Sportsnet: Leafs - Martin & Soshnikov available, per Johnston

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Martin can actually be used in the 3rd pairing with a more offensive minded player. It actually is proven that he can perform in this situation when he was playing with Mitch. If any of you Couch ridden GMs want to go look at the games he played with Marner you will see he can actually play hockey quite well.

He is worth a 2nd and for sure can help some teams that need a little extra something.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Martin can actually be used in the 3rd pairing with a more offensive minded player. It actually is proven that he can perform in this situation when he was playing with Mitch. If any of you Couch ridden GMs want to go look at the games he played with Marner you will see he can actually play hockey quite well.

He is worth a 2nd and for sure can help some teams that need a little extra something.
martin isn't worth a 2nd. he's worth a 6th

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
martin isn't worth a 2nd. he's worth a 6th

Whatever we get is fine by me, he just doesn't fit our team period. He would fit some other teams and do well I think. I like the guy, really do. Good player wrong style for this team.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
For Sosh's own sake, I hope he does get traded. Good player but way down the depth chart in Toronto.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
For Sosh's own sake, I hope he does get traded. Good player but way down the depth chart in Toronto.

Would be nice to see Sosh playing somewhere. 3rd liner for sure but as everyone knows we have 50 3rd line wingers sitting around getting antsy.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Players like Martin, really have little to no value in the NHL today. Think about it, fighting is practically non-existent in hockey today. So what does he offer to a team. 2.5M per for a 4th line player that plays 7 mins a game, that are in and out of the line up has value? If you are a rival GM. You want something of value back from the Leafs to take that on. Rival GM's only do favours for other GM's if it is reciprocal. There are not many GM's like Lamoriello that value less skilled 4th line players at 2.5M that I know.
I posted this exact thing in another thread...so i agree. My point is that the Leafs won't be paying to move a 2.5 million dollar contract.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Wow...2.5 you say? You sure we only need to add a second? Might need to add our 1st+ to unload that albatross.:laugh:

Consider that you're responding to a poster who spent all summer praising Chiarelli, if you want some perspective on who he considers a good GM.

If there is no interest from other teams, Martin could even be sent to the AHL to take a little more than a million off his cap hit. Don't think any GM would offer up a 2nd round pick to remove $1.5 million in dead cap off their team.

Reactions: Liferleafer

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
If you're a thin forward team looking for a project Sosh would be about as good as it gets. He's only 5'11 but he plays like an absolute wrecking ball, just skates everywhere at full tilt with reckless abandon. Seriously fun dude to watch. He's got a wicked wrister too...that he's never in position to get off cleanly. He's got the tools though. Reminds me of Dick Panik in that sense. Given a real opportunity and with some luck he could bag 20g.

Reactions: uncleben85

Bruin4Life

Nov 6, 2006
I posted this in the bruins trade board.

Matt Martin (3 years left at 2.5)

For

Matt Beleskys (2 years at 3.8)
Frank Vatrano RFA

Matt beleskys gets another shot at being a viable winger. Takes Martin's old role.

Vatrano has a first line calibre shot and blazing speed. Likes the rough stuff and defends his team. His confidence is completely shot. Looks like there is no IQ. Has fallen out of favors with coaches due to doing too much and taking penalties in his limited ice time. I seriously think he could be easily a 30 goal scorer if he puts it together. Put him with Matthews or Nylander and watch out

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Consider that you're responding to a poster who spent all summer praising Chiarelli, if you want some perspective on who he considers a good GM.

If there is no interest from other teams, Martin could even be sent to the AHL to take a little more than a million off his cap hit. Don't think any GM would offer up a 2nd round pick to remove $1.5 million in dead cap off their team.

Martin's cap hit is 2.5M. At least get something right in your post.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg

So all he needs is an incredibly talented offensive winger to carry him? Good to know.

Let's be realistic here. He's not a terrible player. However, most teams would either have better options for their 3rd line, or they don't have guys like Marner on their 3rd line. It's very very likely that on any of the other 30 teams, he's a 4th line guy. With his contract, he'll be a hard sell. Not unmovable, not negative value, but I wouldn't expect more than a 5th or 6th round pick.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I think it would be funny if the Leafs got out of Martins contract and then turned around and signed Ryan Reaves or another similar player for cheaper as a UFA this summer.

Just seems like for better or worse, when he can, Babcock prefers to have that "element" at his disposal. I mean if you look at it glass half full, at least Martin is much more serviceable than some of the "fly swatters" Babcock insisted occupy NHL roster spots in the past, such as:

-Garrett Burnett in Anaheim
-Starting 06-07 with a completely healthy roster that included Brad Norton as an every game winger on the 4th line, while rookies Kopecky and Hudler rotated between the 4th line and healthy scratch every other game
-38/39YO Dallas Drake, Aaron Downey and eventually a 35/36YO Darren McCarty, who got a regular spot for most of the playoffs after having played only 4 NHL games in around a year and a half
-37/38YO Brad May
-The failed $1.8M/year Jordin Tootoo experiment (although, at that time Tootoo was probably on par with current Matt Martin)

So I guess it could be worse?

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com

For

Frank Vatrano RFA

Matt beleskys gets another shot at being a viable winger. Takes Martin's old role.

Vatrano has a first line calibre shot and blazing speed. Likes the rough stuff and defends his team. His confidence is completely shot. Looks like there is no IQ. Has fallen out of favors with coaches due to doing too much and taking penalties in his limited ice time. I seriously think he could be easily a 30 goal scorer if he puts it together. Put him with Matthews or Nylander and watch out

We'd be moving Martin to shed salary and/or open roster spots on the wings, this proposal does the opposite of that. We don't have spots in the lineup for project guys like Vatrano.

Reactions: Menzinger and 7even

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
i honestly think sosh could play on pretty much every team sans our cause of winger depth.
dude has legit speed,skill and shot.

Reminds me of panik before we traded him, both showed serious skill and ability to wow.
panik has gone to put up a 40 point season and has 20 on the year, i see the same ability/ceiling from sosh about 40-45 points.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I think it would be funny if the Leafs got out of Martins contract and then turned around and signed Ryan Reaves or another similar player for cheaper as a UFA this summer.

Just seems like when he can, Babcock prefers to have that "element" at his disposal. I mean if you look at it glass half full, at least Martin is much more serviceable than some of the "fly swatters" Babcock insisted occupy NHL roster spots in the past, such as:

-Garrett Burnett in Anaheim
-Starting 06-07 with a completely healthy roster that included Brad Norton as an every game winger on the 4th line, while rookies Kopecky and Hudler rotated between the 4th line and healthy scratch every other game
-38/39YO Dallas Drake, Aaron Downey and eventually a 35/36YO Darren McCarty, who got a regular spot for most of the playoffs after having played only 4 NHL games in around a year and a half
-37/38YO Brad May
-The failed $1.8M/year Jordin Tootoo experiment (although, at that time Tootoo was probably on par with current Matt Martin)

So I guess it could be worse?

It all depends if a team can afford a 4th liner at 2.5M in today's game. Will say this, if history has shown, if there is one GM in the NHL that would still value this element. It's Lamoriello. He also signed Ryane Crowe to a 4.9 x 5 year deal with the Devils also. I just don't see many of the more modern thinking GM's agreeing on paying a 4th line player that may be a healthy scratch on any given night that amount of money.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On

For

Frank Vatrano RFA

Unfortunately we have wingers coming out the wazoo, we really do not need a player back or even a prospect. A low pick is ideal. Adding salary at wing makes 0 sense for us.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I literally explained this in the previous sentence. If sent to the AHL, his cap hit would be slightly less than $1.5 million.

That's fine and dandy. But we are talking about a trade here. You really think a team is going to trade for Martin and send him to the minors? He's a 2.5M cap hit. This is all that matters. Either Leafs are retaining some salary or they will have to give something to a rival GM to sweeten the pot here for a GM to absorb that contract for a 4th line player that may or may not play.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
That's fine and dandy. But we are talking about a trade here. You really think a team is going to trade for Martin and send him to the minors?

What? I'm suggesting the Leafs can send him to the minors, if there's no interest from any other teams. It would be absurd to spend a 2nd round pick to clear his salary when he could potentially cost them less than $1.5 million on the cap if he were in the AHL.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
What? I'm suggesting the Leafs can send him to the minors, if there's no interest from any other teams. It would be absurd to spend a 2nd round pick to clear his salary when he could potentially cost them less than $1.5 million on the cap if he were in the AHL.

It would make more sense to retain salary and get something of value back wouldn't it not? If you are set on paying his salary anyway AHL or otherwise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad