Prospect Info: Kole Lind, Pt. II | Is not being taken, etcetera

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
There's no way of sugar-coating it. Lind, Gadjovich and to some extent Dahlen, have had disappointing first pro seasons. They all look to be miles away from the NHL.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I have no grasp on what our prospects in Utica are gonna become, its a **** show.

Nobody knows at this point.

The Utica is not ran like its main function is to develop our prospects, if it were they would be allowed to play, make mistakes and learn from them.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008

The Utica is not ran like its main function is to develop our prospects, if it were they would be allowed to play, make mistakes and learn from them.

Remember when Gillis made Utica our AHL affiliate?

I 'member

Reactions: Cogburn

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
P

Based on the posters that watches Utica regularly, that doesn't seem to be the case. Sound quite opposite actually. That Lind, Gadjovich, Palmu, Dahlen were all struggling mightily early in the season, and yet they play more than they deserved, with regular PP time.
Sounds like they were allowed to play, they just weren't as good as people expectes?

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
You know what's common of all 3 of them? Their skating sucks. I had 0 expectations for gadjovich and Lind though. Especially Lind after watching the youngstars. At least for this season.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
P

Based on the posters that watches Utica regularly, that doesn't seem to be the case. Sound quite opposite actually. That Lind, Gadjovich, Palmu, Dahlen were all struggling mightily early in the season, and yet they play more than they deserved, with regular PP time.
Sounds like they were allowed to play, they just weren't as good as people expectes?

They need to play hockey.

Send them away from Utica if thats not the place to play & develop them.

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
Havent seen Utica games this year but from this thread it's clear Lind needs to improve his strength and skating.

However, what aspect of his skating needs improvement? Is it the first few steps, edge work, overall speed, or something else? It may be all of the above but what is the most glaring weakness? If he addresses this, do people think he can become a top 6 forward in the AHL based on his other talents?

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Havent seen Utica games this year but from this thread it's clear Lind needs to improve his strength and skating.

However, what aspect of his skating needs improvement? Is it the first few steps, edge work, overall speed, or something else? It may be all of the above but what is the most glaring weakness? If he addresses this, do people think he can become a top 6 forward in the AHL based on his other talents?
I’ve only watched a dozen games but
His first few strikes are kinda weak to me, as a result he has no ability to separate himself from defenders

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
They need to play hockey.

Send them away from Utica if thats not the place to play & develop them.

Wrong
There’s no point feeding them icetimes when they are clearly not ready for top 6 role and have serious skating issue.

Ppl like to point out Lind, Gadujovic, Palmu and Dahlen’s lack of ice times.

However, players like Gaudette, MacEwen and Brisebois got plenty of ice times from Cull simply because they are better players at the moment

Cull doesn’t hate young players, he just doesn’t like to put players in roles they aren’t ready for .

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Wrong
There’s no point feeding them icetimes when they are clearly not ready for top 6 role and have serious skating issue.

However, players like Gaudette, MacEwen and Brisebois got plenty of ice times from Cull simply because they are better players at the moment

Cull doesn’t hate young players, he just doesn’t like to put players in roles they aren’t ready for .

Wrong

Hockey prospects need to play hockey.

Reactions: pomorick

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Wrong

And they are, just not every single game because many of them aren’t fully mature (physically) yet/

Lind and Gadjovich are both long-term project, and by that I mean it might even take a full three years of development in the AHL before they even earns a call up

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
I’ve only watched a dozen games but
His first few strikes are kinda weak to me, as a result he has no ability to separate himself from defenders
Do you think if he is able to get the separation his hockey IQ and offensive skill will translate into success?

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
Wrong

Giving them ice-time in situations that they are clearly not physically equipped to handle is pointless. They would be better served spending all their time practicing and working on the skills they need to improve.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Wrong

prospects need to be in a good environment to develop their skills, train and learn the game and they need to play hockey, but i do not see that they need to play every ahl game to be developed properly.

lind has 43 games this year and counting. that is more than an ncaa season. would you be complaining if he was playing ncaa? does the ncaa fail to develop hockey players properly? ncaa rookies also typically start sheltered and miss starts.

to me lind has followed a pretty typical second round chl prospect story arc this year. he has had to reinvent his game because his game did not work against men. old story.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Do you think if he is able to get the separation his hockey IQ and offensive skill will translate into success?
Hard to say, many players fail to reach the next level (top 6 nhl player )because of their skating issues despite having decent hockey IQ and offensive skill, aka Sam Gagner
You dont see a Bo Horvat type of improvement everyday, Lind needs a good summer of training and we can only hope for the best as fans

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
And they are, just not every single game because many of them aren’t fully mature (physically) yet/

Lind and Gadjovich are both long-term project, and by that I mean it might even take a full three years of development in the AHL before they even earns a call up

Okay. We just have a fundamental disagrement on how to best develop prospects. That is fine.

prospects need to be in a good environment to develop their skills, train and learn the game and they need to play hockey, but i do not see that they need to play every ahl game to be developed properly.

lind has 43 games this year and counting. that is more than an ncaa season. would you be complaining if he was playing ncaa? does the ncaa fail to develop hockey players properly? ncaa rookies also typically start sheltered and miss starts.

to me lind has followed a pretty typical second round chl prospect story arc this year. he has had to reinvent his game because his game did not work against men. old story.

Then send then away from Utica, where they get to play.

Palmu did what is best for his developement. Send more of the players to europe if Utica is not the place to get adequate minutes. Its insanity that a league with a relegation system is better at developing raw prospects then a closed league like tha AHL.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Wrong

Utica is an AHL team.
Also known as a FARM team.
FARMS grow things, and we aren’t going to grow anything by putting our prospects in positions they can’t succeed in.
Put our prospects in the SUN so they can grow.
In the AHL our guys like Gadjovich, Lind and Palmu haven’t gotten much sunlight, let’s be honest. I agree, they aren’t ready, but it’s not always about being ready, you have to play a bit risky for any sort of reward.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Utica is an AHL team.
Also known as a FARM team.
FARMS grow things, and we aren’t going to grow anything by putting our prospects in positions they can’t succeed in.
Put our prospects in the SUN so they can grow.
In the AHL our guys like Gadjovich, Lind and Palmu haven’t gotten much sunlight, let’s be honest. I agree, they aren’t ready, but it’s not always about being ready, you have to play a bit risky for any sort of reward.

you know what else is an agricultural term? stunting growth

a farmer knows that if you plant crops before they are ready or overwater crops it stunts and ruins them.

if the canucks overplay a bunch of kids not ready for the ahl it hurts their development the same way itt ruins kids in the nhl

there is clearly a gap between the chl and ahl. frequently guys who can do whatever they want in the chl and have nothing more to learn there come to the ahl and hit a wall. maybe what you favour is a different transitional development league that is more focussed on skills development than on playing near nhl hockey, like a u21 or u23 soccer program.

for now, so long as they get practice time, gym time and video time and more games than they would in the ncaa i fail to see the problem with ahl deployment

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
P

This post *1,000,000. Why people choose whatever fits the narrative rather than looking at the actual facts is beyond me.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
you know what else is an agricultural term? stunting growth

a farmer knows that if you plant crops before they are ready or overwater crops it stunts and ruins them.

if the canucks overplay a bunch of kids not ready for the ahl it hurts their development the same way itt ruins kids in the nhl

there is clearly a gap between the chl and ahl. frequently guys who can do whatever they want in the chl and have nothing more to learn there come to the ahl and hit a wall. maybe what you favour is a different transitional development league that is more focussed on skills development than on playing near nhl hockey, like a u21 or u23 soccer program.

for now, so long as they get practice time, gym time and video time and more games than they would in the ncaa i fail to see the problem with ahl deployment

:clap:
Also @Guardian452 and @Billy Kvcmu

:clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad