Speculation: Leafs looking for a trade: Timashov, Harpur, Bracco made available

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I kind of get it for Tima. At best case scenario with the Leafs he ends up a 4th line guy, likely wouldnt crack the top 9, at least not this season anyways.

It gets tough with him with all of the other guys coming up too. It will always be a battle for him and really, he does deserve a more concrete role in the NHL based on his play.

He and Moore also play very similar roles and have similar skill levels. It's funny, both kind of exploded out of nowhere. They always had skill but consistency was always an issue until it finally just clicked one day. After that, they went from fringy long shots to legit prospects. Good for them and good for the Leafs.

Eye Test

End the soft perimeter hockey.
Apr 13, 2019
Toronto
Bracco's value is an interesting case to me. Kid's got great production in the AHL and that could still mean NHL scoring upside, but because he is a small one dimensional scoring winger I just can't see any team offering big value on him until he's proven he can do it in the NHL. Look no further than our own Nic Petan, who is a classic AAAA player and just can't hack it to score in the NHL or bring enough elsewhere to stick. It's clear that he really isn't going to get a shot here and I'm fine with that, but I would be surprised if we got real value out of him. I guess the upside means that he'll be a good sweetener in a trade, but I just cannot see us getting a quality player or pick in a 1 for 1 scenario.

I doubt Timashov is moved any time soon. He may be on the outside looking in when we're healthy, but we haven't been healthy and there's no reason to give up a good depth player like him. Now that Soup is out for most of the year, Timashov is here to stay IMO. Move him in the summer or next pre-season for a cheap pick, but we need to hoard our depth whenever we can.

Not really interested in trading Kappy unless the return is unreal. He really doesn't click with our top two centres and that's a bummer, but he is the perfect bottom six'er. His speed makes any random collection of scrubs a threat, he's a PK workhorse, and he actually drives play when he's on those scrappy third lines. Throw in his knack for clutch goals and I think Kapanen is absolutely the kind of player that the Maple Leafs want to have in the playoffs. He's not gonna drop the gloves, but he's still a mouthy little bastard and not afraid to get greasy. Considering just how much we've blasted various members of the team for not caring this year, I'd say Kappy is one of the guys immune to that criticism. He has games where he's lost and ineffective, but he's always working hard. As far as I'm concerned, Kappy has earned his Maple Leaf and I wouldn't trade him unless the return was astounding.

I still think that Johnsson has a lot more to bring on the scoresheet, but he's probably the guy I consider expendable right now.

+1

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
I would be very very careful before we trade Bracco. Clutch guys like him with championship histories are very very hard to find. One injury to Willy or Marner and we need him.
Bracco at best will be Kyle Wellwood. He won't every be a player on the Leafs if he continues to be one dimensional and the 14 people ahead of him are likely not going anywhere.

Reactions: 67leafs

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Bracco at best will be Kyle Wellwood. He won't every be a player on the Leafs if he continues to be one dimensional and the 14 people ahead of him are likely not going anywhere.
It would take some tinkering to construct a revised Leaf lineup which could include Jeremy. Given CAP and existing personnel I doubt Dubie will even try. We already have enough risk with a top heavy forward CAP construction. My point is once we lose Jeremy we have very little skill left as backup. I would rather keep him as insurance in minors this season and then make a move in summer to reconstruct our defense. If we lost Willy/Mitch for a year to a serious injury then having Jeremy is critical. He could fill in and we don't miss a step.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Doesn't Edmonton needs some offense on the wing? Nurse might be a good target for us. Johnsson and Dermott plus Harpur or Bracco might get their attention. None of Timashov,Bracco or Harpur by themselves would get you much. That prospect cupboard sure looks barren once you take them out.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
It would take some tinkering to construct a revised Leaf lineup which could include Jeremy. Given CAP and existing personnel I doubt Dubie will even try. We already have enough risk with a top heavy forward CAP construction. My point is once we lose Jeremy we have very little skill left as backup. I would rather keep him as insurance in minors this season and then make a move in summer to reconstruct our defense. If we lost Willy/Mitch for a year to a serious injury then having Jeremy is critical. He could fill in and we don't miss a step.

Play him on the 4th. line.

If he can't handle it move him.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Doesn't Edmonton needs some offense on the wing? Nurse might be a good target for us. Johnsson and Dermott plus Harpur or Bracco might get their attention. None of Timashov,Bracco or Harpur by themselves would get you much. That prospect cupboard sure looks barren once you take them out.

I would totally be down with the idea of going after Nurse from EDM. The issue is he will want a massive raise and the question is what type of contract is he looking at. Ideally a 6x6 would be what I would be comfortable with. He prints some much need size and physicality.

If we were to land Nurse it would make Dermott expendable IMO As I think Sandin is ready. Gotta think it would be tight cap wise though.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Not exactly setting him up for success, likely to lower his value if he plays a role that doesnt suit him and struggles.

If there's an injury in our top 9, bring him up - if not, let him lead the Marlies offensively.

Leafs playing Brooks (and to a lesser extent, Marchment) isn't exactly setting him up for success, either...

Brooks has always been successful relying on his offensive talent (WHL point leader one season, and 1 point shy of it the next)... but he's taken the necessary strides to round out his game to be in the NHL conversation. Bracco has yet to do that...

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
They aren't going to sit marner, Nylander, or Kapanen for Bracco.
Of course not and they shouldn't. All I'm saying is if Mitch or Willy get hurt longer term this season then Bracco could fill in so without a playoff blip. Kappy bring totally different skills to team. In summer when signings/roster comes into reality for next year then we will have no choice but to trade him as otherwise we will lose him for free.

Reactions: Jeffrey Pedler

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I have a hard time seeing us making a backup goalie move now, when Hutchinson has looked solid to very good in 3 of his 4 under Keefe.
I feel like if they were gonna replace Hutch, it would've happened 3 weeks ago.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I have a hard time seeing us making a backup goalie move now, when Hutchinson has looked solid to very good in 3 of his 4 under Keefe.
I feel like if they were gonna replace Hutch, it would've happened 3 weeks ago.

I don't necessarily think such a move is imminent. However, Hutchinson is still a pending UFA. Other teams might also be more willing to make moves "now"/closer to the deadline compared to how they felt previously.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
Oilers fanbase say it would take Nylander plus to get Nurse. I know they are all inbreeds but apparently It will take a lot to get him.

Reactions: Kurtz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->