Kyle Dubas

Status
Not open for further replies.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
The NHl has changed. Guys like that barely exist.
Dubas builds a Calder cup winner and signs the biggest UFA in at least 12 years and he's your worst nightmare? LOL. And then you say they can win multiple cups with the team he assembled?
Yeah, in 2018, who needs a fast, skilled team...

You realize our young GM had very little to do with assembling the Marlies team and the only fingerprint he has on the Leafs is the backup goalie which he's now spent a mid round pick to help patch up a mistake he made.

Reactions: Pookie and noway

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
You realize our young GM had very little to do with assembling the Marlies team and the only fingerprint he has on the Leafs is the backup goalie which he's now spent a mid round pick to help patch up a mistake he made.

No. Fair to say awareness isn’t a strength.

Reactions: unitedstars87

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
This is a team that took two of the top teams in the league to 7 games in back to back seasons. One of them is a cup winner to boot.

We got rid of the dead weight and added JT amongst others. This team is already much better then it was before in many ways. Hell getting rid of Martin,Leo, JVR and Bozak was addition by subtraction before you even add in the acquisition of JT.

We don't need to go back to old school ways to win a cup in a era of skill and speed.

The guys simply need to warrior thru a season and bond in the process.

Wasting assets to satisfy a very minor section of leaf fans is a mistake the old regimes made....not this one

This is a team that almost won and got outworked by a tougher team twice.

This is your point?

You believe we can outskill the top teams who have grit too?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

You keep spouting this nonsense time and time again about Dubas and the Marlies, different folks point out what Dubas did with the Marlies and you’ve kept ignoring it.

Amd the last part is particularly laughable, considering he signed one of the biggest UFAs in Leafs history....

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
The Marlies were a pretty decent team going back to Dallas Eaken days, for some reason people think they sucked until recently.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
This is a team that almost won and got outworked by a tougher team twice.

This is your point?

You believe we can outskill the top teams who have grit too?

Some say toughness, some say their dominant PP and PK and subpar goaltending and centre depth on the other side

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
How many NHLers did those teams produce? Those Marlies teams were packed with vets with no ceiling, they were never an elite development program like the are now.

what are you saying? all the prospects on the Marlies are from Hunter/Lou, Keefe was taught Babcock's coaching systems

Keep Sorokin Me Babe

Hit em with the four like
Jun 18, 2016
Dubas before training camp: "We're not going to reset the market with Nylander".

Dubas on Dec 1st: signs him to a 7m deal well above his comparables in Ehlers and Larkin.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
what are you saying? all the prospects on the Marlies are from Hunter/Lou, Keefe was taught Babcock's coaching systems

I’d suggest it’s probably unlikely that Dubas and the stats department had zero influence on draft selections

Keefe was hired by Dubas and clearly did more than just run Babcocks systems - he was first and foremost been focused on development

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I’d suggest it’s probably unlikely that Dubas and the stats department had zero influence on draft selections

Keefe was hired by Dubas and clearly did more than just run Babcocks systems - he was first and foremost been focused on development

Keefe does whatever the "Leafs" GM tells him to do and the "Marlies" GM helps him accomplish that. Keefe has talked about the balancing of winning and developing players on the Marlies many times in interviews, I have seen, I follow the Marlies

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Dubas before training camp: "We're not going to reset the market with Nylander".

Dubas on Dec 1st: signs him to a 7m deal well above his comparables in Ehlers and Larkin.
I got to admit, looks like Dbas has made his 1st big blunder as the Leaf GM, WN will NEVER live up to that contract and possibly is untradeable now?

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I got to admit, looks like Dbas has made his 1st big blunder as the Leaf GM, WN will NEVER live up to that contract and possibly is untradeable now?

What?

After July 1st this year, Nylander only gets paid like 5 million in cash each season. Teams would trip over each other for Nylander if we wanted to trade him.

What an absurd notion in the first place. As if everything Nylander has been and will be has gone out the window, simply because he's taking a couple weeks to get going after parachuting into the middle of the season. FFS.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Don't you think you should wait until Willie is in peak form and maybe a year or 2 into the contract instead of a month in and not in game shape before making that post?

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
Yeah but I don't see a guy who hits like Ovechkin on our team.
Wilson? Nope
DSP (Bad/Lazy but a beast post season)
Orpik?
Not 80's tough but way tougher than anything we have.
I am thrilled with our offensive skill.
Very happy with Anderson ( so far ).
And okay with our defence.
Our lack of toughness makes everything else a non-factor if the goal is to win four rounds.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
You keep spouting this nonsense time and time again about Dubas and the Marlies, different folks point out what Dubas did with the Marlies and you’ve kept ignoring it.

Amd the last part is particularly laughable, considering he signed one of the biggest UFAs in Leafs history....

People respond with nonsense. The vast majority of the key contributors to the Marlies championship win were acquired through the draft which oro young GM had nothing to do with.

Again with JT I've been over this. I would recommend reading my posts on the subject, you'll learn a lot. Bottom line is if you were to create a pie chart showing the impact people or things had on JT selecting the Leafs, our young GMs slice of the pie wouldn't be big enough for an ant to eat for a day.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

But below other comparables.

If you only compare contracts to the cheapest possible comparable, they will tend to look bad.

Our lack of toughness makes everything else a non-factor if the goal is to win four rounds.
Kind of like how it completely neutralized Chicago right? Those Hawks teams were among the league's last in both hits and fights.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Dubas has done a credible job thus far. My only issue with him is that he tends to let his morals govern the way he conducts business. While that is an admirable trait, I would prefer if he considers what is in the best interest of the team at all times, even if it means he has to be a bit ruthless (eg. Masai Ujiri).

I think signing JT at his cap hit was a homerun. I think signing Nylander at his cap hit before December 1st was a good move in the long run.

However, I think his loyalty to Sparks because of his affiliation with the Marlies led him to make a bad decision at the start of the season which has weakened our goaltending depth considerably. I think trading Leivo for an AHL forward was terrible asset management, and in retrospect, Leivo would have had plenty of opportunities to stay in the lineup due to injuries, which are inevitable over the course of a season. And last but certainly not least, I think making a verbal promise to Nylander that he would not be traded was completely unecessary, and could end up costing us a significant asset like Kapanen in the not so distant future, which would be unforgivable in my opinion.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Don't you think you should wait until Willie is in peak form and maybe a year or 2 into the contract instead of a month in and not in game shape before making that post?

Naw.

Kid hasn't even had a haircut yet. Let's judge the next 7 years!

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009

Nobody is untradeable

The issue is our young GM was in over his head in this negotiation. He waited to the very last minute, cost the team points in the process, and then caved on a deal that was above market value. He should have spent more time learning from Lou how to properly negotiate with key pieces and get them in on team friendly deals. Look at the numbers Rielly is putting up. Thank God Lou flexed his negotiating might when he did. If our young GM was handling the negotiations Rielly would be make $8-9M a year by now.

Hopefully the kid gets better at his job quickly.

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
Not disputing your opinion.
Valid points.
Guys like that do exist.
Gallagher/Marchand/Trouba/Jenner/Byfuglien/Manson/etc...
Sadly they are hard to find.
And
Pretty sure wonder boy didn't trade for Anderson/bring in Babcock or manipulate the ping pong balls to get Matthews.
He hasn't done anything yet.
You think 91 only came here because wonder boy was GM?
Please. Terrible GM. Schooled by Nylander camp with worse ahead.
Can't wait until he gets fired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad