Sportsnet: Leafs - Martin & Soshnikov available, per Johnston

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Leafs should waive Martin. No ones going to take him.

Soshnikov should be able to fetch a 3rd or 4th.

willyjones

May 30, 2013
I could see Sosh getting dealt, but I find it hard to believe Babcock would let martin go. I know lou is the gm but Babcock has pull was part of the reason I think he came to Toronto. We a ll know Babcock loves hi size and toughness especially for heavy teams like if we end up playing the bruins in the first round, Martin will be in for every game for that and w would actually need him for that.

Reactions: Leafs87

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I'd be okay with keeping Martin around for his toughness. We don't have much.

Won't get anything for Sosh. He would clear waivers if sent down.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Unfortunately Martin is no longer a NHL player in this league of skill and speed. He might serve a purpose on another team, but he no longer has a role to fill here.

Martin’s had a good year so far. Just doesn’t match the Leafs style. He still can play on plenty other teams though

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
WIth the possibility of komarov, JVR and Bozak leaving in the off season I’d keep Martin. Still need to have veterans on the team and not just young guys. Seems like the young guys have really taken a liking to him.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Excuse me. Attention everybody.

When the Leafs play the Bruins in a scrappy / heavy series who is going to protect our stars' from face punches and cheap shots? Who does TOR have in their system to play against toughness?

Reactions: SHANNYPLAN

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Was hoping we'd be able to hold on to him and let him take Komarovs role on the 4th line next year.
Shift leo to Centre

Soshnikov - Komarov - Kapanen for thebrest of the season would be insane

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Sucks to see Martin leave the Leafs cause he is very well liked amongst his teammates. Him and the young studs of the team are extremely close off ice. He will be very well missed forsure

But, i get it

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I certainly don't expect Martin to have much value around the league based on his cap hit. He's a useful player that does his job on the fourth line well enough and brings lots to the table in leadership. I'd be perfectly happy to keep him on the Leafs, but would expect a mid-late round pick like a fourth or fifth for him.

Soshnikov gets moved in a nothing deal or as a throw in and the team that gets him will chirp us for years. If he manages to stay healthy, he can be a very good bottom sixer. There's just no space here.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
To be fair, Ryan Reaves essentially got a 1st

Think they'd like a do over on that but not only that, Reaves makes like half of what Martin makes. You could essentially bury Reaves if you wanted to (and he had term) and not feel the burden of his cap. No such luck with Martin.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
You should have a UTM code appended to that link, so you can see where traffic is coming from.

There is ways to see where I am getting traffic from actually, but i'm not looking to monetize or anything, it's just for fun. No ads :)

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Martin was a good NHL player on the isles, but that was playing with two guys (Cizikas, Clutts) who are both better than him. I think the Leafs expected him to be able to be the same guy, but it was pretty clear from day one that unless he had a Boyle, Nylander, or Marner the Leafs were bleeding shots with him on the ice.

Great personality, good hockey player (relative to other goons in the NHL), but he's just not one of our best 12 forwards. We're just so deep on the wings it doesn't make sense to have him in our lineup the majority of games. At the same time, I wouldn't mind at all keeping him on as the 13th forward, and have him play 30~ games a season. He really does seem like the locker room glue guy.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
If I'm a rebuilding team, I'd be all over Soshnikov. He's young enough, cost controlled and with an interesting skillset. He's a really good PKer and a good skater. The 2 problems are his offensive upside and seems injured quite often because of he's a wrecking ball.

Heck even a cap strapped team looking for cheap depth should be looking at Soshnikov.

Martin is a fine 4th liner but his contract, like predicted, isn't very good. I could see this summer someone looking for toughness taking a stab at him.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Sucks to see Martin leave the Leafs cause he is very well liked amongst his teammates. Him and the young studs of the team are extremely close off ice. He will be very well missed forsure

But, i get it

Well he isn't gone yet, but I hear you.

I think too many people judge Martin harshly because of his minimal impact on the scoresheet. But they don't appreciate the impact he makes on the team, overall. I know the 'intangibles' label is a joke on this site. But Matt Martin came on board last season and helped shape the team culture we are seeing now. This is an organization that used to have a name for the rampant entitlement and lazy smugness that permeated through the locker room ("blue and white disease"). But bringing in fresh talent last season, and giving them vet presence like Martin to keep them grounded, has worked.

He is what he's always been, a hard hitting 4th liner who gets 10 minute a night and about 15 points. He fills a role on the ice still, too. But I don't undervalue what a player of his personality, style, and work ethic have done for a team.

BreakingGood

Jun 29, 2014
Maybe a late pick for Martin, but Soshnikov would clear waivers.

nah that's insane, Sosh is a nice player who at very worst is a guy who can be a part of a speedy energy line that pins the puck in the other team's zone, even if he never becomes a scorer. if i'm a team that needs speed in my bottom six, i'd deffo take him. not sure what assets i'd give, but i'm pretty purist on the idea that you shouldn't ever really have to give serious assets on third or fourth liners anyway. but i'd take him off waivers, sure. oilers are too slow a team. He could take Caggiula's spot.

Martin you never know. In terms of goons, I mean, he's not an awful player. Fact is, when there is one particularly good play driver on the line (Kapanen), the results are fine. with Boyle in the playoffs, the three of them looked together. Only problem is Brown can balance a line, but he can't carry his own, and Moore/Goat aren't close to that. i don't know how much "banger fourth liner who doesnt look totally out of place in the NHL" returns, especially on his deal, but there are always teams that like certain types for certain reasons.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Well he isn't gone yet, but I hear you.

I think too many people judge Martin harshly because of his minimal impact on the scoresheet. But they don't appreciate the impact he makes on the team, overall. I know the 'intangibles' label is a joke on this site. But Matt Martin came on board last season and helped shape the team culture we are seeing now. This is an organization that used to have a name for the rampant entitlement and lazy smugness that permeated through the locker room ("blue and white disease"). But bringing in fresh talent last season, and giving them vet presence like Martin to keep them grounded, has worked.

He is what he's always been, a hard hitting 4th liner who gets 10 minute a night and about 15 points. He fills a role on the ice still, too. But I don't undervalue what a player of his personality, style, and work ethic have done for a team.

On the Isles though he was a pretty close to an average, or above average 4th line player most seasons, meaning that he didn't really hurt his team. In 2014-15 he was actually on a line that had a 54.38 xGF% in his hardest comp ever. The Leafs hoped they were signing a capable 4th line player with a great personality, that could protect the kids.

With the Leafs though, he's put up career worst numbers across the board, and what's worse is he's playing in his easiest minutes ever. With fighting way down, and really no kids to protect there isn't much reason for him to be on the ice, as he's not one of our best 12 forwards.

BreakingGood

Jun 29, 2014
Should other teams be excited at all?

Eh, Sosh is kind of a wild card. he's someone you can probably get for next to nothing because he's never gotten a real NHL opportunity, but might be a real player. I mean, maybe it's not ultra thrilling to find like "the next Mike Santorelli except he's a winger" - but it's something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad