Speculation: Leafs looking for a trade: Timashov, Harpur, Bracco made available

horner

May 22, 2007
Ben Harpur - not an NHL defenseman. His impacts have been horrifying in his 103 game NHL career, and there is a reason that he hasn't touched the ice with the Leafs this season. That being said, he somehow made his way into over 100 NHL games by age 25, and is 6'6", so I wouldn't be shocked if a few of the old school GMs out there were interested in acquiring him, even if it isn't necessarily a prudent move to make. If we can get something positive for him, it's absolutely a win, because the Leafs aren't going to be using him anytime soon, he's far down the depth chart, and for good reason.

Jeremy Bracco - this one makes sense, and has been speculated for a long time. If there's a time to trade the guy, it is this season. At age 22, he's progressed every year in the AHL, and last year proved that he's done all he can do at that level. The fact of the matter is, his value will never be higher than it is now, with his current age, contract, and recent production & numbers. He is a great player, and in the right situation on the right team, I believe he has the potential to be an impact NHLer. The problem is that his skating just isn't up to snuff for the NHL level, and on a team like the Leafs, who already have Marner & Nylander on the right side, and aren't lacking in talented guys to man their PP units...a slow skating, cerebral, smallish right winger isn't likely to be called up for 4th line duty anytime soon.

Dmytro Timashov - makes a little less sense to me. Totally, he's an expendable asset in the sense that we have a lot of guys who can do what he's doing, at, or near, the same level. In a perfectly healthy world, he's probably not even in the lineup anyways most nights. So I get why he would be available in that sense, but I'm not sure why Toronto would be shopping him? He's 23, very cheap on a cap-strapped team, is pretty solid in all areas, and despite struggling under tough usage during Babcock's time, he's started to flourish and find an offensive game under Keefe. So again, I'd be totally willing to trade him, but he's a good player who fits with the vision & style of this team well, so it's odd to me that he specifically has been made "available".

All together, this isn't a huge package. Realistically, Harpur shouldn't be worth any assets, and while Bracco & Timashov are a pair of young wingers with bottom six talent, neither is a top level prospect likely to bring in any huge return. If anything, I could see all three of them being pieces in part of a larger deal. We'll see though. Dubas has never failed to surprise with the trades he can pull off.

Like Timo bringing him ups of his tenacity which I hadn't seen in the AHL. I actually love his piss and viniger attitude .

Bring Bracco up for 5 games to show team what type of an NHL player he is . Maybe he has something we haven't seen yet.

We don't need draft picks
Prospects we need in the system
Defenceman
Centers
Backup goaltender

horner

May 22, 2007
Obviously, someone on the roster has to be moved no matter how you slice it. They have to move someone as soon as everyone is healthy trade or no trade.

Yes we do

And we do need 1 or 2 defenseman

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
These guys know nothing like usual. Better to throw out trade speculation than talk about how well we are doing now with simply changing the coach. The same coach they all said was SAFE ha.

These guys are jokes and diverting talking positively by injecting trade talk. Best team in the league again with one of the youngest rosters and most potent offense. Never hear much about it other than Poulin saying the league is figuring it out and adjudting and oh yeah our defense is bad ha.

We don’t have to trade anyone. St Louis wants to talk about Pietrangelo now thats a different story. Trade and sign him and thats something to talk about. Bracco, Petan etc lol i really could barely care less

Reactions: The Nic and Jeypic

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Some teams will pick up Harpur for late rounder.
Tima, Petan and Bracco are interesting players bc all three got skills and can skate. GMs are willing to overpay and gamble on these players. Having said that overpayment does not mean a top 4 D man coming back, more like mid round picks with prospects.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I have said this multiple times. If we could get a player like Bennett, Ritchie or Crouse I do it in a heartbeat.

I get the sentiment but Bennett and Ritchie are hot garbage. Bennett would not have a spot on our roster, he's bad offensively and defensively and takes terrible penalties because he's constantly out of position, him throwing a few hits isn't worth it. We'd be a better team if we gave away AJ for free and just called up Agostino.

Reactions: HoBOonFiRE

Leafblooded

Jul 27, 2012
T.
I'm still saying trade Willy, esp now that he has put together a good string of high level play.

For a real, proven #1.5 defenseman. A salary retained Doughty. Pietrangelo with an 8 year extension. Can't think of anyone else off the top of my head but I'm sure deals are out there.

You gotta give to get but get quality, please!

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
If Bracco could pull some sandpaper or a good back-up goalie like Georgiev then it does make a lot of sense to deal him. If the plan is to run Marner - Nylander - Kapanen for the foreseeable future it makes sense to deal him now before his value begins to depreciate. He should have solid value. I'm curious to see how Dubas does on this one.

I don't want to see Timashov moved. I think he's a good fit at the bottom of the lineup and he is one player on this team that will finish his checks.

Harpur could probably net a late round pick in the right environment. If he's being moved for another AHL body, I don't see much point depending on who it is. He adds an element to the Marlies d-core.

Reactions: DarkKnight

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
You can ask whatever you want.

Until a deal is done ... it's all virtual fantasy.

Petan 2017-2018, 22 years old, 52 games, 52 points.

If Leafs didn't have marner, maybe Bracco gets a try-out.

I hope he's worth a 1st. round pick.
Spin it all you want, but you pretty much called Bracco worthless. League doesn't think so.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

You were saying? Dubas seems to value him a lot as prospect to not use him for cap relief.

Friedman is saying Dubas is asking a lot for Bracco, and would prefer to use him in a bigger trade.
Here we have people saying to trade him for a 3rd. Just because there isn't room for him here, doesn't lower his value.

Seems like what is being said is there a bigger piece involved in a bigger trade where Bracco would get added to. Lots of room for interpretation, but it does seem to say that Bracco is not the big piece.

And then you have to wonder what "some people are wondering" really means. That's kind of obtuse - maybe someone is speculating?

Last edited:

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Seems like what is being said is there a bigger piece involved in a bigger trade where Bracco would get added to. Lots of room for interpretation, but it does seem to say that Bracco is not the big piece.

And then you have to wonder what "some people are wondering" really means. That sounds like a fancy way of saying its speculation.
Your right he isn't the bigger piece, but he isn't being traded for "cap relief".

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Bracco will never crack the Leafs. lets call a spade a spade. Not so bad to be worthless, Not good enough to surplant one of our current forwards in the PP, skill role
No one is arguing that, but I am arguing is someone saying to trade him for cap reasons.

Reactions: saltming

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
We’re shopping him, that’s the reasons we’re taking calls.

Yes, and if you put any stock into the "some people are wondering" statement, it appears that he isn't the big piece involved. So, that might equate to a 2nd maybe, probably a 3rd.

Reactions: SwissLeaf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad