Speculation: Leafs looking for a trade: Timashov, Harpur, Bracco made available

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
They need to keep Timashov :(

He plays with heart and out of the leafs bottom six is the most physical player (yes, that includes the two 6'5 giraffe brahs). Also good at keeping a cycle going in the offensive zone. Also has decent unpolished skill that he hasn't had much of a chance to display or work on in a 4th line role.

Trading him would be a classic sell low type of move.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
The packages I would look to move would be centered around Kapanen (have been reported as having surprisingly high value on the market) or Johnsson+Bracco.

I think we could replace them rather easily, especially the latter.

Reactions: Eye Test and Jmo89

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I'm still saying trade Willy, esp now that he has put together a good string of high level play.

For a real, proven #1.5 defenseman. A salary retained Doughty. Pietrangelo with an 8 year extension. Can't think of anyone else off the top of my head but I'm sure deals are out there.

You gotta give to get but get quality, please!
Pietrangelo isn't available. Doughty is not a #1.5 guy anymore, he's more of a #3-4 with a huge contract.

The problem with a Willy trade is the same as it's always been, the guys that are worth moving him for are not available. There's no young Jones out there for us to nab.

Reactions: Leafblooded

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
They need to keep Timashov :(

He plays with heart and out of the leafs bottom six is the most physical player (yes, that includes the two 6'5 giraffe brahs). Also good at keeping a cycle going in the offensive zone. Also has decent unpolished skill that he hasn't had much of a chance to display or work on in a 4th line role.

Trading him would be a classic sell low type of move.

Hes basically a Trevor Moore clone. They can be found in free agency if you really, really need one, for minimal dollars.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Bracco's value is an interesting case to me. Kid's got great production in the AHL and that could still mean NHL scoring upside, but because he is a small one dimensional scoring winger I just can't see any team offering big value on him until he's proven he can do it in the NHL. Look no further than our own Nic Petan, who is a classic AAAA player and just can't hack it to score in the NHL or bring enough elsewhere to stick. It's clear that he really isn't going to get a shot here and I'm fine with that, but I would be surprised if we got real value out of him. I guess the upside means that he'll be a good sweetener in a trade, but I just cannot see us getting a quality player or pick in a 1 for 1 scenario.

I doubt Timashov is moved any time soon. He may be on the outside looking in when we're healthy, but we haven't been healthy and there's no reason to give up a good depth player like him. Now that Soup is out for most of the year, Timashov is here to stay IMO. Move him in the summer or next pre-season for a cheap pick, but we need to hoard our depth whenever we can.

Not really interested in trading Kappy unless the return is unreal. He really doesn't click with our top two centres and that's a bummer, but he is the perfect bottom six'er. His speed makes any random collection of scrubs a threat, he's a PK workhorse, and he actually drives play when he's on those scrappy third lines. Throw in his knack for clutch goals and I think Kapanen is absolutely the kind of player that the Maple Leafs want to have in the playoffs. He's not gonna drop the gloves, but he's still a mouthy little bastard and not afraid to get greasy. Considering just how much we've blasted various members of the team for not caring this year, I'd say Kappy is one of the guys immune to that criticism. He has games where he's lost and ineffective, but he's always working hard. As far as I'm concerned, Kappy has earned his Maple Leaf and I wouldn't trade him unless the return was astounding.

I still think that Johnsson has a lot more to bring on the scoresheet, but he's probably the guy I consider expendable right now.

Reactions: Eye Test

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I'm still saying trade Willy, esp now that he has put together a good string of high level play.

For a real, proven #1.5 defenseman. A salary retained Doughty. Pietrangelo with an 8 year extension. Can't think of anyone else off the top of my head but I'm sure deals are out there.

You gotta give to get but get quality, please!
You aren't getting a Norris caliber dman for our 4th best forward. The odds are a lot better getting Pietrangelo this summer and dealing Nylander, which also wont happen. If I'm dealing Nylander right now, I'm looking at Carolina. That's the best bet. The most likely scenario though is Kap/Johnsson for a #3/#4. Hopefully cheap and with term. Bracco may need to be included to get a dman under 25.

Reactions: Leafblooded

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
You aren't getting a Norris caliber dman for our 4th best forward. The odds are a lot better getting Pietrangelo this summer and dealing Nylander, which also wont happen. If I'm dealing Nylander right now, I'm looking at Carolina. That's the best bet. The most likely scenario though is Kap/Johnsson for a #3/#4. Hopefully cheap and with term. Bracco may need to be included to get a dman under 25.
I'm against dealing nylander period, but do deal him in our conference seems like an even worse idea.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Can’t see Bracco bringing a 2nd rounder.
Why not? He has more of a chance of making a teams roster than an undeveloped potential... potential.
I don't think Bracco not making our team is an indication that hes bad, rather it shows how good and deep our winger position is.

Reactions: al secord

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
The packages I would look to move would be centered around Kapanen (have been reported as having surprisingly high value on the market) or Johnsson+Bracco.

I think we could replace them rather easily, especially the latter.

Im on board with a Johnsson and Bracco package. Maybe a few small pieces sprinkled in on both sides, but I think it could net a decent dman. Obviously not top pairing, but someone solid.

Reactions: Nylander88

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Please correct me if I'm wrong -- I thought Bracco had three goals in the AHL by Christmas.

That coupled with a bunch of assists gets you something of value?

I wouldn't really know, but I'm skeptical to say the least. It looks like a fistful of magic beans to me.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Why not? He has more of a chance of making a teams roster than an undeveloped potential... potential.
I don't think Bracco not making our team is an indication that hes bad, rather it shows how good and deep our winger position is.
I think it might possibly be an indication that he's a 5'9" 162 pound winger with three goals and 26 assists in the first half of his third AHL season.

I really don't know much about this player, but that sounds more like the profile of a career minor-leaguer than an NHL call-up to me.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Seems like what is being said is there a bigger piece involved in a bigger trade where Bracco would get added to. Lots of room for interpretation, but it does seem to say that Bracco is not the big piece.

And then you have to wonder what "some people are wondering" really means. That's kind of obtuse - maybe someone is speculating?

Sort of like the Muzzin trade where Leafs tossed in their 1st own and then a pair of former 2nd round prospects in Grundstrom and Durzi ..

Bracco is a former late 2nd also, that would be the add-on/toss in to complete at bigger potential trade.

Leafs traded out of the 1st round for extra picks to draft Bracco originally, and it was Dubas that made the trade as interim GM, so him placing a higher value on him then the market would bare makes sense from that aspect.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I'm against dealing nylander period, but do deal him in our conference seems like an even worse idea.
Well if you're that paranoid about trading him, it doesnt surprise me that you wouldn't want him in the East. Trading Nylander isnt the best scenario, dont get me wrong. But he may be the best trade chip we have to get a top-level team.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I think it might possibly be an indication that he's a 5'9" 162 pound winger with three goals and 26 assists in the first half of his third AHL season.

I really don't know much about this player, but that sounds more like the profile of a career minor-leaguer than an NHL call-up to me.
Are you thinking about Robertson for his size? Bracco is 5'11" 185lbs.
His production is down this year but he is a playmaker so his goals will always be lower.
There are teams that would love a playmaking winger on their roster. It sells on the potential.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Well if you're that paranoid about trading him, it doesnt surprise me that you wouldn't want him in the East. Trading Nylander isnt the best scenario, dont get me wrong. But he may be the best trade chip we have to get a top-level team.
He would be a great piece in terms of return, but would it be a plus or a minus too the team?
Thw way our team is set, Nylander out would be a huge hole vs say Kapanen + out

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Based on the language from Friedman, it seems as though all three players have asked for a change of scenery more than the Leafs actually shopping them.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
He would be a great piece in terms of return, but would it be a plus or a minus too the team?
Thw way our team is set, Nylander out would be a huge hole vs say Kapanen + out
It really depends on the return. If you arent getting back a significant dman then it makes no sense for us. You're plugging one hole and creating another.

Reactions: saltming

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Please correct me if I'm wrong -- I thought Bracco had three goals in the AHL by Christmas.

That coupled with a bunch of assists gets you something of value?

I wouldn't really know, but I'm skeptical to say the least. It looks like a fistful of magic beans to me.

We know Babcock wasn't a fan of all these small forwards the Leafs kept drafting, but you have to think Keefe who coached Bracco, and now in charge with the Leafs bench has also signed off that its okay for Dubas to move out these small forwards like Bracco, Timashov and Petan as we have seen Keefe utilization of Engvall and Mikheyev (before injury) preferring those bigger heavy forwards at the NHL level also. Leafs now looking to replace Mikheyev in their top 6-9 forwards.

That turns these players into trade chips to get something better and more useful to the Leafs team.

I could see a Andreas Johnsson/Kapanen off the roster + toss in like Bracco to return value like in a package for a powerforward like Chris Kreider from NYR.. Then Krieider joining the Matthews line on LW were AJ/KK use to play.

Kreider --- Matthews -- Marner
Hyman -- Tavares -- Nylander

Last edited:
Reactions: Ciao

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
It really depends on the return. If you arent getting back a significant dman then it makes no sense for us. You're plugging one hole and creating another.
Imo I think the defense needs to be sorted in the offseason. It really depends on things like will we decide or can we re-sign Muzzin or Barrie? Can Lilegren and or Sandin make the jump? What free wallets can they grab?
To trade a player of Nylanders level will create a hole and yes it might patch another one, but that patch might be accomplished without creating the other, otherwise it's still a leaky boat

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
We know Babcock wasn't a fan of all these small forwards the Leafs kept drafting, but you have to think Keefe who coached Bracco, and now in charge with the Leafs bench has also signed off that its okay for Dubas to move out these small forwards like Bracco, Timashov and Petan as we have seen Keefe utilization of Engvall and Mikheyev (before injury) preferring those bigger heavy forwards at the NHL level also. Leafs now looking to replace Mikheyev in their top 6-9 forwards.

That turns these players into trade chips to get something better and more useful to the Leafs team.

I could see a Andreas Johnsson/Kapanen off the roster + toss in like Bracco to return value like in a package for a powerforward like Chris Kreider from NYR.. Then Krieider joining the Matthews line on LW were AJ/KK use to play.

Kreider --- Matthews -- Marner
Hyman -- Tavares -- Nylander

I've been wanting Kreider since last off-season but he seems to be a top trade deadline target, and it might be too expensive to acquire him.

I would also be exploring Saad from Chicago as he's at least signed for an additional year after this. Issue with that is the cap space he'll require.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Bracco definitely has some good value right now. A team can test him out at the NHL this season and then stash back in the AHL for a Calder cup run. He would be one of the better forward prospects of a lot of teams out there and he's NHL ready.

If Dubas can package Bracco and Ceci together, and maybe another piece, for a better defenseman --- this would be really really beneficial. Teams taking back Ceci can sell him off at the deadline for pick(s) or use him as a place holder for a tank job.

It's a darn shame PK Subban is way too expensive because I think he'd be target #1 to go after. Leafs apparently were close to trading for him this past off-season.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I've been wanting Kreider since last off-season but he seems to be a top trade deadline target, and it might be too expensive to acquire him.

I would also be exploring Saad from Chicago as he's at least signed for an additional year after this. Issue with that is the cap space he'll require.

Saad has a $6 mil ticket for next year and I could see that being a real cap problem, as it would really put a crunch on resigning either of Barrie or Muzz. You'd essentially have to move out 2 of 3 of AJ/Kap/Kerfoot to create that cap room.

So for me that makes Kreider at $4.65 mil and a pending UFA the easier and better fit as a trade target right now.. Agreed his price is high, but that is in part because of his demand is also high because he would be an excellent addition for a playoff team. Hate to see him end up in Boston and playing against us as opposed to with us against them. :)

Bracco is a NY born kid from long Island so NYR or NYI would send him closer to home and friends and family. A rebuilding NYR team would looking for younger talent like a Kapanen and Bracco in return for Krieder. IMO

Last edited:

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Sort of like the Muzzin trade where Leafs tossed in their 1st own and then a pair of former 2nd round prospects in Grundstrom and Durzi ..

Bracco is a former late 2nd also, that would be the add-on/toss in to complete at bigger potential trade.

Leafs traded out of the 1st round for extra picks to draft Bracco originally, and it was Dubas that made the trade as interim GM, so him placing a higher value on him then the market would bare makes sense from that aspect.

Well, I guess there are rebuilding teams that want futures. We don't have our 1st this year, and not sure if we are willing to give our 2021 1st as well.

The burning question is which teams are willing to trade a dollar (e.g., a top 4 RD) for three quarters.

After looking at the free agent RDs that will become available this summer, there's not that much after Pietrangelo from what I recall unless we are interested in Justin Schultz (current contract = $5.5 m), Sami Vatanen (current contract $4.875) or Hamonic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad