Kyle Dubas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I got to admit, looks like Dbas has made his 1st big blunder as the Leaf GM, WN will NEVER live up to that contract and possibly is untradeable now?

No..he gets 17 million of his contract by July 1st, so he’s very tradable.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Calle Rosen looks very good. Liljegren will get a shot.

Both are unproven

I tend to be someone that favors playing and developing youth but were going to be very young on the backend next season, it's a risk

That 6.25M would be very useful getting at least 1 more quality defenseman like Gardiner to help protect the other guys

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Not disputing your opinion.
Valid points.
Guys like that do exist.
Gallagher/Marchand/Trouba/Jenner/Byfuglien/Manson/etc...
Sadly they are hard to find.
And
Pretty sure wonder boy didn't trade for Anderson/bring in Babcock or manipulate the ping pong balls to get Matthews.
He hasn't done anything yet.
You think 91 only came here because wonder boy was GM?
Please. Terrible GM. Schooled by Nylander camp with worse ahead.
Can't wait until he gets fired.

I read quotes , watched video and listened to radio clips that all indicate Dubas was instrumental in the pitch to Tavares. I’d say he had some influence.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Both are unproven

I tend to be someone that favors playing and developing youth but were going to be very young on the backend next season, it's a risk

That 6.25M would be very useful getting at least 1 more quality defenseman like Gardiner to help protect the other guys
And that's fine. You have to have that in a cap world. People were complaining in the Islanders game we were missing Martin and Leo. You can't have those 2 guys making 5-6 million. We are going to fill our roster with good young, cheap Marlies and pay a lot for our core stars.

It worked greatly this year.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
And that's fine. You have to have that in a cap world. People were complaining in the Islanders game we were missing Martin and Leo. You can't have those 2 guys making 5-6 million. We are going to fill our roster with good young, cheap Marlies and pay a lot for our core stars.

Good teams overpay their stars, bad teams overpay their depth imo.

Reactions: garce

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

It has but we've got more guys to insulate them this season, the Dermott, Ozhiganov, Sparks, Moore, Gauthier types are filling depth roles rather than being relied on to play major roles

Asking young guys off the Marlies to do that from the get go is going to be some tough sledding, especially early on and if we get injuries

I like Marleau, he seems like a great team man but that last year on his contract sucks

beleaf101

Aug 9, 2009
Marleau has 4 points in the same time frame. I'm not dumb enough to put much stock into 10 game samples though.

The original post that l responded to was Willy would be a better player than Marleau. Marleau had a career Willy can only dream about.

I hope Willy has a hall of fame career. As far as his hold out there's lots of blame on all sides for that. Should've been done by training camp.

One thing l would be cautious about paying young players lots of money early in there career is they might think they made it because they got paid.

Some team is going to holding the bag for paying to much to early l hope it's not Leafs and Willy.

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
Fair point. I happen to think JT was coming home regardless.
To elaborate just a little.
Kadri-not Dubas
Nylander-not Dubas
Rielly-not Dubas
Anderson-not Dubas
Kappy-not Dubas
Matthews-not Dubas
Dermott-not Dubas
Etc...
I hope he brings us a cup.
I hate his thought process on what ( if any ) part toughness plays in building a Champion.
We shall see.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Dubas has done a credible job thus far. My only issue with him is that he tends to let his morals govern the way he conducts business. While that is an admirable trait, I would prefer if he considers what is in the best interest of the team at all times, even if it means he has to be a bit ruthless (eg. Masai Ujiri).

I think signing JT at his cap hit was a homerun. I think signing Nylander at his cap hit before December 1st was a good move in the long run.

However, I think his loyalty to Sparks because of his affiliation with the Marlies led him to make a bad decision at the start of the season which has weakened our goaltending depth considerably. I think trading Leivo for an AHL forward was terrible asset management, and in retrospect, Leivo would have had plenty of opportunities to stay in the lineup due to injuries, which are inevitable over the course of a season. And last but certainly not least, I think making a verbal promise to Nylander that he would not be traded was completely unecessary, and could end up costing us a significant asset like Kapanen in the not so distant future, which would be unforgivable in my opinion.

Team sport needs run like a Military. The GM should never be dictated to by a player or coach. The decisions should all be calculated and cold. There is no rewards for letting people go for peanuts when they are good because a coach dislikes them. The GM should tell the coach how it's going to go down. Personally I think Dubas is more of a beta personality and Babcock the Alpha. I don't think Kyle was ready for command.

The Nylander contract negotiation timeline is proof.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Fair point. I happen to think JT was coming home regardless.
To elaborate just a little.
Kadri-not Dubas
Nylander-not Dubas
Rielly-not Dubas
Anderson-not Dubas
Kappy-not Dubas
Matthews-not Dubas
Dermott-not Dubas
Etc...
I hope he brings us a cup.
I hate his thought process on what ( if any ) part toughness plays in building a Champion.
We shall see.

I think his vision of building a Cup winner is somewhat misguided as well. I hope the league doesn’t go completely like the NCAA. That hockey is absolutely horrible to watch.

Reactions: FraumBallard

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
I get the feeling some people don't like Dubas cause of his age but can't get themselves to admit it.

Like we get it, he's half the age you guys are and he's the GM of the Leafs who are having one of the best seasons ever.
Just enjoy the ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad