Kyle Dubas

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
He painted himself into a tight corner now and a position of damned if he does or damned if he doesn't trade Nylander after publicly stating "as long as I'm GM, he doesn't intend to trade him".

You covered both sides of that dilemma quite well here, other than perhaps acknowledging that once he broke his word and would trade Nylander if the right trade came along as any good GM should, nobody would ever take Dubas at his word again. Not in contract talks with players or agents, not in the media or news conferences etc.

It was a rookie mistake to give Nylander a verbal NTC and then tell everyone that he did so, disclosing private behind close door discussions. The first thing Nylander did after signing his new deal was to tell everyone publicly what Dubas promised him, and locking that in permanently when Dubas was confronted and confirmed it.

Do you think Ujiri will be in the same sitaution after the DeRozan trade? I doubt it. The only diffence is DeRozan didnt come out and say it right after Ujiri told him initially, he waited till he got traded. Things are said in private and some brought public, it really doesnt matter. People realize its a business and things change over time, credibility has nothing to do with it.

Reactions: Confucius

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I think Dubas has been doing amazing. The team is in 2nd place in NHL after half season. Yeah sure we have some playoff issues to figure out at TDL but we will. Try to put yourself in his shoes. His job is to negotiate 3 important deals for our franchise for next 6-8 years. One is done. Two left. Then he has to right our defense for the playoffs and maybe backup goalie. He has to do this with a $83M max CAP for next season. True the hardest jobs are still ahead but he is taking a positive attitude to his work. That's all he can do. He is a smart guy and has great success at AHL and OHL levels before. I think he will do it and we should all be thankful for it. Once it is all done then he deserves his payday too. Keep in mind all the guys around him like Shanny and Babs and key players are all making 10X the money he gets.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Do you think Ujiri will be in the same sitaution after the DeRozan trade? I doubt it. The only diffence is DeRozan didnt come out and say it right after Ujiri told him initially, he waited till he got traded. Things are said in private and some brought public, it really doesnt matter. People realize its a business and things change over time, credibility has nothing to do with it.

tenor.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad