Sportsnet: Leafs - Martin & Soshnikov available, per Johnston

BreakingGood

Jun 29, 2014
WIth the possibility of komarov, JVR and Bozak leaving in the off season I’d keep Martin. Still need to have veterans on the team and not just young guys. Seems like the young guys have really taken a liking to him.

Eh, there'll still be Hainsey, Marleau, Andersen, and Gardiner and Kadri are barely younger than JVR, and just the fact that like, these kids aren't gonna need babysitters forever. Plus, y'know, there'll be UFAs brought in, I imagine. wouldn't be shocked if the 13th forward/7th defensemen next year are guys like, idk maybe Luke Schenn or someone like that? anyway, realizing Schenn is almost 30 is bumming me out, so I'm gonna sit and feel old.

Reactions: shortfuze

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I think Sosh deserves a chance. He's a decent player that has shown a flash of brilliance or two. He plays an exciting game, but that has also derailed him with injuries a couple times.

Martin is a decent grinder with some smash, but his price tag is quite high.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
On the Isles though he was a pretty close to an average, or above average 4th line player most seasons, meaning that he didn't really hurt his team. In 2014-15 he was actually on a line that had a 54.38 xGF% in his hardest comp ever. The Leafs hoped they were signing a capable 4th line player with a great personality, that could protect the kids.

With the Leafs though, he's put up career worst numbers across the board, and what's worse is he's playing in his easiest minutes ever. With fighting way down, and really no kids to protect there isn't much reason for him to be on the ice, as he's not one of our best 12 forwards.

Well I kind of agree with you that there isn't much reason for him to be on the ice. Just because he has played a part for the team doesn't mean he isn't going to be traded or scratched. I like the team better at the moment without him. I'm just bringing attention to how useful he still can be.

But I disagree with the bolded. Just looking at points isn't fair to a guy playing under 10 minutes who only tends to get 15 points in a season.

But even still, he's actually putting up points this season equal to his career years with NYI. His highest 2 seasons with the Islanders were .24 and .23 points/game (in 15-16 and 12-13 respectively). This season he is at .23 with less ice time. So he is providing, at the moment, exactly the amount of production as the Leafs hoped he was capable of.

The problem is team style, and a crazy amount of competition for roster spots on the wing. I'm not saying the Leafs should keep him, or even play him. But I do think it needs to be said that his current predicament (scratches and potentially the trade block) are not at all because he performed less than expected. He has always been doing his job as a 4th liner and glue guy. But outside forces are changing how much his job is needed on this particular team.

He would still help a lot of teams. He has a role. He does it well.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Well I kind of agree with you that there isn't much reason for him to be on the ice. Just because he has played a part for the team doesn't mean he isn't going to be traded or scratched. I like the team better at the moment without him. I'm just bringing attention to how useful he still can be.

But I disagree with the bolded. Just looking at points isn't fair to a guy playing under 10 minutes who only tends to get 15 points in a season.

But even still, he's actually putting up points this season equal to his career years with NYI. His highest 2 seasons with the Islanders were .24 and .23 points/game (in 15-16 and 12-13 respectively). This season he is at .23 with less ice time. So he is providing, at the moment, exactly the amount of production as the Leafs hoped he was capable of.

The problem is team style, and a crazy amount of competition for roster spots on the wing. I'm not saying the Leafs should keep him, or even play him. But I do think it needs to be said that his current predicament (scratches and potentially the trade block) are not at all because he performed less than expected. He has always been doing his job as a 4th liner and glue guy. But outside forces are changing how much his job is needed on this particular team.

He would still help a lot of teams. He has a role. He does it well.

I'm not looking at just points though.

re.CF% - (-0.89)
rel.xGF% - (-5.48)
rel.GF% - (-7.44)

All while playing the easiest toiQOC, and pretty close to the easiest zone starts in his career.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
The best thing for the Leafs is to keep Martin. Let him practice and be a healthy scratch. Let him come in from time to time and make sure no hurting our star players.

Unless someone comes in with an offer (which I doubt) that is great, there's no reason to move Martin just to get a 6th round pick.

Donkey Puck

Feb 15, 2013
Excuse me. Attention everybody.

When the Leafs play the Bruins in a scrappy / heavy series who is going to protect our stars' from face punches and cheap shots? Who does TOR have in their system to play against toughness?

Nobody fights in the playoffs. All of Kapanen, Leivo, and Soshnikov are better options on the forecheck for a Boston Series.
If Chara somehow lost his mind Martin wouldn't even slow him down

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Nobody fights in the playoffs. All of Kapanen, Leivo, and Soshnikov are better options on the forecheck for a Boston Series.
If Chara somehow lost his mind Martin wouldn't even slow him down

No one needs to fight at all. But once things get chippy vs. Boston the leafs might inject Martin. Chara would risk breaking his hand in a scrap? Probably not. Martin could risk that though.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I'm not worried at all. Just because these two are available doesn't mean a proper deal can be made. They are not going to give them away for nothing.

Reactions: iSophagus

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I can't see anyone lining up to take that cap hit unless the Leafs are prepared to take some back.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
The best thing for the Leafs is to keep Martin. Let him practice and be a healthy scratch. Let him come in from time to time and make sure no hurting our star players.

Unless someone comes in with an offer (which I doubt) that is great, there's no reason to move Martin just to get a 6th round pick.
If he's not going to play may as well move him and get him off our cap.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
If he's not going to play may as well move him and get him off our cap.

Why? Leafs don't have the money? The guy makes 2.5 million. It's not that unreasonable. I think management, coaching staff, and his teammates like the guy and want him around. So if the team can afford him, why just throw him away?

I'm not saying he can't or won't be traded. I just don't think they're looking to "dump" him for cap relief.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Why? Leafs don't have the money? The guy makes 2.5 million. It's not that unreasonable. I think management, coaching staff, and his teammates like the guy and want him around. So if the team can afford him, why just throw him away?

I'm not saying he can't or won't be traded. I just don't think they're looking to "dump" him for cap relief.
I did not say throw him a way, of course you try to get something for him. If you cannot understand why having 2.5 mil on your Cap that does not play is a bad thing, I cannot help you.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Martin isn't going anywhere until his toughness can be replaced from within. Luckily TSN and HFBoards aren't running this team.
If his toughness is so valuable why is he sitting on his a** in the pressbox?

I'm wondering if he's a buyout candidate this coming offseason.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
My question is. Who would want them? Martin is signed for 2 more plus years to a Lamoriello special 2.5M per for a 4th line player that will likely be a healthy scratch. If I am a rival GM, I would take a likely 2nd or 3rd draft pick back from the Leafs to take that contract off their ledger.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Get in line and take a number

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
My question is. Who would want them? Martin is signed for 2 more plus years to a Lamoriello special 2.5M per for a 4th line player that will likely be a healthy scratch. If I am a rival GM, I would take a likely 2nd or 3rd draft pick back from the Leafs to take that contract off their ledger.

Wow...2.5 you say? You sure we only need to add a second? Might need to add our 1st+ to unload that albatross.:laugh:

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto

A 2nd round pick to take 2.5 million off the cap?!! Are you serious.

Martin is still a NHLer and has value. The guy was a healthy scratch for a couple of games and now we have to pay up for a GM to take him from us?! No Way!

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
A 2nd round pick to take 2.5 million off the cap?!! Are you serious.

Martin is still a NHLer and has value. The guy was a healthy scratch for a couple of games and now we have to pay up for a GM to take him from us?! No Way!
Wow...2.5 you say? You sure we only need to add a second? Might need to add our 1st+ to unload that albatross.:laugh:

Players like Martin, really have little to no value in the NHL today. Think about it, fighting is practically non-existent in hockey today. So what does he offer to a team. 2.5M per for a 4th line player that plays 7 mins a game, that are in and out of the line up has value? If you are a rival GM. You want something of value back from the Leafs to take that on. Rival GM's only do favours for other GM's if it is reciprocal. There are not many GM's like Lamoriello that value less skilled 4th line players at 2.5M that I know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad