Kyle Dubas

Status
Not open for further replies.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I created a thread something I rarely do and I ripped on Dubas as he had said far to many statement of absolute and this is the worse one yet. The man is an idiot and has proven him self not that good at his job. For a man who every one on here called smart he sure is stupid.

He needs to shut his pie hole and do his job. His start as a GM has been less than average. People give him credit for JT I do not as he was coming home. He made promises to JT that he will not be able to keep and it continues with promises to Nylander.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
The message from Dubas has been consistent since taking office. He plans to keep the young forward core together, he intends to sign them all and build a long-term contender around them.

It's not just something he said to Willy at the end of the negotiations. It's been a consistent message to everyone.

That doesn't bother me personally, I think the likelihood of a good Nylander trade is low enough to not be worked up about that particular door closing, but I understand those that don't agree with the hard stance. But let's not pretend that Dubas doesn't really mean it, or intend to follow through.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
I created a thread something I rarely do and I ripped on Dubas as he had said far to many statement of absolute and this is the worse one yet. The man is an idiot and has proven him self not that good at his job. For a man who every one on here called smart he sure is stupid.

He needs to shut his pie hole and do his job. His start as a GM has been less than average. People give him credit for JT I do not as he was coming home. He made promises to JT that he will not be able to keep and it continues with promises to Nylander.

Does it really matter what he said? People say things all the time, he has no obligation to Nylander, he can trade him anytime. Nylander came out and said Dubas promised not to trade him, what do you expect Dubas to say at that point. Its all lip service and means nothing. Saying Dubas is stupid is childish and absurd.

Reactions: egd27 and SAMCRO44

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
The message from Dubas has been consistent since taking office. He plans to keep the young forward core together, he intends to sign them all and build a long-term contender around them.

It's not just something he said to Willy at the end of the negotiations. It's been a consistent message to everyone.

That doesn't bother me personally, I think the likelihood of a good Nylander trade is low enough to not be worked up about that particular door closing, but I understand those that don't agree with the hard stance. But let's not pretend that Dubas doesn't really mean it, or intend to follow through.

I really hope he doesn't mean it myself and the possibility that he might mean it is quite scary. Intending to do whatever is one thing, handing out NTC's for free is another. Making this promise was a clear mistake, either he's bound to a promise he should have never made or his word means nothing any more once he breaks the promise which is obviously not a good thing. And the most absurd thing is that he promised not only to not trade him for the duration of this contract, but promised to NEVER trade him. That's just crazy and Dubas really needs to learn how to keep his mouth shut. JMHO.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Does it really matter what he said? People say things all the time, he has no obligation to Nylander, he can trade him anytime. Nylander came out and said Dubas promised not to trade him, what do you expect Dubas to say at that point. Its all lip service and means nothing. Saying Dubas is stupid is childish and absurd.

Does it matter what he said? Simple answer is yes, of course it does. Unless you don't think credibility matters?

I would stop short of calling Dubas stupid myself, I'll just say he did a stupid thing and hopefully he learns from it.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I really hope he doesn't mean it myself and the possibility that he might mean it is quite scary. Intending to do whatever is one thing, handing out NTC's for free is another. Making this promise was a clear mistake, either he's bound to a promise he should have never made or his word means nothing any more once he breaks the promise which is obviously not a good thing. And the most absurd thing is that he promised not only to not trade him for the duration of this contract, but promised to NEVER trade him. That's just crazy and Dubas really needs to learn how to keep his mouth shut. JMHO.
I know, and I understand your position. I just think it's a promise to do something that: 1) you rarely ever see done, 2) would be extremely unlikely to benefit us anyway. The track record for young forwards of that caliber being traded is both small and horrendous. But I understand why you wouldn't want him to make promises like that either way.

Reactions: IBeL34f

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I know, and I understand your position. I just think it's a promise to do something that: 1) you rarely ever see done, 2) would be extremely unlikely to benefit us anyway. The track record for young forwards of that caliber being traded is both small and horrendous. But I understand why you wouldn't want him to make promises like that either way.

I agree that it rarely is a good idea to trade young forwards of that calibre. On the other hand, if a team was ever in a position where it may well be a good idea it's us. He may be only our 4th best forward and we're in need of defence etc. And even if he's a Leaf for the next 10 years, then he's not young anymore is he and that's what's just so over the top for me, promising to not trade him during this contract wasn't enough no, he had to go even further.

I get what you're saying too and you know I respect your views. We can argue about how big a mistake this was or wasn't, all I know for sure at this point is that it was a mistake, that much is clear. I've been super high on Dubas and I'm disappointed that he would make such a clear cut mistake so early on the job. It's a bit scary and I really hope he's not arrogant enough to not understand by now that it was a mistake.

What can I say. I hope Nylander plays like a demon in the playoffs, Liljegren is called up and plays well, Dermott excels and is an established top 4 by seasons end and Sandin plays lights out and is ready to step in next season. If all that happens then we're good, it's a lot to hope for though. There are a ton of scenarios far more likely IMO that will keep this promise Dubas made on the front burner for a long time to come.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Does it matter what he said? Simple answer is yes, of course it does. Unless you don't think credibility matters?

I would stop short of calling Dubas stupid myself, I'll just say he did a stupid thing and hopefully he learns from it.

Credibility matters to a certain point, but in this case I don't think it applies. I mean, if the right deal came along he would be crazy not to trade him. This is a business, and sometimes things get said just to get said, I would be more disappointed if Dubas stuck to his word rather than getting a good return should a trade be offered.

Reactions: Confucius

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
A promise is only as important as the person it's promised to. Things change all the time. Maybe Willie is the one that wants to opt out on the promise and decides he wants to be the man on his own team at point Dubas' promise won't matter. Also the blowhard Burke has repeatedly told the story of him promising a player early in hiscareer he wouldn't trade him to get him signed only to trade the player a few days later. It didn't ruin his credibility.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Credibility matters to a certain point, but in this case I don't think it applies. I mean, if the right deal came along he would be crazy not to trade him. This is a business, and sometimes things get said just to get said, I would be more disappointed if Dubas stuck to his word rather than getting a good return should a trade be offered.

I agree. I fear though that Dubas won't want to break his promise. Not that he'll necessarily stick to it but I think it may be in the back of his mind that he'd just rather not trade him unless it's really super clear that it has to be done. It's all speculation of course as we can't possibly know what Dubas is thinking but it's a bit scary to think about. If the promise affects his thinking at all it's obviously not a good thing.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA

"Perhaps I shouldn't have used the words that I did. That being said, things change over time and where we were in December of 2018 is not where we are today. Given our present circumstances, we felt it was best for both the organization and the player that we make this move."

Simple.....and there are much better PR people out there than me.

Reactions: 4thline

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

He painted himself into a tight corner now and a position of damned if he does or damned if he doesn't trade Nylander after publicly stating "as long as I'm GM, he doesn't intend to trade him".

You covered both sides of that dilemma quite well here, other than perhaps acknowledging that once he broke his word and would trade Nylander if the right trade came along as any good GM should, nobody would ever take Dubas at his word again. Not in contract talks with players or agents, not in the media or news conferences etc.

It was a rookie mistake to give Nylander a verbal NTC and then tell everyone that he did so, disclosing private behind close door discussions. The first thing Nylander did after signing his new deal was to tell everyone publicly what Dubas promised him, and locking that in permanently when Dubas was confronted and confirmed it.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Also the blowhard Burke has repeatedly told the story of him promising a player early in hiscareer he wouldn't trade him to get him signed only to trade the player a few days later. It didn't ruin his credibility.

I haven't heard the story, I'd be interested to know how comparable this was (my guess is that our situation has a much higher profile). What happened?

"Perhaps I shouldn't have used the words that I did. That being said, things change over time and where we were in December of 2018 is not where we are today. Given our present circumstances, we felt it was best for both the organization and the player that we make this move."

Oh I agree, spinning isn't a problem, happens all the time. My only worry is that if Dubas wants to keep his word and that affects his thinking even just a little bit, that would be bad.

Just forget what you promised Kyle, pretend it never happened and if you trade him, we'll spin it when the time comes. That would be my advice.

Reactions: egd27

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

Bingo, this is the definition of making a mountain out of a molehill. With every passing month it becomes less of an issue. Problematic if the potential trade/no trade decision was this summer, but if he trades him after year 5 the only people that care will be shit disturbing media and fans.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
He never said that. He said he did not “intend” to trade Nylander.
Just to keep the chronology straight. Nylander came out and said Dubas promised him he would never be traded while he was GM. This comment created quite a stir. Kyle then addressed the media, and was visibly uncomfortable when asked, he then responded with the massaged language you've mentioned...or as I call it "damage control".

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Inexperienced might be a better description. Don’t know about everyone but he’s helluva lot smarter than I was at his age.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
We really can't afford to trade Willy.

We have only 4 legit top-6 wingers.

We can expect our prospects to replace the likes of Marleau/Hyman/Brown, but we don't have the prospects to replace the likes of Marner/Willy/Kappy/Johnsson.

Reactions: Blue Nate

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Bingo, this is the definition of making a mountain out of a molehill. With every passing month it becomes less of an issue. Problematic if the potential trade/no trade decision was this summer, but if he trades him after year 5 the only people that care will be **** disturbing media and fans.

I'd guess that if Nylander were traded between now and the end of his current contract, this summer would be the most likely time for it to happen.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
We really can't afford to trade Willy.

We have only 4 legit top-6 wingers.

We can expect our prospects to replace the likes of Marleau/Hyman/Brown, but we don't have the prospects to replace the likes of Marner/Willy/Kappy/Johnsson.

Hyman is in a top 6 role so we don't have enough top 6 spots for all those guys anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad