Kyle Dubas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
I got to admit, looks like Dbas has made his 1st big blunder as the Leaf GM, WN will NEVER live up to that contract and possibly is untradeable now?

The problem is he won't get the ice time and opportunities here that he'd get elsewhere because our team is so deep. The Tavares signing is a pretty big hit on the potential to boost Willy's trade value.

What would you have done though? Let him sit? Trade him for less than he's worth? Dubas was in a lose-lose situation here.

I also think the Leafs decision to let Willy play those 22 games and burn a year off his ELC was a mistake in hindsight. Obviously having to sign the "big 3" the same summer would suck, and they probably figured he'd have less leverage with only 2 years and a bit under his belt. But I have no doubt Michael/Gross flipped that one around in negotiations and compared Nylander's two full seasons to his comparables' first two seasons (at a younger age).

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
Enjoying having a great team to
watch for sure. I could care less if Billy Bean or Cliff Fletcher was GM. I don't care how old Dubas is. I care that he has largely been gifted sublime talent; and appears to think speed and skill is ALL you need. Those are two very important parts. So is Defence/Goaltending and - Yes - Toughness.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
The problem is he won't get the ice time and opportunities here that he'd get elsewhere because our team is so deep. The Tavares signing is a pretty big hit on the potential to boost Willy's trade value.

What would you have done though? Let him sit? Trade him for less than he's worth? Dubas was in a lose-lose situation here.

I also think the Leafs decision to let Willy play those 22 games and burn a year off his ELC was a mistake in hindsight. Obviously having to sign the "big 3" the same summer would suck, and they probably figured he'd have less leverage with only 2 years and a bit under his belt. But I have no doubt Michael/Gross flipped that one around in negotiations and compared Nylander's two full seasons to his comparables' first two seasons (at a younger age).
He;s going to play wing on the 1st line. Tavares has nothing to do with him. He'll get plenty of opportunities to score 70+ points yearly.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
This is a team that almost won and got outworked by a tougher team twice.

This is your point?

You believe we can outskill the top teams who have grit too?

It looks like you are a glass half empty kind of guy. The Boston series arguably would have went a different way if Kadri didn't get more then he should have.

It was a very young team that lost to two veteran teams who have been thru the playoff wars. The team has grown leaps and bounds since then. Confidence and swagger take time to achieve.

I don't think we will make a cup run this year anyways. Win a round maybe two but next year will be a different story.

Besides.... we didn't have 2 1C's and a 1b C playing our 3rd line during those runs.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
It looks like you are a glass half empty kind of guy. The Boston series arguably would have went a different way if Kadri didn't get more then he should have.

It was a very young team that lost to two veteran teams who have been thru the playoff wars. The team has grown leaps and bounds since then. Confidence and swagger take time to achieve.

I don't think we will make a cup run this year anyways. Win a round maybe two but next year will be a different story.

Besides.... we didn't have 2 1C's and a 1b C playing our 3rd line during those runs.

I’m totally glass half full. Especially on New Years. Set ‘em up boys and pound ‘em back.

Kadri.. repeat offender was lucky to only get 3 games for the chicken shit cheap shot.

If we add toughness... ie grit not fighting... I think we can go a long way. This could be the year.

Cheers and Happy New Year.

Reactions: FraumBallard

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Hope the Hutchinson deal was foreplay before going ahead with a big bang. Leafs team is quite good but has some holes at RD and LW.

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
I am. Thank You for asking.
I have literally never been on
Social media before. Man It's so easy to get into arguments on here. I have no interest in that.
I read you guys/gals cause I follow/read as much as I can concerning the Leafs. I find intellectually lazy people a total waste to converse with. I am totally fine if someone ( or everyone ) thinks I have no clue what I'm talking about.
When a response involves token insults it reflects poorly on the poster.
Anyhow, I have no issue with anyone on here; just different opinions sometimes.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I’m totally glass half full. Especially on New Years. Set ‘em up boys and pound ‘em back.

Kadri.. repeat offender was lucky to only get 3 games for the chicken **** cheap shot.

If we add toughness... ie grit not fighting... I think we can go a long way. This could be the year.

No, your glass is always empty on here. I have NEVER seen you suggest anything positive about the Leafs. Everything is doom and gloom.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
People see what they want to see.

No, I see you only post negative b.s daily and have never once said anything positive about the team.
They are second overall and second in goal diff. You could find something positive just once to say.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
No, I see you only post negative b.s daily and have never once said anything positive about the team.
They are second overall and second in goal diff. You could find something positive just once to say.

Incorrect

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017

Kadri.. repeat offender was lucky to only get 3 games for the chicken **** cheap shot.

Grit like what you are asking for can be given by our current players. It's a lead by example type of play you are after.

It's Matthews laying a heavy hit for once or sticking up for each other in scrums. Most importantly it's sacrificing your body to block shots which is part of how Washington won the cup (50 percent shot block led by Ovechkin)

Lead by example. Sacrifice bodies...stick up for eachother.

Having said that I don't need them shot blocking much during the regular season for risk of injury. Save that stuff for the playoffs. Like washington did.

Reactions: Trawna Phan

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
His work in the OHL was quite impressive, and so has his work in the AHL.

At the NHL level, his off-season saw him deal Phil Kessel for Kasper Kapanen, as well as the pieces for us to acquire Andersen. The retention is blah, but it's not like 1.2M will ever drastically hurt us. And then in free agency, his moves were largely low risk, low money options. So while his lone off-season wasn't an A+, but it was still a solid B. Hunter & Dubas working the draft together in 2015 also worked excellent as well, netting us Marner (when a lot of people didn't want him), Dermott, Bracco, and Timashov. (Nielsen & Lindgren as well, but they are unlikely to be NHL players at this point I think).

As AGM, he's done his job as well as we can know. He put together quiet the team of analytics people very quickly. He also helped put together the sports science department IIRC.

Dubas was also the co-gm when we hired Mike Babcock :sarcasm:

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. Dubas is going to prove to be a terrible GM. You watch and see. He's an analytics whiz kid; big deal.
Brutal.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
The Nylander contract is meh and the promise he made to him is really dumb but if that's the worst thing he's done then I'm OK with it
Did Dubas ever say anything to the media or are we just hearing what Nylander heard ?

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Dubas was obviously just telling that to Willy to get the deal done.

Either way, Nylander probably develops into a player you dont want to trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->