Sportsnet: Leafs meeting with DeKeyser [Signs with DET]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Honestly - despite the schizo behaviour of the fans and the media, I'd think this would be a really good place to play, and we do give ample oppertunties to make the big show.

Plus. until he makes a mistake, he'd be seen as the second coming. that's always good.

jughead42*

Yeah baby, let's pick up another free wallet. It could have an expired condom and some coupons for Burger King in it, or it might be full of cash. You never know unless you pick it up, make it happen Nonis.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Bob McKenzie Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 20m

College UFA D Dan DeKeyser will continue meet teams/field offers in TOR today/tomorrow. Decision possible either later Thursday or Friday.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Bob McKenzie Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 20m

College UFA D Dan DeKeyser will continue meet teams/field offers in TOR today/tomorrow. Decision possible either later Thursday or Friday.

I hope Nonis promised him to play in the NHL immediately. As long as he is not given a NT or NM clause, then, we can send him down to the AHL if he proves he's not ready for the NHL.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I hope Nonis promised him to play in the NHL immediately. As long as he is not given a NT or NM clause, then, we can send him down to the AHL if he proves he's not ready for the NHL.

You can't promise those things. DeKeyser and his agent aren't idiots either. They know that a team promising those things likely aren't telling the whole truth.

If all he wants is a promise he'll play at the NHL right away, I don't want him. You can't force a player in the NHL. If he shows he can play, then fine, but if he needs to play in the AHL for a few months, or another year, then he has to take the responsbility that he needs to get better.

Also, DeKeyser can only sign an ELC, so he can't have a NTC or NMC.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I think the best thing was for him to see this game. That way all he has to do is think "I can beat one of these guys" :laugh:.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
You can't promise those things. DeKeyser and his agent aren't idiots either. They know that a team promising those things likely aren't telling the whole truth.

If all he wants is a promise he'll play at the NHL right away, I don't want him. You can't force a player in the NHL. If he shows he can play, then fine, but if he needs to play in the AHL for a few months, or another year, then he has to take the responsbility that he needs to get better.

Also, DeKeyser can only sign an ELC, so he can't have a NTC or NMC.

Are you sure about College grads only signing ELC contracts?

And, Nonis can promise him to play at the NHL level to see if he's NHL ready. I think it has been done many times in the past with other college free agents. Just too lazy to do some research to find examples.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

And, Nonis can promise him to play at the NHL level to see if he's NHL ready. I think it has been done many times in the past with other college free agents. Just too lazy to do some research to find examples.

I am positive.

I don't think Nonis or Burke have ever promised anything. Why? Because it's impossible to know how DeKeyser (or whoever they signed from College) will translate his game.

Obviously they can tell him they will give him a chance to see if he can play a regular NHL shift right away but rarely ever has a UFA College prospect made the jump from college to the NHL and didn't look out of place.

My point is that you want him to earn a spot. Giving him a roster spot right in the playoff stretch without being cautious would be suicide. You think Kostka or Gardiner are struggling now, imagine a guy that hasn't played a pro game in his life.

I'd love to see him sign with the Leafs as much as the next guy but he won't be promised a roster spot. He'll need to earn it. If he's willing to earn it, the Marlies are a great environment to start your pro career. In a great city and just down the road from the NHL if his chance presents itself.

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Yes it true about entry level contracts as per CBA terms of players under age 25 signing their first NHL contracts.

NMC/NTC are only available options to players who have reached true UFA status via years of service or unrestricted age (7 years or age 27 as per previous CBA, which might have increased by 1 year as per new one).

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
I am positive.

I don't think Nonis or Burke have ever promised anything. Why? Because it's impossible to know how DeKeyser (or whoever they signed from College) will translate his game.

Obviously they can tell him they will give him a chance to see if he can play a regular NHL shift right away but rarely ever has a UFA College prospect made the jump from college to the NHL and didn't look out of place.

My point is that you want him to earn a spot. Giving him a roster spot right in the playoff stretch without being cautious would be suicide. You think Kostka or Gardiner are struggling now, imagine a guy that hasn't played a pro game in his life.

I'd love to see him sign with the Leafs as much as the next guy but he won't be promised a roster spot. He'll need to earn it. If he's willing to earn it, the Marlies are a great environment to start your pro career. In a great city and just down the road from the NHL if his chance presents itself.

Spot on summary! I think any mature and well adjusted player will accept and understand these parameters. As a hockey market, Toronto is unbeatable, but a player does require special traits to thrive here. We can only hope that DeKeyser and his advisors will see a good fit with the Leafs.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
All he should do after watching last nights game is notice the #1 centre, and the starting goalie ...both signings like himself.
...not to mention, look at Komi in the minors and all the youngsters up playing.
Leafs will give him the chance to play, and no Vet will stand in his way if he can outplay them.

Leaftors

Jul 21, 2011
Welland, Ontario
All he should do after watching last nights game is notice the #1 centre, and the starting goalie ...both signings like himself.
...not to mention, look at Komi in the minors and all the youngsters up playing.
Leafs will give him the chance to play, and no Vet will stand in his way if he can outplay them.

this

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

The problem is that...once you feel wanted you take it for granted and want to be in the lineup right away.

I highly doubt he signs with the Leafs when there are many teams that can give him a spot on the lineup the day he signs. You don't think a team like Edmonton would kick a pylon to the curb and give him a spot?

I've never seen him play but a free wallet is a free wallet.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
The problem is that...once you feel wanted you take it for granted and want to be in the lineup right away.

I highly doubt he signs with the Leafs when there are many teams that can give him a spot on the lineup the day he signs. You don't think a team like Edmonton would kick a pylon to the curb and give him a spot?

I've never seen him play but a free wallet is a free wallet.

...yea, but, then you would have to live in Edmonton. :p:

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
...yea, but, then you would have to live in Edmonton. :p:

Only has to live there 7 months max. No playoffs means you can move to and live any place good for golfing!

Hey, that means TO might be a good place to play also. :laugh:

Hopefully, that changes this year!

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
...but, but... they have a dynasty in the making in 2 year--- err 3 year--- ahh nah, maybe 5 years.

That dynasty in the making means there will be a long line of players in front of him needing to get pain larger contracts. He might not be able to outlast (outwit) the players in front of him on the depth chart needing to be paid.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
...but, but... they have a dynasty in the making in 2 year--- err 3 year--- ahh nah, maybe 5 years.

Justin Schultz should be kicking himself for going to Deadmonton.

And DeKeyser should have the foresight to see that the Leafs are on the rise and the Wings are headed in the opposite direction. Their homegrown defensemen like Ericsson, Kindl and Smith haven't exactly been good...

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton

And DeKeyser should have the foresight to see that the Leafs are on the rise and the Wings are headed in the opposite direction. Their homegrown defensemen like Ericsson, Kindl and Smith haven't exactly been good...

:laugh:

true but i still don't like our chances.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011

How do ya figure? Goals against: Leafs: 97, Detroit: 83.

Pierre Gotye

Mar 17, 2009
McKinney, TX

Not really, he got a contract he wanted and still getting guaranteed ice-time(which he also wanted). Leafs didn't guarantee him time.

Just because Deadmonton isn't good right now, doesn't mean they can't or won't be in the future. They have a a great corps of young players to build around. Still missing a few pieces, but can only get better.

He still has to crack the lineup. He also has to surpass 6-7 capable NHLers, a couple of more who can play, but are now in the AHL, plus, bypass a former #5 overall draft pick, a #58 overall pick, a #35 overall pick, and a #25 overall pick.

Each of those defenseman aren't really similar to the other, and each brings a different skill-set to the table.

Red Wings are still the Red Wings. They have a history of developing talent like Lidstrom, and Kronwall.

The Leafs have had just as many hits and misses as the Red Wings have at drafting and developing defenseman. You can go back to Jeff Ware, Carlo Coliacovo, or in more recent times Stralman, Doherty, and Kronwall.

His path to the NHL, at least from what I can tell is easier with Detroit than it is with Toronto.

I don't really see the salivating factor over DeKeyser is anyways. He put up alright numbers, but not exactly eye-popping ones like Schultz did. Scored a grand total of 12 goals over the course of the three seasons he played at WMU. Including 2 this NCAA season.

Last edited:

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009

Edmonton is only 3 points out of a playoff spot though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2