Kyle Dubas

Status
Not open for further replies.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Excuse my ignorance, but what's so special about Kyle. What makes him such a rare commodity at the young age of 32?

I understand that Shanahan likes him.

But what has HE achieved that the organization wouldn't have without him.

And lets try to stay away from the "lol! You don't know anything about hockey" responses. Tell me something I don't know.

Thanks

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Excuse my ignorance, but what's so special about Kyle. What makes him such a rare commodity at the young age of 32?

I understand that Shanahan likes him.

But what has HE achieved that the organization wouldn't have without him.

And lets try to stay away from the "lol! You don't know anything about hockey" responses. Tell me something I don't know.

Thanks

Can you name something that any AGM "has accomplished that the organization wouldn't have without him"?

Like, he's been an OHL GM, AHL GM and NHL AGM. What else could you possibly expect him to have accomplished at this point that he hasn't?

That doesn't mean he's great, but your question is framed unfairly.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
His work in the OHL was quite impressive, and so has his work in the AHL.

At the NHL level, his off-season saw him deal Phil Kessel for Kasper Kapanen, as well as the pieces for us to acquire Andersen. The retention is blah, but it's not like 1.2M will ever drastically hurt us. And then in free agency, his moves were largely low risk, low money options. So while his lone off-season wasn't an A+, but it was still a solid B. Hunter & Dubas working the draft together in 2015 also worked excellent as well, netting us Marner (when a lot of people didn't want him), Dermott, Bracco, and Timashov. (Nielsen & Lindgren as well, but they are unlikely to be NHL players at this point I think).

As AGM, he's done his job as well as we can know. He put together quiet the team of analytics people very quickly. He also helped put together the sports science department IIRC.

Dubas was also the co-gm when we hired Mike Babcock :sarcasm:

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Not much of his work has been at the NHL level, minus the moves he was co-part of as interim GM prior to Lou's hiring (Hyman and Marincin in, Kessel out trades). Shanahan felt he was fit to hire and other teams inquired about him. We'll see how he fares if he gets the GM post here. I'm good with any direction and I'll let the hire's work speak for itself. My view will come from that.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
They still can't win it all!

Talk to me when they have a championship recorded.
They have some great young players!
Talk to me when your stop being unfair towards him on something like championships.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Actually the Marlies have always been a good team. They haven't won less than 40 games in like a decade.
This is true, but some of those teams were filled with a lot of old guys that were really good AHL players. Brennan and Macintyre had a few big years down there. The turnover of young guys leading the way has been really impressive the last few seasons.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
They still can't win it all!

Talk to me when they have a championship recorded.

If we are being reasonable and fair with our critique of the farm system, then let's start with the entire point of the farm system - not to win a championship, but to develop talent.

Take a quick look at the Leafs roster - it's jam packed with Marlies graduates, almost all of whom came through while Dubas was running the farm.

Talk to us when you've figured it out

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Dubas is the very likely the next GM of the Toronto Maple Leafs. If you don't like it, get used it, if you like it, great!

What's special about him? He's different than all the other dinosaurs in the league. I've read up on his success in the OHL, how he likes teams to play hockey, what he looks for in players and everything I've read has me excited.

You won't see players like Komarov, Polak on the Leafs when he's GM of the team. He values talent and skill over size. Right now it's very important to follow that philosophy.

Reactions: stickty111

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Dubas is the very likely the next GM of the Toronto Maple Leafs. If you don't like it, get used it, if you like it, great!

What's special about him? He's different than all the other dinosaurs in the league. I've read up on his success in the OHL, how he likes teams to play hockey, what he looks for in players and everything I've read has me excited.

You won't see players like Komarov, Polak on the Leafs when he's GM of the team. He values talent and skill over size. Right now it's very important to follow that philosophy.

It's going to be funny as hell watching people either turn on him or defend moves they would have been livid about if Burke or Lou made them. He's been built up as all knowing hockey savant, he has nowhere to go but down. We need to stop having these insane expectations.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
If we are being reasonable and fair with our critique of the farm system, then let's start with the entire point of the farm system - not to win a championship, but to develop talent.

Take a quick look at the Leafs roster - it's jam packed with Marlies graduates, almost all of whom came through while Dubas was running the farm.

I figured it out!

Just so you know, good drafting and good coaching developed those graduates! ;)

I'm sure it isn't all on Dubus, the winning or the losing!

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
It's going to be funny as hell watching people either turn on him or defend moves they would have been livid about if Burke or Lou made them. He's been built up as all knowing hockey savant, he has nowhere to go but down. We need to stop having these insane expectations.

I don’t have any insane expectations. He could be the Theo Epstein of hockey or he could fall flat. We won’t know if we continue to play it safe.

I just know that if Dubas was GM, we wouldn’t have signed Zaitsev to a long term deal. We would have likely gone harder after some skating D that were available because of expansion. We likely would not have signed Polak.

Reactions: stickty111

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

Maybe you should figure out it was the scouting staff that supplied the prospects to the Marlies.

Reactions: Al14
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad