Speculation: Leafs looking for a trade: Timashov, Harpur, Bracco made available

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
no problem, just don't see a lot of value in any of the three pieces.

I would use bracco for cap relief.
It's never a good idea to use a good prospect for cap relief. You use him to improve the team.
This is not some 28 year old. Thankfully I think our GM is smarter.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I think they would do Harpur a favour to just try and find a team to get him some playing time. He's not anywhere close to an NHL player & it says a lot that Kivihalme, Marincin & Liljegren all get call ups and he's not even consideration.

Unless a team can take a contract, I would guess that the Leafs are looking for a decent AHL contract.

It's hard to imagine that Bracco would get to the NHL this season, unless a team is completely out of it. I see that everyone on here want to package him to get an upgrade on defense & I think that's most appropriate.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Timo has been great for a 4th winger. Guy is a hound on the puck. Bodies players in the boards and backchecks. About his only draw back is his size.

I get it we likely have replacements for him but the kid has been solid and I don’t think we are gonna get some huge haul.

Agreed. I'd rather keep him than flip him for a mid to late round pick.

Reactions: stickty111

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Agreed. I'd rather keep him than flip him for a mid to late round pick.
Yeah, I hear ya....I like him lots, but there’s lotsa guys around like him in a similar boat who I feel just as good about. Something’s probably gotta give, and it’s a good practice to keep gathering assets. One knock against him is his waiver eligibility.
For example, I’m fine with Agostino in a (Tima’s) fourth line role, if it means gathering another asset rather than losing one for free.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Timo has been great for a 4th winger. Guy is a hound on the puck. Bodies players in the boards and backchecks. About his only draw back is his size.

I get it we likely have replacements for him but the kid has been solid and I don’t think we are gonna get some huge haul.

Still would prefer a guy on the 4th line with some PK abilities.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I would be very very careful before we trade Bracco. Clutch guys like him with championship histories are very very hard to find. One injury to Willy or Marner and we need him.

He is so far down the depth chart that we can hardly see him...Brooks, Aberg, Petan, Agostino and depending on the role dare i say Marchment and Korshkov are more likely to be recalled than Bracco. That is a whole lot of bodies to be jumped and that is with Johnsson, Ilya, and Moore injured.

If Keefe liked him as a player he would have been up already.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
That's not a haul that will bring in NHL ready players. Those are pieces (excluding Harpur lol) you package with guys like AJ to get a deal done.

If it's not a package deal for a useful NHLer I'd rather keep Timashov.

Don't personally care for Bracco. Would be down to swap him (edit- if it was 1 for 1) for a defensive project with good upside that might find their game with the Marlies. They'll have spots open when Sandin and Liljegren make the jump.

Last edited:

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Would rather keep Timashov. Guy is great energy and hustle on the 4th line. Can play up on the 3rd if needed. Bracco can go. He’s shown himself to be valuable, but he’s redundant on this squad.

Yeah.

This sums up what people really mean when they say Bracco can go. They don't actually dislike the guy but he's not a necessity here. His value is better served in a package deal for defensive help.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Yeah.

This sums up what people really mean when they say Bracco can go. They don't actually dislike the guy but he's not a necessity here. His value is better served in a package deal for defensive help.

exactly. Wasn't a fan of him in the beginning, as he had so much work to do, and seemed not to care to do it. Then he flipped the page, and became a hard working guy, to go along with his skill. It’s just that now that he’s arrived, the timing sucks for him being a Leaf. He can, however, help to add a useful piece that can make our big club better.

I hope to see him succeed wherever he plays.

Reactions: Havoc

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
Ben Harpur - not an NHL defenseman. His impacts have been horrifying in his 103 game NHL career, and there is a reason that he hasn't touched the ice with the Leafs this season. That being said, he somehow made his way into over 100 NHL games by age 25, and is 6'6", so I wouldn't be shocked if a few of the old school GMs out there were interested in acquiring him, even if it isn't necessarily a prudent move to make. If we can get something positive for him, it's absolutely a win, because the Leafs aren't going to be using him anytime soon, he's far down the depth chart, and for good reason.

Jeremy Bracco - this one makes sense, and has been speculated for a long time. If there's a time to trade the guy, it is this season. At age 22, he's progressed every year in the AHL, and last year proved that he's done all he can do at that level. The fact of the matter is, his value will never be higher than it is now, with his current age, contract, and recent production & numbers. He is a great player, and in the right situation on the right team, I believe he has the potential to be an impact NHLer. The problem is that his skating just isn't up to snuff for the NHL level, and on a team like the Leafs, who already have Marner & Nylander on the right side, and aren't lacking in talented guys to man their PP units...a slow skating, cerebral, smallish right winger isn't likely to be called up for 4th line duty anytime soon.

Dmytro Timashov - makes a little less sense to me. Totally, he's an expendable asset in the sense that we have a lot of guys who can do what he's doing, at, or near, the same level. In a perfectly healthy world, he's probably not even in the lineup anyways most nights. So I get why he would be available in that sense, but I'm not sure why Toronto would be shopping him? He's 23, very cheap on a cap-strapped team, is pretty solid in all areas, and despite struggling under tough usage during Babcock's time, he's started to flourish and find an offensive game under Keefe. So again, I'd be totally willing to trade him, but he's a good player who fits with the vision & style of this team well, so it's odd to me that he specifically has been made "available".

All together, this isn't a huge package. Realistically, Harpur shouldn't be worth any assets, and while Bracco & Timashov are a pair of young wingers with bottom six talent, neither is a top level prospect likely to bring in any huge return. If anything, I could see all three of them being pieces in part of a larger deal. We'll see though. Dubas has never failed to surprise with the trades he can pull off.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Before Mikheyev got injured I'd have liked to see Johnsson and Bracco* packaged for a top 4 D, now I'm not so sure.

(*I know very little about Bracco, so I'm not putting him in down in any way. It just seems like there isn't a place for him on the roster, so a move could make sense.)

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

You were saying? Dubas seems to value him a lot as prospect to not use him for cap relief.

You can ask whatever you want.

Until a deal is done ... it's all virtual fantasy.

Petan 2017-2018, 22 years old, 52 games, 52 points.

If Leafs didn't have marner, maybe Bracco gets a try-out.

I hope he's worth a 1st. round pick.

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
For me, it makes less sense to deal guys like Bracco and Timashov because you kind of want them around when you trade guys like Johnsson. Presumably for a better return and cap relief. Don’t want to start playing organizational Jenga with an trade deficit of picks and prospects.

horner

May 22, 2007
It's never a good idea to use a good prospect for cap relief. You use him to improve the team.
This is not some 28 year old. Thankfully I think our GM is smarter.

The problem is we have no cap space.
And we need to improve our defence.

We can't keep all our shiny toys.

Johnson Kappy kerfoot Barrie Ceci
Two of these players need to be moved to improve our d and backup goaltending.

Hutchinson is fine for a backup but if Anderson goes down we need someone better.

And the way we play giveaways giveaways and more giveaways we need a top quality backup.

We need a couple of dman that know how to play air tight defence at least strong on the puck and knows how to play a 2 on 1 lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad