Kyle Dubas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Dubas has done a credible job thus far. My only issue with him is that he tends to let his morals govern the way he conducts business. While that is an admirable trait, I would prefer if he considers what is in the best interest of the team at all times, even if it means he has to be a bit ruthless (eg. Masai Ujiri).

I think signing JT at his cap hit was a homerun. I think signing Nylander at his cap hit before December 1st was a good move in the long run.

However, I think his loyalty to Sparks because of his affiliation with the Marlies led him to make a bad decision at the start of the season which has weakened our goaltending depth considerably. I think trading Leivo for an AHL forward was terrible asset management, and in retrospect, Leivo would have had plenty of opportunities to stay in the lineup due to injuries, which are inevitable over the course of a season. And last but certainly not least, I think making a verbal promise to Nylander that he would not be traded was completely unecessary, and could end up costing us a significant asset like Kapanen in the not so distant future, which would be unforgivable in my opinion.
If we lose Kapanen, it won't really be because of a promise to Nylander though. I mean, if we trade Nylander to make room for Kapanen then we have truly screwed up. We should look to make it work with a bridge, or by moving near-replacement level players with a significant cap hit before we start to entertain that.

Reactions: Menzinger

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I get the feeling some people don't like Dubas cause of his age but can't get themselves to admit it.

Like we get it, he's half the age you guys are and he's the GM of the Leafs who are having one of the best seasons ever.
Just enjoy the ride.

Reactions: BertCorbeau

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
He's been very solid thus far

We selected Sandin at the draft, I think we will all agree a good decision thus far

He got Tavares to come here, that's a gigantic win

Signed Ennis for basically nothing, good decision that's paid off

Signed Nylander to a fair deal, solid rather than spectacular

Hasn't signed anybody to a deal that's going to hurt our cap situation long term (that's unmovable anyway)

Moved Carrick, I'm ok waiting it
Moved Leivo, fair enough Babcock wasn't a fan
Choose Sparks as backup, 6-2-1 record thus far so solid enough

Nobody is right 100% of the time but that's a good solid body of work thus far imo

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
Marleau is going to the hall of fame. Is Willy?

Will Marleau be playing in a Leaf jersey next year? Rumour has it that he will be traded in a sweetheart deal back to the Sharks after the July Ist payoff.

Willy will still be playing for the Leafs whilst Marleau is enjoying his retirement.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Some good stuff with some not so good stuff mixed in. You can't judge the season 39 games in but 2nd overall is better than only the most blind homer expected, especially given the significant absence of Nylander and Matthews. I don't really give KD a ton of credit for where they are aside from the Tavares add (debatable whether Lou or Hunter couldn't have done the same thing). The Nylander overpay was based on this being a Cup contender and the chance the little diva would actually hold out. That may well have been Shanny's call in the end.

If Nylander earns his contract, or is dealt for a fair return, and Marner and Matthews are resigned for a decent number that's a successful year, not the little bits like Leivo and McBackup. He has bigger personnel decisions ahead of him that will stoke these boards.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
What?

After July 1st this year, Nylander only gets paid like 5 million in cash each season. Teams would trip over each other for Nylander if we wanted to trade him.

What an absurd notion in the first place. As if everything Nylander has been and will be has gone out the window, simply because he's taking a couple weeks to get going after parachuting into the middle of the season. FFS.
too much money however it's split up, optic's don't change that.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Don't you think you should wait until Willie is in peak form and maybe a year or 2 into the contract instead of a month in and not in game shape before making that post?
how long should a "elite" player take to earn his money?

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Will Marleau be playing in a Leaf jersey next year? Rumour has it that he will be traded in a sweetheart deal back to the Sharks after the July Ist payoff.

Willy will still be playing for the Leafs whilst Marleau is enjoying his retirement.
Wish you could be more optimistic and at least have some good news.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
how long should a "elite" player take to earn his money?
Well he sure has elite excuses.
Willy has it made in the shade.
10 million this year.
Very low accountability. Hyman, Brown and Hainsey get more flack.
45 million in total.
Personal guarantee from the GM not to be traded.
Next year 5 years to UFA.

I see no problem. It’s perfect.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
People complaining about ther contract are doing so because of his struggles. some are the same people judging Marner last season. Be patient. You should have expected this.

The contract is exactly what I expected him to sign (Not on December 1st mind you, but that amount).
The guy wanted 8-8.5 million and called Dubas himself and caved with 45 minutes to go.

When Nylander starts scoring all these complaints will go away. This guy could have had 70 last season easy,. Our young players are not getting the same opportunities as other teams young players. Willy is a true blue chip forward.

And after July 2nd, he is VERY appealing to virtually every team. Carolina is interested now, but will really want him then.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Marleau earned his over payment bye bye contract by being a potential hall of famer.

So because he's had a HOF with another team it's OK for us to give him a retirement contract that's really screwing with our cap situation next season?

Holy hell, paying for potential is a much better bet than paying guys for what they "used to be"

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
So because he's had a HOF with another team it's OK for us to give him a retirement contract that's really screwing with our cap situation next season?

Holy hell

The funny thing is, last year people were complaining it was costing them JVR (Leafs never wanted JVR back, great call). Now he's going to cost Marner or Matthews?
WE have the cap to keep everyone except Gardiner. Relax.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
People complaining about ther contract are doing so because of his struggles. some are the same people judging Marner last season. Be patient. You should have expected this.

The contract is exactly what I expected him to sign (Not on December 1st mind you, but that amount).
The guy wanted 8-8.5 million and called Dubas himself and caved with 45 minutes to go.

When Nylander starts scoring all these complaints will go away. This guy could have had 70 last season easy,. Our young players are not getting the same opportunities as other teams young players. Willy is a true blue chip forward.

And after July 2nd, he is VERY appealing to virtually every team. Carolina is interested now, but will really want him then.

Marner should have been sent to the AHL, in the first 30 games last season, he was that bad, he then pulled a 180 and played lights out since.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
The funny thing is, last year people were complaining it was costing them JVR (Leafs never wanted JVR back, great call). Now he's going to cost Marner or Matthews?
WE have the cap to keep everyone except Gardiner. Relax.

I don't care that JVR wasn't resigned but let's not pretend that Marleau's money wouldn't be very useful next season as we try to put a D-core together

3 years was one year to many

Reactions: Menzinger

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
Marner should have been sent to the AHL, in the first 30 games last season, he was that bad, he then pulled a 180 and played lights out since.

I think letting him go through the motions in the NHL was more beneficial than sending him down to a league he would destroy and be a target for goons and such to try and target.

edit : sorry read your post in a vacuum and not what you were replying too.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I don't care that JVR wasn't resigned but let's not pretend that Marleau's money wouldn't be very useful next season as we try to put a D-core together

3 years was one year to many

Our D core will be cheap and is coming from the Marlies.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
By an incredible coincidence, the 180 turn occurred the second Babcock gave him more TOI and better linmates. (He got on a 90+ point pace the rest of the year).
Come on, the guy was not being used properly by Babcock. Just like it took a Nylander holdout for Kapanen to finally get off the 4th line and as soon as that occurs, shocker! He starts scoring!
Marner is the only young player in the entire NHL to have 61 and 69 point season sto start his career, and 0 full years as a top 6 forward.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Our D core will be cheap and is coming from the Marlies.

Losing Gardiner is going to hurt, he makes gaffes but he's a genuine puck moving 2nd pairing defenseman

Rielly, Dermott, Zaitsev is a start but were going to be thin on the backend, God help us if we get significant injuries on the backend

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Losing Gardiner is going to hurt, he makes gaffes but he's a genuine puck moving 2nd pairing defenseman

Rielly, Dermott, Zaitsev is a start but were going to be thin on the backend, God help us if we get significant injuries on the backend
Calle Rosen looks very good. Liljegren will get a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad