Speculation: Leafs looking for a trade: Timashov, Harpur, Bracco made available

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Why not? He has more of a chance of making a teams roster than an undeveloped potential... potential.
I don't think Bracco not making our team is an indication that hes bad, rather it shows how good and deep our winger position is.

Petan can't make the Leafs either, and he seems too good for the AHL.

With the Leafs cap situation it isn't like the Leafs can trade non-cap players for cap players.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Nylander, imo, has had his value/worth to the team go up since Keefe was hired. Why? Because Keefe actually uses the guys that get paid the big bucks. Babcock and his roll 4lines garbage and line match D-zone draws with our 4th line etc etc was garbage. Roll 4 lines if you're a team like the Islanders. You have what, Barzal and Lee as your top end talents? We have a very heavy top 4.
Matthews-Marner
Tavares-Nylander

We can afford to start moving around the Johnsson's of the world. Those 2 lines take 20 mins each a night that leaves you with a 10/10 or 15/5 split between the 3rd and 4th lines. Exactly how it should be when you spend the kind of money we do on forwards. Throw Hyman on their wing. Throw an Agostino on the other wing. Those lines are dynamic duos mixed with a digger. Guys like Johnsson, by being hurt and out of the lineup unfortunately, have proved to be replaceable. You still have Kerfoot-Kapanen as the third line. You add in found wallets, discount signings and AHL guys (Mikheyev, Spezza, Engvall) and spend the rest of the money helping out your D and back-up goalie. I'm fully on board with moving Johnsson and Bracco for some grit and a backup goalie if possible. Ritchie/Jones + Ryan Miller for example. I think something gives sooner or later

Reactions: Eye Test

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Bracco definitely has some good value right now. A team can test him out at the NHL this season and then stash back in the AHL for a Calder cup run. He would be one of the better forward prospects of a lot of teams out there and he's NHL ready.

If Dubas can package Bracco and Ceci together, and maybe another piece, for a better defenseman --- this would be really really beneficial. Teams taking back Ceci can sell him off at the deadline for pick(s) or use him as a place holder for a tank job.

It's a darn shame PK Subban is way too expensive because I think he'd be target #1 to go after. Leafs apparently were close to trading for him this past off-season.

I suggested Bracco and Ceci for a similar lower cap hit defender. If you're adding another roster player you can open up more cap space for a better back-up.
There has to be an incentive for the other team to give up a lower cap hit defender for Ceci. Bracco would be that incentive. Teams aren't going to do it for free.
Ceci is good enough to play on the 3rd. pairing, Holl is good enough to play on the 2nd. pairing and you have Barrie, Liljegren for the RD.

Reviews on PK aren't very good going back a couple years now.

Leafs need cap space flexibility.

Reactions: SprDaVE

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
The packages I would look to move would be centered around Kapanen (have been reported as having surprisingly high value on the market) or Johnsson+Bracco.

I think we could replace them rather easily, especially the latter.

So could a lot of teams I suspect. Got to think that Johnsson/Bracco level players could be found on most organizations farm teams unless teams haven't been drafting much over the last 2 - 4 years, or have struck out on most of their picks in that timeframe.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Are you thinking about Robertson for his size? Bracco is 5'11" 185lbs.
His production is down this year but he is a playmaker so his goals will always be lower.
There are teams that would love a playmaking winger on their roster. It sells on the potential.
I really don't know much about him and misread his weight. He's bigger than I thought.

I agree with the idea @saltming expressed that it is probably significant that Keefe would also sign off on a trade of Bracco and others he coached in the A.

Reactions: saltming

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
He could be used as an add in to bring back a player with a lower cap hit than the player going out.

Leafs are up against the cap and using assets for flexibility isn't difficult to comprehend.

Oh, for sure. I was just responding to a poster that was talking about if we'd get rid of a cap hit by moving Bracco. Nothing more & no need for concern.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Oh, for sure. I was just responding to a poster that was talking about if we'd get rid of a cap hit by moving Bracco. Nothing more & no need for concern.

Yeah, Bracco is not on the Cap so moving him alone doesn't do anything for the current team. If they move him for a player who isn't in the NHL or picks would be a move to give him a better opportunity and the Leafs some futures.

Reactions: Zoltar

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Bracco as a piece for a defender is something that should be looked. Your trading to improve the team, but not necessarily to help our cap situation.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Bracco as a piece for a defender is something that should be looked. Your trading to improve the team, but not necessarily to help our cap situation.

Unless you move another player how can you get the defender into the line-up?
There is no cap space.
Or do you think another team is willing to give up a NHL capable defender on an entry level deal? ($700k)

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

Sure, as a secondary or tertiary piece. Other more valuable assets would be required of course, and the trade would hinge on that.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Unless you move another player how can you get the defender into the line-up?
There is no cap space.
Or do you think another team is willing to give up a NHL capable defender on an entry level deal? ($700k)

Ya, teams tend to horde those guys if they see any potential in the ELC defender. Good, top 4 RDs aren't easy to find unfortunately.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Why not? He has more of a chance of making a teams roster than an undeveloped potential... potential.
I don't think Bracco not making our team is an indication that hes bad, rather it shows how good and deep our winger position is.
I think he’s a flawed prospect and I suspect other teams scouts agre. Intriguing, but he doesn’t necessarily translate to a NHLer. I know a 2nd isn’t any high probability, but I still think teams reticent to send a high pick for a Bracco. Perhaps a team desperate for a PP guy?

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Petan can't make the Leafs either, and he seems too good for the AHL.

With the Leafs cap situation it isn't like the Leafs can trade non-cap players for cap players.
Agreed about the cap situation.
Petan and Bracco are the same type of player, but bracco has the more potential due to age and the unknown factor. Both can't make our team largely due to the role they should be playing in, more so Bracco than Petan

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I think he’s a flawed prospect and I suspect other teams scouts agre. Intriguing, but he doesn’t necessarily translate to a NHLer. I know a 2nd isn’t any high probability, but I still think teams reticent to send a high pick for a Bracco. Perhaps a team desperate for a PP guy?
I do agree with you, but just think a 2nd would not be out of the question or even a good idea for the value of him.
Even if it's just to acquire that pp guy, some teams might see that as a target to help them improve.

Reactions: DarkKnight

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Agreed about the cap situation.
Petan and Bracco are the same type of player, but bracco has the more potential due to age and the unknown factor. Both can't make our team largely due to the role they should be playing in, more so Bracco than Petan

And yet Petan has had some games and required waivers?
Again, doesn't matter there is no cap space so that has to be addressed before Leafs can add anything to the line-up.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Marincin as well, but they may be taking some guys off of the block. They need some of these guys for depth.
They can play while on the "block" if they are that. Leafs have really yet to name a that's realistic trade bait. Even Kadri was hush till Calgary.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
31 Thoughts: NHL trade market beginning to take shape - Sportsnet.ca

12. I went to Game 7 of the Calder Cup Final in 2018 (Toronto beat Texas that night for the championship in a packed, crazed rink — was a fun night). During one of the intermissions, I ran into the great Rich Clune, who was not dressed for the game. He pointed to the person standing next to him and asked, “Have you ever met Jeremy Bracco?” I hadn’t. He said, “You’re going to see plenty of him.” Bracco only dressed for four games in that run, but finished second in the AHL in scoring last season and is fifth in assists this year.

His path to the Maple Leafs is blocked by some elite, elite skill and he wants to see if there’s a better opportunity somewhere else. Toronto is willing to accommodate, but have not been shy in their asks, apparently. I’m curious to see what the market is. I’m also curious to see if this could be part of a bigger deal. Ben Harpur and Dmytro Timashov have also asked Toronto to see what’s out there for them.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Bracco alone would only get u bottom pairing Dman, max. No chance a team gives up a top 4 guy for Bracco. If Bracco gets moved and that team can get him in very good shape which will help his acceleration/speed/high intensity shifts then he can become a player. Compete level/hunger and skating are issues. Hockey sense especially his deception and vision, u cant teach. Im 100% fine with moving him for a dman or Bracco and Johnnson for Dman.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
And yet Petan has had some games and required waivers?
Again, doesn't matter there is no cap space so that has to be addressed before Leafs can add anything to the line-up.
Petan is what he is, Bracco still has unknown potential.
Also even in the AHL Bracco is a better playmaker than Petan.
Bracco younger and cost controlled too. There are several reasons why Bracco can be more enticing to teams.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
Hes basically a Trevor Moore clone. They can be found in free agency if you really, really need one, for minimal dollars.
Disagree tbh. It's always easy to say they're easy to find but they're not. You only realize it once they are gone. The ones you find can only skate or only hit and have low skill. He might be better than Moore. Plus his hands are pretty good. He's an interesting case because he comes across as a skill player who succeeds in the "dog" role. I wouldn't be opposed to occasionally running him in the top six as the dog type winger to two of Matt's Nylander Marner or Tavares.

Reactions: saltming

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
31 Thoughts: NHL trade market beginning to take shape - Sportsnet.ca

12. I went to Game 7 of the Calder Cup Final in 2018 (Toronto beat Texas that night for the championship in a packed, crazed rink — was a fun night). During one of the intermissions, I ran into the great Rich Clune, who was not dressed for the game. He pointed to the person standing next to him and asked, “Have you ever met Jeremy Bracco?” I hadn’t. He said, “You’re going to see plenty of him.” Bracco only dressed for four games in that run, but finished second in the AHL in scoring last season and is fifth in assists this year.

His path to the Maple Leafs is blocked by some elite, elite skill and he wants to see if there’s a better opportunity somewhere else. Toronto is willing to accommodate, but have not been shy in their asks, apparently. I’m curious to see what the market is. I’m also curious to see if this could be part of a bigger deal. Ben Harpur and Dmytro Timashov have also asked Toronto to see what’s out there for them.
Sorry Dmytro I guess holding you on the roster and scratching you a half dozen times in your first season calls for a change of scenery. What kind of ice time does he expect to get with his track record?

Also, 3 guys asked for trades? That's abnormally high.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
i expected Bracco to ask for a trade.

Wierd that Timashov did too.

That is weird

Bracco is blocked, if the guys in front of him stay fit he's not going to play so it's understandable if he wants to go somewhere else for an NHL opportunity

Timashov is playing NHL minutes and he wasn't anything special on the Marlies so I don't get him wanting out

I get rating oneself but that seems mightily aggressive

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad