Sportsnet: Leafs - Martin & Soshnikov available, per Johnston

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Reeves got a 1st last year and Martin is easily the better of the two. Not that I expect a GM will repeat Rutherford's mistakes, but players like Martin (guys who can fight and play a regular shift) are still valued by many teams in this league. The Leafs should be able to move him for a decent return without retention. Last year was tough for him, as tends to happen when a player is trying too hard to live up to his new contract, but his numbers this year have bounced back to where they were in New York. He's just being squeezed out by prospects graduating from the Marlies.

Soshnikov is more of a wildcard. There was reported interest earlier in the year when the Leafs were forced to call him up due to an out clause in his contract (he could have returned to Russia if kept in the AHL) but he hasn't looked good in the handful of games he's played this year and he can't stay healthy. He's looked good in the AHL, though, and has shown flashes of top 9 talent in his two years in North America. Teams that are rebuilding and have space would be wise to throw a late round pick at the Leafs and give him an extended run.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Reeves got a 1st last year and Martin is easily the better of the two. Not that I expect a GM will repeat Rutherford's mistakes, but players like Martin (guys who can fight and play a regular shift) are still valued by many teams in this league. The Leafs should be able to move him for a decent return without retention. Last year was tough for him, as tends to happen when a player is trying too hard to live up to his new contract, but his numbers this year have bounced back to where they were in New York. He's just being squeezed out by prospects graduating from the Marlies.

Soshnikov is more of a wildcard. There was reported interest earlier in the year when the Leafs were forced to call him up due to an out clause in his contract (he could have returned to Russia if kept in the AHL) and he hasn't looked good in the handful of games he's played this year. He's looked good in the AHL, though, and has shown flashes of top 9 talent in his two years in North America. Teams that are rebuilding and have space would be wise to throw a late round pick at the Leafs and give him an extended run.

Martin probably worth a 5th, Soshkinov is worth anywhere from a 6th to a conditional pick, aka a contract extension and Leafs get a 6th-7th.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
There's no way this was leaked, likely just speculation/deduction by Johnston

Even if you believe that Lou has made the Leafs leak-proof, there is the possibility that he has talked with other teams about Sosh and Martin and that the info came from those teams.

Reactions: go4hockey

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
sosh is defs a nhl foward, being apart of the leafs is tough as a a winger, doesnt help that sosh gets injured when he starts to get going. tough break for him, martin ..is still useful in some ways...
Im curious what he has done to prove he is an NHL forward besides physically play in the NHL

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Even if you believe that Lou has made the Leafs leak-proof, there is the possibility that he has talked with other teams about Sosh and Martin and that the info came from those teams.
This story seems based on the fact that Martin has been benched for something like three games in a row now. It is a lot of money to have sitting in the press box. Maybe Martin will be the next one sent to Robidas island.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Im curious what he has done to prove he is an NHL forward besides physically play in the NHL

Mostly been on the 4th line, he does a bit of everything. He has a great shot, good wheels, he will hit, he has PKed for us. He is not the best at using his linemates though, definitely more of a finisher. Value would be minimal though, 6th-conditional pick (he'd need to re-sign for the Leafs to get anything) is likely the return at this point. The Leafs have received inquiries earlier in the year according to Friedman. More wingers keep coming up in our system so we might have to do him a favor and get him in with a team that can play him more regularly.

Reactions: iSophagus

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Martin probably worth a 5th, Soshkinov is worth anywhere from a 6th to a conditional pick, aka a contract extension and Leafs get a 6th-7th.

I could see Martin getting 3rd, to be honest.

Sosh is definitely late-round pick value at this point. Too bad, because there's so much to like about his game. His wrister is just insane.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I could see Martin getting 3rd, to be honest.

Sosh is definitely late-round pick value at this point. Too bad, because there's so much to like about his game. His wrister is just insane.

You can color me shocked if Martin landed us a 3rd.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Martin, with what little money owed this year and 2 more years, at a 2 year term in an expensive (for his production), but not exorbitant (for his...'intangibles', ugh) deal, is worth probably an 80th-100th pick, but I would rather a boom or bust prospect...imagine we ship him back to the isles for Dal Colle? :naughty:

Sosh might become a good energy 3rd liner good for 30 points...but given his size and concussion history, I lack faith, to me he's a throw in.

Fhaquassho

Nov 19, 2017
Tbh if they were available and it leaked, they are no longer available and Lou will send them to robidas island before moving them. I thought sosh would be a decent nhler but wasn't the same after chara concussed him.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
If Soshnikov ends up on a team like Chicago or Los Angeles he will make the Leafs look like dummies for not finding a slot in the lineup.

That being said there really isn’t room. Soshnikov’s slot is held by Marleau and he has looked every bit the player he was touted to be. There’s no way in hell we’d keep him to replace Marleau and other prospects will be better options anyways.

Soshnikov could be worth a 1st IF they could get him enough ice time for a good sample size. He’s going to have a good career.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
If Soshnikov ends up on a team like Chicago or Los Angeles he will make the Leafs look like dummies for not finding a slot in the lineup.

That being said there really isn’t room. Soshnikov’s slot is held by Marleau and he has looked every bit the player he was touted to be. There’s no way in hell we’d keep him to replace Marleau and other prospects will be better options anyways.

Soshnikov could be worth a 1st IF they could get him enough ice time for a good sample size. He’s going to have a good career.

What the hell?

Reactions: LeafGrief

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Martin 2.5m
Marincin 1.350m
Fehr 2m
Polak 1m
That's alot of dead cap could be use

Players who are sent down get up to 1.05 of their cap taken off. So 2.1 of the Fehr and Marincin cap hits aren't there. They're only on the cap for 1.25 combined.

I'd also hardly call players on the roster and often playing dead cap. That's not really what dead cap is, but yes they are overpaid/useless. Though in Polak's case if he were gone someone would take his roster spot and use up most if not all of that 1 million anyway. Martin's could certainly be better allocated.

I'd give away Martin for free, though obvious see if they're someone willing to pay something instead. Sosh I think could be worth up to a 4th, but I'd take the best offer I could get the moment he's healthy. There's really no room on the roster for him without removing a deserving or better player(of the same position).

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
If Sosh would only take a late pick I'd hope Rutherford would be on that, or just throw him into a deal for Bozak.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Canucks may re-sign Gudbranson (a younger version of Polak) for 5x5 because of his toughness, and they need scoring. May be Martin & Soshnikov for some late-round picks

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
I could see Chiarelli drooling at the thought of adding Martin to play with McDavid.
As an Oiler fan, this thought terrified me at first, too, but there's no way Edmonton would add this much salary for a 4th liner with less cap space next year. At least I would hope so...

Canucks may re-sign Gudbranson (a younger version of Polak) for 5x5 because of his toughness, and they need scoring. May be Martin & Soshnikov for some late-round picks
Vancouver was my first thought for Martin, as well. Much was made in the media last week of Boeser getting boarded by Lewis and no Canucks coming to his defense. And Benning and Green have enough of that old-school, tough guy to stand up for his teammates thinking that I could see them feeling the same way.

If negotiations with Gudbranson don't go well, I could see them being a part of a deal for each other Martin+2nd for Gudbranson and a 6th or something like that.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Maybe a late pick for Martin, but Soshnikov would clear waivers.
What about that clause in Soshnikov's contract which said he needed to be re-called by a certain time in November 2017 (which we all know he was) or he can go back to the KHL. Does that still apply if the Leafs or any other team who trades for him if they want to send him back to the AHL?

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
Unfortunately Martin is no longer a NHL player in this league of skill and speed. He might serve a purpose on another team, but he no longer has a role to fill here.

Martin is most definitely still an NHL player. He's just not better than the the 9 wingers we have playing right now. He can contribute in a limited role and will likely find a role elsewhere if he gets moved. He's not "just" a goon.

Reactions: iSophagus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad