the crowd. As does VL when he is on. Our defense and Goaltending may be the worst in the league but this team knows how to put the puck in the net. The product is there and the fans are enjoying it. Trading away #3 and VL would not make our fans happy.

Our owner has been all about making the fans happy. Putting 40 mil into our arena without needing anything back from the fans and then he does something like this? I'm sorry leaf fans but its not going to happen. If no Lightning fan wants to do it why would our owner or Steve Yzerman want to do it?? You haven't seen any lightning fans say oh please take VL off our hands, we would pay you #3 overall to do it. Not gonna come from anybody who supports the Tampa Bay Lightning. I can guarantee you that. If I'm wrong I will gladly come on here and say I was wrong.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Dude knows how to make money. I'm saying if he really wanted to buy him out he would. I honestly don't think we will buy him out though, nor do I think we will trade him this offseason. Your right they do need to make a move. But VL isn't the only candidate. We will most likely buyout Malone. Keep 3 and maybe trade Brewer for a bag of pucks. We also have a lot of solid players on our farm team in Syracuse ready to play in the NHL. It's not do or die time for TB. We have a lot of solid young players ready learn at the NHL level now and keeping VL around isn't all that bad for us. Fans love him, he loves TB, and does a lot for our community with that money he got from the team. Plus he's still a solid player when healthy.

We have a great young nucleus to build around. We will have another piece when we draft at 3. Cooper knows all these young guys because he coached them the past few years. I think we will have a solid few years building this team into a contender. Plus we may be one of the worst teams in the league at the moment but this team has been fun to watch. Stamkos is a treat to watch as you guys know. MSL still amazes the crowd. As does VL when he is on. Our defense and Goaltending may be the worst in the league but this team knows how to put the puck in the net. The product is there and the fans are enjoying it. Trading away #3 and VL would not make our fans happy.

Our owner has been all about making the fans happy. Putting 40 mil into our arena without needing anything back from the fans and then he does something like this? I'm sorry leaf fans but its not going to happen. If no Lightning fan wants to do it why would our owner or Steve Yzerman want to do it?? You haven't seen any lightning fans say oh please take VL off our hands, we would pay you #3 overall to do it. Not gonna come from anybody who supports the Tampa Bay Lightning. I can guarantee you that. If I'm wrong I will gladly come on here and say I was wrong.

Fair enough, but I don't think anyone's saying that VL isn't a valuable part of the team or a fan favorite. Seems like we would be taking on the terrible contract so we could buy him out and you guys could re-sign him to a shorter deal, giving you more cap flexibility in the future. Lastly, I don't doubt that you guys have a promising team, just some bad contracts on the books that prevents flexibility.

Aim high and go for 3rd.

Not sure MLSE would even approve DPs contract just to move up 6 spots.

No shot, DP's contract would cost them a lot more to unload unless they straight up gave us the pick without ours going back.

bonjovi0308

Jan 26, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Either we trade for Vinny or Dipietro to buy them out, there is no way we will throw in our 21st pick too, unless some good young assets are coming in our way. Otherwise no deal because we give up buyout money too. Buyout Vinny only to let him resign with the Lightning is a BIG favor and could possibly pissed off other GMs in the league.

So assuming buyout, maybe something along the line of

Vinny + 3rd overall pick for Liles + 3rd round pick 2014 + 4th round pick 2013

Dipietro + 15th overall pick + a very good young player/prospect for Grabo + Komi (expiring) + 4th round pick 2013 + a mid level player(Gunner, Kulemin, Frattin etc)

If we manage to have two 1st round picks and a 2nd round pick in 2013, the future will be very bright for the Leafs

Last edited:

DjD4GGR

Jun 15, 2010
Gatineau, Quebec
Why dont we keep Lecavalier for a year since we can still use the buyout next offseason. Like that Lecavalier would benefit from a change of scenery and who knows maybe he refind his magic touch he had back in the days. How bout something like this :

Mikhail Grabovski 5.5M
John-Michael Liles 3.875M
Mike Komisarek 3.575M
3rd Round Pick in 2013

for

Vincent Lecavalier 7.727M
Slater Koekkoek 1.475M
3rd Overall Pick (Jonathan Drouin)

Resign Bozak 4yr deal 4.5Mper
Sign David Clarkson 4yr deal 4.5Mper
Sign Douglas Murray 3yr deal worth 3.25Mper
Sign Maxim Lapierre 2yr deal worth 1.1Mper
Sign Raffi Torres 1yr deal worth 1M
Sign Dan Ellis 1yr 900K
Sign Paul Ranger 1yr 1.5M

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Frattin
Kulemin - Lecavalier - Clarkson
Torres - McClement - Lapierre
Orr, Broll, Colborne, Ashton

Phaneuf - Gunnarsson
Gardiner - Murray/Ranger
Fraser/Ranger/Murray - Franson

Reimer
Ellis

Not sure if we would have enough capspace but we should be fine :p

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Why dont we keep Lecavalier for a year since we can still use the buyout next offseason. Like that Lecavalier would benefit from a change of scenery and who knows maybe he refind his magic touch he had back in the days. How bout something like this :

Mikhail Grabovski 5.5M
Mike Komisarek 3.575M
3rd Round Pick in 2013

for

Slater Koekkoek 1.475M

Sign Dan Ellis 1yr 900K

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Frattin

Phaneuf - Gunnarsson
Gardiner - Murray/Ranger

Reimer
Ellis

Why over pay for all these players when we already have players in the organization who can fill most of these rolls via development.

Sluck13

May 25, 2010

Mikhail Grabovski 5.5M
Mike Komisarek 3.575M
3rd Round Pick in 2013

for

Slater Koekkoek 1.475M

Sign Dan Ellis 1yr 900K

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Frattin

Phaneuf - Gunnarsson
Gardiner - Murray/Ranger

Reimer
Ellis

The only reason for Tampa to trade Lecavalier is for a cap dump so why would they take on 12 mil in cap

bigempty

Jun 22, 2010
Toronto
If there's any truth to this rumour, MLSE would be foolish to not take this deal and pay the 2.1+ mil for 14 years for a decent shot at a future franchise player at the #3 spot :D

APV

Sep 28, 2009
lol 12 pages of discussion about a rumour that is probably (definitely) not true...let's face it, the rumour came from hockeybuzz...:help:

why in gods name does tampa trade a potential franchise player/superstar for 2 mid level roster players + picks? even if it is freeing up a ton of cash I never see this happening.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton

Mikhail Grabovski 5.5M
Mike Komisarek 3.575M
3rd Round Pick in 2013

for

Slater Koekkoek 1.475M

Sign Dan Ellis 1yr 900K

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Frattin

Phaneuf - Gunnarsson
Gardiner - Murray/Ranger

Reimer
Ellis

So what's in it for Tampa? The reason to deal Vinny is they're losing money so in turn of us taking Vinny they take our 3 worst contracts and still give us a top 3 pick?

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
This would be a wonderful move by the leafs.

TB has no money and no cap room, we help Yzerman. We give him two players with low cap hits, our first rounder and other picks.
We use a buy out on Vinny, then sign him for far less money. He can play for us in place of Bozak who is now free to go to another team.
We use the third overall on another center who will be nhl ready the time Vinny is too old to center our first or second lines.

By 2015-16 We will have a Kadri-Barkov (or whoever else) one-two punch.

I hope this rumor has legs!
We'd give up 2 prospects, our first rounder and more?...we empty the cupboard and we'll be right back where we started 4-5 years ago.No thanks.

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
You guys are right, turns out you cant amnesty then re sign.
I was hoping this was a move that would lead to Bozak leaving town.... rats.
I'd like to re-sign Bozak @ 3.5 /yr , trade Grabovski hopefully for a 2nd rounder this year, not because I don't like him but his inflated contract is a barometer for Bozak and Kadri and the team actually. Then go with Kadri, Bozak, McClement and Colburne. pick up a decent FA defenceman or two and/or a more physical winger or two,and draft well with our 1st and 2 seconds (Grabovski trade) and continue the rebuild.We aren't deep enough yet for multiple player/prospect trades.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Either we trade for Vinny or Dipietro to buy them out, there is no way we will throw in our 21st pick too, unless some good young assets are coming in our way. Otherwise no deal because we give up buyout money too. Buyout Vinny only to let him resign with the Lightning is a BIG favor and could possibly pissed off other GMs in the league.

So assuming buyout, maybe something along the line of

Vinny + 3rd overall pick for Liles + 3rd round pick 2014 + 4th round pick 2013

Dipietro + 15th overall pick + a very good young player/prospect for Grabo + Komi (expiring) + 4th round pick 2013 + a mid level player(Gunner, Kulemin, Frattin etc)

If we manage to have two 1st round picks and a 2nd round pick in 2013, the future will be very bright for the Leafs

I'm of similar mind in thinking that if Leafs are contemplating using a compliance buyout on someone else's mistake, that they in turn include one of their own compliance candidates going the the other way.

This happened similarly in the Lombardi/Franson deal for Brett Lebda, Robert Slaney & 4th round pick. Lombardi was too expensive for Nashville to buyout so they traded him with Franson to dump his $7 mil contract on the Leafs, they in turn bought out Lebda immediately at a much lower cost. Leafs later eating most of Lombardi's salary before trading him.

This deal is similar in nature only on a grander scale.

So Vinny (-$30 value buyout) + 3rd overall = JM Liles (-$3.8 mil X 3) + ???

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Why stop there, MLSE should just buy the whole tampa franchise and fleece the hell out of it then sell it back :)

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto

This deal is unlikely but you have to understand that hockey is a business. Of course no fan would support this .. It would be awful

But at the end of the day its up to the owners if they want to stop bleeding cash.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
This deal is unlikely but you have to understand that hockey is a business. Of course no fan would support this .. It would be awful

But at the end of the day its up to the owners if they want to stop bleeding cash.

We will most likely buyout other options besides VL and hold onto 3. I know what you guys are saying. We will probably buyout Malone, trade Purcell, Brewer. That's some money there. This is a rebuilding team at the moment. We aren't contending. We don't have to rid VL right now. It's not the ML who have to compete every season or your on the hot seat. We're building something special down here and have so many young players joining their HC who is finally getting their shot at NHL. Probably a couple years late. We won't be getting rid of our captain at least this season, and were definitely not missing out in drafting one of the studs at 3. TBs best days are down the road. We're patient fans at the moment because we ses the talent growing down here to go with Stamkos. If we see it you better believe our owner and GM sees it too.

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
If we buy out Vinny, then Tampa can resign him to a cheaper deal because it is the Leafs who are buying him out. Thats the only reason I see Tampa doing this.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Vinik was rumoured to be having financial problems in the banking industry where he made his fortune.

I could see Nonis aiming for the 3rd overall but if Tampa truly is looking to dump Vinny I could see them more inclined to try and give up assets like Namestnikov, Koekkeok, Panik, next year 1st.

Another thing I'm wondering about is Ohlund whose owed 6.75 million over the next 3 years. He won't be playing due to injuries but does anybody know if his contract is paid out by insurance or by the team? Nobody seemed to know that Lombardi had an uninsurable contract until he got traded to us and we got Franson as a result.

Ohlund wouldn't count against our cap because of the LTIR rule.

Beleafer4

Apr 4, 2010
Vinik was rumoured to be having financial problems in the banking industry where he made his fortune.

I could see Nonis aiming for the 3rd overall but if Tampa truly is looking to dump Vinny I could see them more inclined to try and give up assets like Namestnikov, Koekkeok, Panik, next year 1st.

Another thing I'm wondering about is Ohlund whose owed 6.75 million over the next 3 years. He won't be playing due to injuries but does anybody know if his contract is paid out by insurance or by the team? Nobody seemed to know that Lombardi had an uninsurable contract until he got traded to us and we got Franson as a result.

Ohlund wouldn't count against our cap because of the LTIR rule.

I would try to get him, hes nhl ready and I like his upside.

edit. The lecav trade will never happen, but even if they didnt give up the third overall, I would still do it for Panik + 2nd +3rd. Hes streaky but very talented and I feel like he could potentially explode if played with lupul and kadri. A healthy and heavy hitter (38 hits in 25 games) with nice size (6'2 215 pounds) and likes to drop the gloves. Hes also notorious for picking up his game in the 3rd period and OT where he had a few playoff OT goals in the last year alone. First line skill. Nonis get this *****, tampa is probably one of the deepest teams in terms of forward prospects and I am sure we could make a good hockey trade!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille