Sportsnet: Leafs meeting with DeKeyser [Signs with DET]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Is there any chance we land this guy or no?

Sure why not, he sat with Nonis in the box, at the game the other night, Leafs and Panthers and I would hope Nonis, made a significant offer to him but He will likely sign, where he has the best chance of success and financial gain.

Doshy

Oct 7, 2007
Many feel there's too many things in play that work in favour of the Red Wings.

DeKeyser is Michigan-born, played hockey with the Western Michigan University, and his former coach is the head coach of the Grand Rapids Griffins.
Ah yeah, that could definitely happen.

Although we have a good track record of bringing these guys into the league and giving them ice time.

Who knows. It'd be cool to have him though.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006

DeKeyser is Michigan-born, played hockey with the Western Michigan University, and his former coach is the head coach of the Grand Rapids Griffins.

I'm not sure it's as important, as people have made it out to be, I would guess it may play into his decission, to some degree but you would have to ask, why he is meeting, with virtually every team in the league and listening to their pitches.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto

That stuff really doesn't mean all that much. Remember with Schultz? We had his defensive partner, the history of signing college FA, the GM who drafted him, blah, blah, blah.

I think we have as much of a shot as anyone

OpenNetSniper

Mar 27, 2013
That stuff really doesn't mean all that much. Remember with Schultz? We had his defensive partner, the history of signing college FA, the GM who drafted him, blah, blah, blah.

I think we have as much of a shot as anyone

Agreed. Never would've thought he'd play for the Oilers, as I was convinced he'd play for the Rangers/Leafs.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Babcock wanted Smith on the team full time last year but Holland said no. I still dont see how you can honestly bring Phaneuf into this but youre grasping at straws.

I'm just telling you how Ian White is still a Toronto development story that still benefits the organization, just like when you trade Brendan Smith to Calgary for Jay Bouwmeester, you can look at hi 7 years of development and limited NHL action as a success story.

I'm gonna end this because I think both teams are pretty good at developing dmen. But you keep saying Schenn as an example of being good at dmen.

Can you honestly say that if you were trying to sell Dekeyser on Toronto that you would say "Look at how Luke Schenn turned out, we know how to work with young dmen.. sign with us"?

Yeah, you should just leave the conversation. When you point at Ericsson, Smith and Kindl as an example of what your franchise has developed in the last 8 years, you're in no shape to compare with anybody else.

Penalty Kill Icing*

If not us, I am just hoping he doesn't go to divisional rival (which include Detroit, Tampa and Florida for all purposes).

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
If not us, I am just hoping he doesn't go to divisional rival (which include Detroit, Tampa and Florida for all purposes).

Why?

Dan Dekeyser is probably a dime a dozen player after everyone sees him play.

I don't care who gets him.

We're hyping a guy that is 23 years old and was never drafted...best case scenario is probably a top 4D.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Yes, not bothered either way. Just another potential depth guy really. Finn, Percy all have similar attributes at younger ages. Ranger, if he wants to sign, would be the one I would want as depth going into the playoffs right now.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Yes, not bothered either way. Just another potential depth guy really. Finn, Percy all have similar attributes at younger ages. Ranger, if he wants to sign, would be the one I would want as depth going into the playoffs right now.

Exactly.

If Paul Ranger says he wants to play in the NHL, he would sign with Toronto and be a much better player than whatever Dekeyser is.

I could care less who he signs with.

There is no point hyping up a guy that 99.9% of people have never seen... just because he's the top college UFA doesn't make him a good D.

Wasn't Da Costa highly sought after? He's an AHL'er at best.

With college free agents...guys like Bozak seem like the best case scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad