Sportsnet: Leafs meeting with DeKeyser [Signs with DET]

Status
Not open for further replies.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
We have quite a few PMD and two way guys. A decent sized, mobile Defensive D, with a nasty edge and good at the PK would be somewhat unique in our prospect pool. That is about the best argument that could be made to him as to why to choose us.

That and a wheelbarrow full of money

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
Leafs can be like "look, 3/4 of our defence is made of AHL players. Play there for a bit and you're guaranteed to play in the bigs!"

But yeah, not expecting anything really.
This. Plus, hey, look Reimer just let it a softy! That's who you get to play in front of!

false bobo

Dec 6, 2011
Why not. Didn't think we'd have a chance at him, but time will tell.

Could be related to the fact that he's in Toronto anyway to meet with teams. Might as well entertain Nonis and come to the game.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
DeKeyser is the best player coming out of college hockey this year and if he's coming here, even for a look see, Nonis can offer him a spot on our D and a contract, fingers crossed on this one.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'll be sure to buy him some Sushi if I run into him.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
With Liles likely out a couple weeks, along with Holzer being not quite ready in the eyes of Carlyle, DeKeyser could have a chance at playing if he shows he can play.

The Leafs won't "give" him a spot. He'll have to earn it, just like with most teams that want to sign him.

Not many college players can make the jump straight to the NHL without showing glaring holes in their games. DeKeyser is probably no different.

I'm not sure if the Leafs are right for him but he would be part of a strong AHL squad with the chance at getting his feet wet in the NHL if he shows it. Leafs are not in dire need of defensive depth but could probably use another defenseman with untapped potential that is close to NHL ready.

I'm not expecting it but it would be nice if Nonis could attract a top UFA prospect. Burke was great in that department, let's hope his right hand man can do it.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
While I feel like there's no chance he goes to our team, it certainly doesn't hurt to meet with the guy.

Glad to hear we're making efforts towards the college scene.

Haha, maybe if it's a foregone conclusion he signs with the Wings, they should take the opportunity to give him fair warning about being division rivals: "Watch yo back!'

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
That maybe so but compared to other years, he'd be average from what I've heard.

Although it's not a banner year for college players, he is touted, as head and shoulders above all the ones turning pro

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=46947

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opinion/2013/03/the-nhl-prepares-for-us-college-free-agent-time.html

Dan DeKeyser

Third-year D, Western Michigan

Hometown: Clay Township, Mich.

The skinny: Many thought DeKeyser was going to sign with the Detroit Red Wings last year, but then he decided to return to school for another year ... He played youth hockey with Trevor Nill, son of Red Wings assistant general manager Jim Nill ... He'll have interest from 20 or more teams and, like Schultz did last year, DeKeyser will listen to all interested parties before he determines his best opportunity ... He has size, can move the puck and plays a safe, intelligent game.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
While I hold little stock as I think he will be a Wing it makes sense for him to meet with us we have a pretty good track record with kids from College/University scene. Bozak, Frattin, Gardiner and even Ben Scrivens. all four currently having spots on the big club.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
He'd obviously be an asset but I'm not holding my breath at all lol

Your right, I thought Schultz was lock last year but Edmonton got him and I would suspect the same will happen with Dekeyser, he will probably sign, where he has the best chance to play and fit in.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Your right, I thought Schultz was lock last year but Edmonton got him and I would suspect the same will happen with Dekeyser, he will probably sign, where he has the best chance to play and fit in.

As I stated at the start. I think it's with the wings. I'd prolly pop a vein if it's with the oilers though :laugh:

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
He plays a simple, defence first, stay-at-home game. DeKeyser is also highly mobile and a strong all-compass skater. He’s not flashy at the offensive end, but moves the puck well and gets it to the right spots by making good decisions. Efficiently gets the puck out of the zone with crisp outlets. He’s physical and wins the battles down low, keeps the crease clear, and plays with a bit of a nasty edge. He’s an outstanding penalty killer who blocks a ton of shots.

Copy and pasted from http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/20...ggressively-pursuing-free-agent-dan-dekeyser/

Red Line Report assessment of him.

RLR's assessment, while I agree with it, also has some holes in it too. So let me enlightened you all. Yes, I have seen DeKeyser play ALOT! I've closely watched and followed him since he arrived at WMU.

One important thing that the report fails to mention is how much DeKeyser's skating has improved since arriving at WMU nearly three years ago and the positive effect it has had in the way he plays his position. DeKeyser's more fluid in his strides, his foot speed is better and it has improved his agility. But where it has really made a difference is in his foot work. He moves his feet more efficiently, which allows him to breakout (for a lack of a better term) of and get better positioning in tight situations. One example of this is his play along the walls. Whether it's gaining puck possession or moving a player off the puck, his improved footwork allows him to be in the right place/position to make the best possible plays more often than not.

The report also fails to mention that DeKeyser was also on WMU's power play more often this season.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
very little interest in adding this guy, but hey, can't hurt.

kesleaf

Mar 3, 2011
Is he any different than Holzer?

Holzer:

Pylon.jpg

DeKeyser:

RachelLewis-CCHAChampionshipGame-Michigan-WMU-03172012-4.jpg

Can you discern the difference?

Hint: one of them is a hockey player!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad