Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Position: Left Wing Shoots: Left
Height: 5' 11" Weight: 169
Born: April 4, 1997
Born in: Latvia
Drafted: 2015: TOR (3rd Round / 68th Overall)

http://www.defendingbigd.com/2015/6...s-stars-target-garland-caleb-jones-mangiapane

LW Martins Dzierkals - NR by NHL Central Scouting, NR by Future Considerations

Arguably the most undeservedly overlooked player available for this draft, Dzierkals is totally under the radar but still has real potential. He's small and skinny, but has more than enough offensive tools to produce points. Was excellent for Latvia at the U18s, with nine points in six games, and also had a very strong season in Russia's top junior league, the MHL. Has already played a lot internationally, and being from a smaller hockey nation like Latvia means that he has a very good chance of playing in more international tournaments in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:

CBA

Oct 18, 2009
Toronto
From ISS:

Dzierkals is an incredibly quick and energetic forward who plays the game at an unmatched tempo. He has a dynamic, electric skill-set that makes him incredibly tough to contain as a defender. Never stops moving his feet and can burn most defenders on the rush as he cuts down the wing. Quick stick and slick puckhandler gives him versatility to beat defenders down the middle. Size is a big question mark standing at 5’10, but continue to add lower body strength in order to protect the puck in tough situations at the next level. We was a force this season with Riga in the MHL and representing Latvia at the U18s and U20s.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
My summary of readings:

"Small centre, skilled fast and dynamic, plays with passion and energy, beats defenders off the rush, with speed to the outside, and shiftiness to the inside, competes, the kind of player you like to cheer for, small and not strong, put up excellent numbers at U18 world championships playing for overmatched Latvia."

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
From ISS:

Dzierkals is an incredibly quick and energetic forward who plays the game at an unmatched tempo. He has a dynamic, electric skill-set that makes him incredibly tough to contain as a defender. Never stops moving his feet and can burn most defenders on the rush as he cuts down the wing. Quick stick and slick puckhandler gives him versatility to beat defenders down the middle. Size is a big question mark standing at 5’10, but continue to add lower body strength in order to protect the puck in tough situations at the next level. We was a force this season with Riga in the MHL and representing Latvia at the U18s and U20s.

That explains the pick. That kind of scouting report is pretty exciting.

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
From ISS:

O_O wow...

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
_v8c4396.jpg

2014-11-02_dzier.jpg

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
Sounds intriguing, but can't believe we couldn't have gotten him in later rounds.

Reminds of the Jamie Devane pick... someone nobody heard of taken high in the 3rd.

carko32

May 14, 2014
Slovenia
I feel like Leafs could have taken this guy with a 5th round...

I have the same feeling. But it doesn't matter, we have him and hopefully he'll be able to play in NHL in few years, he does seem with high upside, even though he was hidden far away in Russia.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Just watched a couple game highlights of this kid....

damn can he score

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Sounds intriguing, but can't believe we couldn't have gotten him in later rounds.

Reminds of the Jamie Devane pick... someone nobody heard of taken high in the 3rd.

NHL scouts certainly know about him. At this point, I'm not sure there are any reaches anymore. Take your guy, no matter the pick.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Just watched a couple game highlights of this kid....

damn can he score

People want high risk and high reward, this is it. Plenty of skill in this kid from the sound of things.

But of course, people will cry about size and because they don't know him.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I like the pick.

He came up in some of the "sleepers" threads on the prospect board a few times. Had a very good u-18.

Very good numbers in the MHL for his age as well.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
Pretty much the only thing I know about him is that he was talked about as potentially coming over to NA in the CHL import draft this year. Apparently he had a very good time at the WJC-u18 tourney though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad