Gadj
Motte

Hughes
Juolevi
Nate. S

Demko

expose the other bums.

done :)

Jimbo and his crew thinks he has the potential to be an offensive player in the NHL to have had him ranked in the 1st round. I hope he can at least become the player the Canucks project him to be. Hopefully a Riley Smith type of player. If not why rank him as a 1st rounder?
Hughes is considered a second year pro and is exempt.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Respectable debut. Will have to keep his brain engaged and feet moving consistently, night after night, to overcome his lack of skating speed. Also still have questions about his balance in physical battles. But as one of the relative optimists on Lind among Utica watchers over the previous two seasons, it's good to see that he does indeed have some NHL qualities.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Jim Benning is totally going to protect Tyler Myers.

Outside of a trade, who else is Jim going to protect? Say Jim protects Schmidt and Juolevi. Do we really expect him to protect Chatfield, Rafferty etc. over Myers? This all assumes that Myers is seen as having some sort of value.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He was ... ok. I don't think he was as good as some have said, but then I've literally never seen criticism of a prospect's first NHL game. People are frothing over a low-percentage shot he got away from a bad angle.

One thing that's been a problem with him in Utica is puck management and turnovers and that didn't pop up last night as a thing, which was good.

His skating will be a major problem. But if you're going to play a guy, play him and give him an opportunity and at least Green did that.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Outside of a trade, who else is Jim going to protect? Say Jim protects Schmidt and Juolevi. Do we really expect him to protect Chatfield, Rafferty etc. over Myers? This all assumes that Myers is seen as having some sort of value.

I think the general consensus is that we should be making a trade with a team with protection problems to try and improve our very poor-looking blueline, and pointlessly protecting Myers takes away that opportunity for improvement.

Reactions: supercanuck

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
He will protect:

Pettersson
Horvat
Boeser
Miller
Pearson
Virtanen
Motte

Schmidt
Myers
Juolevi

Demko

He might be thinking about Lind over Virtanen. I would protect Lind. I'm not fussed one way or the other if Pearson or Virtanen are left unprotected. Gets rid of a $3M+ contract.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I don’t see other teams trading their exposed Dmen. They would have to be certain that a F would be taken instead otherwise they are down 2 Dmen coming out of the ED.

like Carolina. Protect Slavin, Pesce, Bean. The just moved Fleury. If Skjei is taken they need to re sign Hamilton or else they have Gardiner to round out the top 4.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
I think the general consensus is that we should be making a trade with a team with protection problems to try and improve our very poor-looking blueline, and pointlessly protecting Myers takes away that opportunity for improvement.

Yeah...I don't think Seattle would take him anyways so it doesn't make sense to waste a protection slot on him.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yeah...I don't think Seattle would take him anyways so it doesn't make sense to waste a protection slot on him.

Outside of MA Fleury, Vegas didn't take a single player in their expansion draft who was over 30 and had more than a year remaining on his contract. Expansion teams are not in the business of taking long-term albatross contracts as they start their history.

Reactions: supercanuck

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I don’t see other teams trading their exposed Dmen. They would have to be certain that a F would be taken instead otherwise they are down 2 Dmen coming out of the ED.

like Carolina. Protect Slavin, Pesce, Bean. The just moved Fleury. If Skjei is taken they need to re sign Hamilton or else they have Gardiner to round out the top 4.

It would have to be a specific fit, otherwise it's simply better to deal with Seattle. But "exposed" Dman doesn't have to be a Dumba calibre player. It could be a ~Juolevi-aged player who hasn't quite figured it out that a team would accept a 2nd to 4th round pick for... or a Nate Schmidt type.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
He was ... ok. I don't think he was as good as some have said, but then I've literally never seen criticism of a prospect's first NHL game. People are frothing over a low-percentage shot he got away from a bad angle.

One thing that's been a problem with him in Utica is puck management and turnovers and that didn't pop up last night as a thing, which was good.

His skating will be a major problem. But if you're going to play a guy, play him and give him an opportunity and at least Green did that.
You dont have to be fast if you can play smart. Stone Perry Tkachuk are slow ass players who are really good at winning battles, making clever plays and being dangerous around the net.

The thing i liked and have always liked about him is he has a good stick and has NHL hands and creativity/playmaking. I agree he still looks pretty weak and i doubt he is much more than a slightly better Leivo if he can get stronger and a little faster which is hardly something to get excited about but depth is good and we'll see.

Definitely has better vision and offensive instincts than Leivo so that provides optimism but if he's getting chased down and bumped off pucks easily and starts managing the puck like you say he won't be in the NHL for long.

Who would your 6 and 7 protected forwards be out of curiosity?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
You dont have to be fast if you can play smart. Stone Perry Tkachuk are slow ass players who are really good at winning battles, making clever plays and being dangerous around the net.

The thing i liked and have always liked about him is he has a good stick and has NHL hands and creativity/playmaking. I agree he still looks pretty weak and i doubt he is much more than a slightly better Leivo if he can get stronger and a little faster which is hardly something to get excited about but depth is good and we'll see.

Definitely has better vision and offensive instincts than Leivo so that provides optimism but if he's getting chased down and bumped off pucks easily and starts managing the puck like you say he won't be in the NHL for long.

Who would your 6 and 7 protected forwards be out of curiosity?

Lind is slow but also weak and weak on the puck, and the opposite of a horse like Mark Stone in that way.

Lind's biggest strength is that he has good vision and hands and if you put him with other skilled players he can make cute little plays to work off them well. And he's good at finding seams in the slot for deflections/rebounds etc.

Defensively he's still having significant issues in the AHL which didn't pop up last night but probably will in short order. His puck management is poor and he's prone to awful turnovers.

For the expansion draft we're obviously protecting :

Pettersson
Miller
Horvat
Boeser
Pearson (UGH)
Motte

I'd be looking to make a trade to fill that last spot over protecting a guy like Lind but if we don't do that ... maybe Lind is the best option? That's not saying much, though.

Reactions: timw33 and sting101
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad