Prospect Info: Leafs pick #68 - Martins Dzierkals (F) HK Riga MHL 5'11" 169lbs

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
This kid is probably the most intriguing draft pick of this year for me.

Not far off of Guryanov's production in the MHL this year. Was Latvia's leading scorer at the WJU18 this year as well, posting the 7th best PPG behind Matthews, Bracco, Barzal, Tkachuk, Laine, and Roslovic.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
This kid is probably the most intriguing draft pick of this year for me.

Not far off of Guryanov's production in the MHL this year. Was Latvia's leading scorer at the WJU18 this year as well, posting the 7th best PPG behind Matthews, Bracco, Barzal, Tkachuk, Laine, and Roslovic.

He's certainly one to keep an eye on. He'll need to add good weight, and adjust to a new lifestyle and culture, so we shouldn't expect the world off the hop, but plenty of potential here.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Love the skill and the upside on this kid. Agree that he has been buried in anonymity and has played against poor competition most of his life, which makes this season all the more intriguing. I think he is just coming into the realization how big a deal this is. He was amazed at the details and learning that goes into the prospect camp, I think a read a quote that he didn't know much about Toronto before then he heard how devoted the fanbase can get, he got excited. Bottom line is the next few years will be a huge learning curve in a new world. Patience is the key.

Regsauceleafs

Jun 13, 2015
Dzierkals finished with a goal and an assist with a +2 in his first pre season game last night. Solid showing from the rookie, hoping he can have a big year offensively

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Dzierkals finished with a goal and an assist with a +2 in his first pre season game last night. Solid showing from the rookie, hoping he can have a big year offensively

Playing in the Q chances are good he'll succeed offensively. He should flourish in such a flashy offensive league.

Latgale_fan

Apr 13, 2007
Riga
Love the skill and the upside on this kid. Agree that he has been buried in anonymity and has played against poor competition most of his life, which makes this season all the more intriguing. I think he is just coming into the realization how big a deal this is. He was amazed at the details and learning that goes into the prospect camp, I think a read a quote that he didn't know much about Toronto before then he heard how devoted the fanbase can get, he got excited. Bottom line is the next few years will be a huge learning curve in a new world. Patience is the key.
He's played against poor competition even by Latvia's standards, because he is also sort of unique even for Latvian players. Most Latvian youth, when they reach 12-13 years, are collected into ''super-teams'' from their local clubs so they can go and play in Russia or other international leagues to have better competition. This is a big issue in Latvian hockey and there is always a discussion, is it better to completely destroy Latvian youth system and collect these players in ''select'' teams to have better competition, or ban Latvian youth clubs from playing in foreign junior leagues (not MHL, but younger ages) to keep Latvian youth leagues at better level. This is a real issue in Latvia, because in U10 level we have 22 youth teams in the country but by the time they reach U18 level, there are 5!! teams left (plus 1-2 that play outside the country). Small teams are robbed of their talents and those who are not ''stars'' at 12-13 already, are basically consigned to play in a weak competition. Some say this harms Latvian hockey, others say that if better players will not have better competition, that will harm our hockey even more

Dzierkals was one of those who stayed at the local club and did not join a foreign-bound team, so that can also show something about his motivation, that even in weak competition he managed to grow into arguably Latvia's top 1997 talent. You should not really look at his Latvian U18 or U20 league numbers, cause the leagues are really *****. Even Latvian men's league is not much better than MHL (Russian major junior), I would even say bottom teams are much worse and the top three are probably a bit better but not much.

What matters though is his WJC U18 stats (best ever for Latvian player) and MHL stats (best ever for Latvian of his age). He was 5th in the whole MHL by ppg last year (in front of him only first rounder Guryanov and three midgets 5'9'' and 150 or so lbs) in U18 category and all Russian top talent plays there, along with neighboring ex Soviet countries that play hockey. Judging by stats of various players who played there and later transferred to CHL leagues and the fact that the league allows a bit older players than CHL, the level is comparable to CHL. Every Latvian that I know has improved upon his MHL stats next year in CHL, being older and more experienced, so I hope Dzierkals follows the pattern.

Latvians who moved from MHL to CHL:

Roberts Lipsbergs
MHL 11/12 58 14+14
WHL 12/13 64 30+28

Nikita Jevpalovs
MHL 11/12 58 8+13
QMJHL 12/13 60 18+21

Georgs Golovkovs
MHL 12/13 57 9+15
QMJHL 13/14 62 17+24

Rihards Bukarts
MHL 12/13 62 18+17
WHL 13/14 65 28+26

The only thing is that Dzierkals was in the MHL only for half a season, so perhaps his production would not be as high the whole season, or perhaps it would be. But I really expect that at least point per game would be his numbers, with potential of more, just seeing the past trends. The fact is that even in Latvia he was kind of in a shade, as people had talked way more about Rudolfs Balcers taken in the 5th round by San Jose as a top player from this year.

Last edited:

leafers

Oct 2, 2006
He's played against poor competition even by Latvia's standards, because he is also sort of unique even for Latvian players. Most Latvian youth, when they reach 12-13 years, are collected into ''super-teams'' from their local clubs so they can go and play in Russia or other international leagues to have better competition. This is a big issue in Latvian hockey and there is always a discussion, is it better to completely destroy Latvian youth system and collect these players in ''select'' teams to have better competition, or ban Latvian youth clubs from playing in foreign junior leagues (not MHL, but younger ages) to keep Latvian youth leagues at better level. This is a real issue in Latvia, because in U10 level we have 22 youth teams in the country but by the time they reach U18 level, there are 5!! teams left (plus 1-2 that play outside the country). Small teams are robbed of their talents and those who are not ''stars'' at 12-13 already, are basically consigned to play in a weak competition. Some say this harms Latvian hockey, others say that if better players will not have better competition, that will harm our hockey even more

Dzierkals was one of those who stayed at the local club and did not join a foreign-bound team, so that can also show something about his motivation, that even in weak competition he managed to grow into arguably Latvia's top 1997 talent. You should not really look at his Latvian U18 or U20 league numbers, cause the leagues are really *****. Even Latvian men's league is not much better than MHL (Russian major junior), I would even say bottom teams are much worse and the top three are probably a bit better but not much.

What matters though is his WJC U18 stats (best ever for Latvian player) and MHL stats (best ever for Latvian of his age). He was 5th in the whole MHL by ppg last year (in front of him only first rounder Guryanov and three midgets 5'9'' and 150 or so lbs) in U18 category and all Russian top talent plays there, along with neighboring ex Soviet countries that play hockey. Judging by stats of various players who played there and later transferred to CHL leagues and the fact that the league allows a bit older players than CHL, the level is comparable to CHL. Every Latvian that I know has improved upon his MHL stats next year in CHL, being older and more experienced, so I hope Dzierkals follows the pattern.

Roberts Lipsbergs
MHL 11/12 58 14+14
WHL 12/13 64 30+28

Nikita Jevpalovs
MHL 11/12 58 8+13
QMJHL 12/13 60 18+21

Georgs Golovkovs
MHL 12/13 57 9+15
QMJHL 13/14 62 17+24

Rihards Bukarts
MHL 12/13 62 18+17
WHL 13/14 65 28+26

The only thing is that Dzierkals was in the MHL only for half a season, so perhaps his production would not be as high the whole season, or perhaps it would be. But I really expect that at least point per game would be his numbers, with potential of more, just seeing the past trends. The fact is that even in Latvia he was kind of in a shade, as people had talked way more about Rudolfs Balcers taken in the 5th round by San Jose as a top player from this year.

Good stuff, thanks for posting.

TheOtherSide

Sep 8, 2008
Ontario

Roberts Lipsbergs
MHL 11/12 58 14+14
WHL 12/13 64 30+28

Nikita Jevpalovs
MHL 11/12 58 8+13
QMJHL 12/13 60 18+21

Georgs Golovkovs
MHL 12/13 57 9+15
QMJHL 13/14 62 17+24

Rihards Bukarts
MHL 12/13 62 18+17
WHL 13/14 65 28+26

Great insight! Thanks for sharing.

Definitely a guy to keep an eye on this year

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Kristians Pelss was really doing well - tragedy for Latvia... I hope Dzeirkals becomes a national icon and an NHL star.

2011-12 Edmonton Oil Kings WHL 63 28 22 50

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
All of his points from the U-18

Top 10 in scoring, despite playing 1 less game than all the players ahead of him. Also #7 in points per-game at the tournament.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
All of his points from the U-18

Top 10 in scoring, despite playing 1 less game than all the players ahead of him. Also #7 in points per-game at the tournament.

Just seemed to make the right play.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Thanks to Latgale fan for the great insight, much appreciated. Unfortunately for this Latvian-Canadian, I'll be relegated to watching his highlight reels and clips posted here, until he makes the big club. From the description of his path here...he is a very motivated player with a fire in his belly. Guys like that who have high end skill are the ones that often make it.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
Watching Quebec vs Rouyn-Noranda (Tima vs Dzierkals)

Missed the first period (3-1) so all I've seen that's noteworthy is Dzierkals was penalized for charging. It was just his aggressive nature. On the plus side, he really hit the guy hard despite his undersized frame.

feeel10

Sep 8, 2010
Both Timashov and Dzierkals have 1 goal and an assist in the first 40 minutes.

Wished I knew they were playing tonight! (I'm in Quebec)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad