Post-Game Talk: Avs 6 - Jets 3, Avs win Series 4-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I think they have to give either Perfetti or Lambert a real chance to run with the 2C job out of camp
I'd like to see what gus or barron can do as 2C... if it doesn't work no biggie because it's not like the team is lighting up the scoreboard anyway

Its really unfortunate that Trouba didn't want to stay , our defense would be so much better with Trouba and no Pionk .
It was nuts back then when guys were saying how lucky we were to avoid overpaying trouba... and he's paid 2m more a season than pionk

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Some thoughts on the Avs:
Nichushkin extremely good 2-way player. Lehkonen as well was V effective.

All that scouting on Philly the Jets supposedly did.... It it was indeed Sean Walker, his puck moving and passing really stood out positively.

Devon Toews is ridiculously good.

I thought Middlestadt was ok overall. His line was V good with Lehkonen, but individually didn't stand out as much to me.

Ggg99

Sep 17, 2018
Hope everybody has a great summer. Was an incredibly fun year. Really looking forward to some great Bomber football in the sun now!!

Haven't posted lately and lots of thoughts rolling around.

Playoffs aside, that was probably the most entertaining year of Jets hockey that I can remember. But win or lose, I cheer for the Jets, I'm entertained, I'm happy.

I think for the success this year Bones deserves our respect and gratitude as the man who took over a dysfunctional team in 2022 both on the ice and in the locker room and turned them around.

He made the tough decision to remove Wheeler as Captain and anoint Lowry which was key in fixing the leadership group and the room. Then installed a winning defensive system and got the players to buy-in (even the uncoachable ones that inspired Maurice to quit).

Then he leads us to fourth overall in the league this year with 110 points. Huge accomplishment.

Almost a shame we had to participate in the playoffs where the soft underbelly of the Jets core was exposed by a great Avs team. Others have said our core just doesn't have it in them to be successful in the playoffs. I agree. You can't coach intensity, desire and the will to do anything to win AT ALL TIMES in the playoffs. You coach like you always did that brought great success but the on-ice play is up to the players.

Taking shifts off, circling away from contact, losing your man, gliding to the bench, taking lazy/undisciplined penalties just don't cut it in the playoffs. I started to list the main culprits but it's easier just to say the only guys cut out for the playoffs are Lowry, JoMo, Dillon and maybe Names.

So for sure big changes are needed for us to ever go far in the playoffs. McGroarty looks promising as a guy who has what it takes to win in the playoffs. I agree with giving some of our young talent more of a chance next year. But don't kid yourselves. That will be painful too.

And I hope we do get a coaching change. Not because Bones was a bad coach but because he has nothing left to prove and at his age with his wife's health scare, he deserves to retire and enjoy the dough he has earned.

At the end of the day this is Chevy's team. He's joined at the hip with Chipman who wouldn't fire a soul who has history with True North. A new GM would really bring a new direction but doubt we'll see it.

Go Bombers!!

Ggg99

Sep 17, 2018
The Panthers team that won the Presidents Trophy the year before Maurice got there needed Buddy Robinson from the Chicago Blackhawks to fluke out a goal against the Pittsburgh Penguins in Game 82 to even make the playoffs.

Maurice was 1000% getting fired if not for Buddy Robinson.

But thats not the only example. See 2018 and 2019 Jets. 2023 Panthers got blown out in the Finals Losingest coach in history. I could go on.

Here's to you Buddy Robinson.

Some thoughts on the Avs:
Nichushkin extremely good 2-way player. Lehkonen as well was V effective.

All that scouting on Philly the Jets supposedly did.... It it was indeed Sean Walker, his puck moving and passing really stood out positively.

Devon Toews is ridiculously good.

I thought Middlestadt was ok overall. His line was V good with Lehkonen, but individually didn't stand out as much to me.
Nichushkin = Jet Killer
That SOB was freakin great all series.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Hope everybody has a great summer. Was an incredibly fun year. Really looking forward to some great Bomber football in the sun now!!

Playoffs aside, that was probably the most entertaining year of Jets hockey that I can remember. But win or lose, I cheer for the Jets, I'm entertained, I'm happy.

I think for the success this year Bones deserves our respect and gratitude as the man who took over a dysfunctional team in 2022 both on the ice and in the locker room and turned them around.

He made the tough decision to remove Wheeler as Captain and anoint Lowry which was key in fixing the leadership group and the room. Then installed a winning defensive system and got the players to buy-in (even the uncoachable ones that inspired Maurice to quit).

Then he leads us to fourth overall in the league this year with 110 points. Huge accomplishment.

Almost a shame we had to participate in the playoffs where the soft underbelly of the Jets core was exposed by a great Avs team. Others have said our core just doesn't have it in them to be successful in the playoffs. I agree. You can't coach intensity, desire and the will to do anything to win AT ALL TIMES in the playoffs. You coach like you always did that brought great success but the on-ice play is up to the players.

Taking shifts off, circling away from contact, losing your man, gliding to the bench, taking lazy/undisciplined penalties just don't cut it in the playoffs. I started to list the main culprits but it's easier just to say the only guys cut out for the playoffs are Lowry, JoMo, Dillon and maybe Names.

So for sure big changes are needed for us to ever go far in the playoffs. McGroarty looks promising as a guy who has what it takes to win in the playoffs. I agree with giving some of our young talent more of a chance next year. But don't kid yourselves. That will be painful too.

And I hope we do get a coaching change. Not because Bones was a bad coach but because he has nothing left to prove and at his age with his wife's health scare, he deserves to retire and enjoy the dough he has earned.

At the end of the day this is Chevy's team. He's joined at the hip with Chipman who wouldn't fire a soul who has history with True North. A new GM would really bring a new direction but doubt we'll see it.

Go Bombers!!
I agree with alot of this, what we did in the regular season was great but after watching Bowness and his lineup decisions through the playoffs i really hope we move on to someone new. Playing Axle instead of Perfetti was really bad and i think he absolutely should have given Brossoit the start in game 4 . Playing Helly all 5 games when we have a very good backup doesn't make alot of sense. Also our PP and PK was horrible and ultimately that's on Bowness because he could have made changes but didn't. And yes Go Bombers Go:nod:

Ggg99

Sep 17, 2018
I can't think of anyone in Hockey that can benefit more by winning the Stanley Cup than Paul Maurice. His long coaching record is of resounding failure over and over again. Most losses in the history of the NHL, never won the big one, quit on an NHL team mid season on the morning of a game, etc.

Now if he and the Panthers win it this year, all of that goes away. None of that matters. Then he will always be Stanley Cup Champion Coach Paul Maurice. That will be his new legacy, forever. I am rooting for him this year. The Panthers are absolutely stacked. Unless Bob melts down, they should make it out of the East.

Panthers / Avs final would be ridiculous in a good way.
Hope he wins the cup, and I'm cheering for the Panthers now but no matter what he does in hockey, I'll remember him (fondly) like this...

terrible-referee.gif

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015

Go Bombers!!
POTY

Reactions: John Agar and Ggg99

Ggg99

Sep 17, 2018
I agree with alot of this, what we did in the regular season was great but after watching Bowness and his lineup decisions through the playoffs i really hope we move on to someone new. Playing Axle instead of Perfetti was really bad and i think he absolutely should have given Brossoit the start in game 4 . Playing Helly all 5 games when we have a very good backup doesn't make alot of sense. Also our PP and PK was horrible and ultimately that's on Bowness because he could have made changes but didn't. And yes Go Bombers Go:nod:
Wait.... you said you agree with alot of this :laugh:

My point was lineup decisions don't really matter if the players don't have it in them to play with the intensity required in the playoffs 100% of the time.

Starting Perfetti in every game would not have changed the outcome. But if Scheif and top 6 core play intense playoff hockey then the outcome could have been different. But it seems it's just not in their DNA. More Brad Marchand DNA required.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Its really unfortunate that Trouba didn't want to stay , our defense would be so much better with Trouba and no Pionk .
Trouba was one of the dumbest players ever. He'd deliver a free pizza at the darndest times.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Ehlers, Toffoli and Monahan, 80+ goals in the regular season, 2 (both Toffoli) in the playoffs. Not good enough.

Reactions: Hobble

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
seems like helle wasn't very thrilled with the coaching based on his interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad