Sportsnet: Leafs - Martin & Soshnikov available, per Johnston

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Death, Taxes, and the Winter Soldier finding his way into a Leaf thread to take pot shots.

Some things never change.

A Leafs thread on the Mainboard? There is no such exclusivity. If you guys are so sensitive of what other fans opinions are on the Mainboard, stop making threads on Leafs players then.

But if it is posted on the Mainboard. Expect posters to post and opine. This is why it is called the Mainboard not a team's board. But I am flattered I have such a huge following here that often wait with baited breath on every post I make.

For this I will repeat. There will be little interest for a 2.5M 4th line player of Martin's skill set, so don't expect much in return.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Martin, with what little money owed this year and 2 more years, at a 2 year term in an expensive (for his production), but not exorbitant (for his...'intangibles', ugh) deal, is worth probably an 80th-100th pick, but I would rather a boom or bust prospect...imagine we ship him back to the isles for Dal Colle? :naughty:

Sosh might become a good energy 3rd liner good for 30 points...but given his size and concussion history, I lack faith, to me he's a throw in.
This is one of the most delusional things I've ever heard

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Death, Taxes, and the Winter Soldier finding his way into a Leaf thread to take pot shots.

Some things never change.

I will never get over why certain fans try to see it through so that a player they don't like ends up in the garbage.

I didn't particularly like Matt Hunwick, but I certainly didn't waste my time slamming the door behind him when he was no longer a Leaf.

The same goes for Randy Carlyle. Many hateful Leaf fans smacked him so hard when he got fired. They called him a "caveman", and "the game has passed him by", and "he doesn't understand systems", etc. Randy has gone on to be a pretty decent coach in the NHL despite his detractors.

Why cut down Martin? All he's done is give an honest effort. To say that the leafs will have to practically beg teams to take him off us is misguided hate.

Reactions: The Big D

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Martin might be stuck with the Leafs for the remaining two years, but who knows. His points per-game average so far this year is up there with his career best(s) lol.

Wouldn't surprise me if these franchises that aren't going anywhere like the Coyotes grab him to fix the culture in their room etc.

The Leafs have been a model franchise since Lou and Shanny have taken over, this is such a small problem in the grand schemes of things and that's a huge credit to them.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Psst...just please don't mention he's available to the Habs GM...Bergevin might get too excited if he hears...

If Bergevin makes a deal for Martin at anything less than a 6th rd pick plus 1M x 2 min of cap retention by the Leafs, he should be fired. I would not pay a 4th liner of Martin's skill set more than 1.5M per for the 7 mins he plays when the coach decides to put him in, especially a team that is paying Price and Weber the cap hits they are absorbing. Every penny counts in today's game.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
If Bergevin makes a deal for Martin at anything less than a 6th rd pick plus 1M x 2 min of cap retention by the Leafs, he should be fired. I would not pay a 4th liner of Martin's skill set more than 1.5M per for the 7 mins he plays when the coach decides to put him in, especially a team that is paying Price and Weber the cap hits they are absorbing. Every penny counts in today's game.

Again, we would send him down before we retain.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Again, we would send him down before we retain.
What does this have to do with a trade proposal premise thread. This is for another topic on a team's own board of cap implications ect...

This thread is for what is Martin worth, what is likely he is to fetch, and like it or not. For a deal to be made, salary coming back, or retention, or a sweetner to take Martin's salary off the Leafs hands are the most likely scenarios.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Lol, I think it's safe to say Bergevin has done quite a few moves/non-moves that would have gotten other GM's fired already so one more, specially something this insignificant, wouldn't really make a difference. And he has already been wasting cap space by the boatload already (even with all the cap space he didn't use). Alzner, 5 yr 4.6 mil for one...Shaw would be another...and the never ending stream of 4th line grinders...

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Lol, I think it's safe to say Bergevin has done quite a few moves/non-moves that would have gotten other GM's fired already so one more, specially something this insignificant, wouldn't really make a difference. And he has already been wasting cap space by the boatload already (even with all the cap space he didn't use). Alzner, 5 yr 4.6 mil for one...Shaw would be another...and the never ending stream of 4th line grinders...

As bad as that deal is, Shaw is atleast somewhat useful. He and Gallagher are only 1.2-1.4 paid more than what Martin is being paid. Which tells you just how bad Martin's contract is. But I agree, it's these type of deals that eat away cap space which could help shore up key players down the line. It's funny you mention the never ending 4th line grinders mantra. This was how NJ Devils looked just 3 years ago, when Lamoriello was replaced by Shero. And look at the Devils now. So there is hope for the Canadiens, if they learn from these past mistakes. That is atleast a positive, it is possible for the Habs if they are smart like how the Devils are now.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
As bad as that deal is, Shaw is atleast somewhat useful. He and Gallagher are only 1.2-1.4 paid more than what Martin is being paid. Which tells you just how bad Martin's contract is. But I agree, it's these type of deals that eat away cap space which could help shore up key players down the line. It's funny you mention the never ending 4th line grinders mantra. This was how NJ Devils looked just 3 years ago, when Lamoriello was replaced by Shero. And look at the Devils now. So there is hope for the Canadiens, if they learn from these past mistakes. That is atleast a positive, it is possible for the Habs if they are smart like how the Devils are now.
ur forgetting a big difference. ray shero >>>> marc bergevin

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Martin 2.5m
Marincin 1.350m
Fehr 2m
Polak 1m
That's alot of dead cap could be use

Well not exactly, you can send a players to the minors and get 1.025 cap exemption, so Fehr is under a million cap hit, Polak none, and Marincin about 300 thousand. Martin was effective till the last bit, so he wasn't really a bad investment, but going forward, he might be. Leafs have more cap issues this year with Kessel 1.2m retention, and the buyouts of Cowan and Tim Gleason. (both that end this season)

Martin's contract was front loaded, so a team that has cap space, and is cheap, little actually salary, (think Arizona) might take in the summer with a sweetener given by the Leafs.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
What does this have to do with a trade proposal premise thread. This is for another topic on a team's own board of cap implications ect...

This thread is for what is Martin worth, what is likely he is to fetch, and like it or not. For a deal to be made, salary coming back, or retention, or a sweetner to take Martin's salary off the Leafs hands are the most likely scenarios.

Does the trade making sense from the Leafs side not factor into the equation at all?

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011

Well, let me explain it to ya....the Leafs make Martin available, if the offers suck or it isn't in the best interest of the Leafs (retention) then they will send him down and save a bit of cap.... they do not HAVE to move him, make sense now? And by offers suck, i mean i'd move him for a 6th....but i wouldn't retain.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Unfortunately Martin is no longer a NHL player in this league of skill and speed. He might serve a purpose on another team, but he no longer has a role to fill here.

You're absolutely right. The problem is getting someone to blow 2.5 million. Maybe they can turn it into another player they like who's overpaid, and get a team to take Martin to even that out. That's probably their best chance at moving the money. I just dont see anyone making a play at that 2.5..

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
You're absolutely right. The problem is getting someone to blow 2.5 million. Maybe they can turn it into another player they like who's overpaid, and get a team to take Martin to even that out. That's probably their best chance at moving the money. I just dont see anyone making a play at that 2.5..

Depends on if the acquiring team is a cap team or a budget team. A budget team will only care about the actual money paid out. For now that's 4 million over the final 2 years(+ fractions of his 1 million salary this year). However should they attempt to move it this summer after July 1st he's only owed 2.5 over 2 years. Some budget team might bite of 1.25 per year for 2 years for what Martin provides. I wouldn't suggest it, but teams tend to value Martin type of players more than I do.

I don't think you'll see a cap team even consider him for free.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Martin used to be such a good 4th liner on the island.
They could turn games around with that 4th line

Now Martin just sucks.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Martin used to be such a good 4th liner on the island.
They could turn games around with that 4th line

Now Martin just sucks.

He is still good but we are not playing his game here anymore at all. Good player that doesn't fit our template is all. Better than Reeves for sure. Reeves was just never worth a 1st.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad