Sportsnet: Leafs meeting with DeKeyser [Signs with DET]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Bob Duff ‏@asktheduffer

Start worrying #redwings fans - Dan DeKeyser sitting in Air Canada Centre press box next to #leafs GM Dave Nonis.

Pierre Gotye

Mar 17, 2009
McKinney, TX
If you look strictly at point averages, Bozak is the equivalent of an 8th overall selection.

Not sure how you can complain about that?

He plays with Phil Kessel a 5th overall pick, consistent 30 goal scorer, 60-70 point threat and JVR (a likely 20-30 guy at his peak), a 2nd overall pick...or sometimes Lupul a 7th overall pick(and 60 point player last season).

Knowing that data, Bozak's numbers should be better than they are. They are just really average when you compare him to other 1C's around the league.

One horse does not make a field, but Bozak is barely even a pony.

mikebel111*

Bob Duff ‏@asktheduffer

Start worrying #redwings fans - Dan DeKeyser sitting in Air Canada Centre press box next to #leafs GM Dave Nonis.

there might be a chance
wouldn't he just leave after we did our presentation or something
we might have chance to get him:)

Pierre Gotye

Mar 17, 2009
McKinney, TX
Bob Duff ‏@asktheduffer

No idea why he would even entertain coming to the Leafs. Him cracking the roster is going to be difficult in the next two coming years.

Even with the inevitability of subtracting Liles and Komisarek from the roster, and possibly scrubbing Kostka...he'll still have to compete with Blacker, Finn, Percy, and Rielly. Nilsson is now making noise as well. Not exactly the easiest odds for him to overcome if he wants a quick and easy entry into the show.

If I were him, I'd look at Dallas, Colorado, Edmonton, NYI, the Florida teams, Philly...places like that where he could more easily earn his ice time faster.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
If this guy signs in Toronto, the deciding factor will be playing his AHL time in Toronto rather than Grand Rapids or another small city.

Not expecting anything though.

Last edited:

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585
Reasons to sign with the Leafs:

The current #1 C and tonight's starting goalie were both college FAs. No doubt they will both be talking to DeKeyser on behalf of the Leafs.

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
Reasons to sign with the Leafs:

The current #1 C and tonight's starting goalie were both college FAs. No doubt they will both be talking to DeKeyser on behalf of the Leafs.

Great point. Nothing says "this franchise will set you up to make the show" like an actual representation like that.

GenericFan2*

Would love to have a young, nasty, TWD on this team; not something we have too much of in our pipeline.

Fully expecting him to sign in Detroit, though.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Honestly, I've only heard his name in passing as I don't follow college hockey. Free wallet's a free wallet though.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Great point. Nothing says "this franchise will set you up to make the show" like an actual representation like that.

I'm re-reading my last post and it sounds a little sarcastic, but I'm dead serious.

Good thing you clarified, I was skeptical when I read it.

My whole mindset with this guy is if we sign him, great! If not, oh well, no big deal.

It is nice though that for the past few years the Leafs have been in serious contention for top college UFA's.

false bobo

Dec 6, 2011
He plays with Phil Kessel a 5th overall pick, consistent 30 goal scorer, 60-70 point threat and JVR (a likely 20-30 guy at his peak), a 2nd overall pick...or sometimes Lupul a 7th overall pick(and 60 point player last season).

Knowing that data, Bozak's numbers should be better than they are. They are just really average when you compare him to other 1C's around the league.

One horse does not make a field, but Bozak is barely even a pony.

Boy are you missing the point..

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Really though, we have as good of a pitch as anyone, outside of Detroit, who he grew up a fan of.

We have college free agents playing important roles on the big club. We have an AHL farm system that gets used quite often for call-ups. We can prove that by showing the progression of guys like Kostka, Kadri, Frattin, Holzer (he got time in the NHL, despite his struggles at the end of his time), etc.

We may not land him, but something tells me we'll give him a good bit to consider.

false bobo

Dec 6, 2011
No, you are. Bozak's not a self made man, Kessel's the one doing the heavy lifting.

Aside from faceoffs and shootouts, what else does Bozak do that really makes line #1 go?

The point im referring to is that Bozak was a free asset, just like DeKeyser will be for whomever he signs with. You seem to be opposed to acquring free assets.

But I forgot, the Leafs have too many defensemen, right? If DeKeyser for some reason decides to sign with us, we should tell him to take a hike, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad