Prospect Info: Kole Lind, Pt. II | Is not being taken, etcetera

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Well, yes.

But we didn’t acquire him until he was 24. He broke out as a top-pairing two-way guy in 1991-92 in his 25 y/o season.

So that statement is technically correct and he did have defensive issues in Montreal and early in his tenure here ... but he broke out pretty early during his time here and was a good defensive player for most of it. Despite the occasional high-risk play and love of cutting directly in front of his own goalie when carrying the puck up ice.

I seem to recall a more gradual ascendancy for Jyrki than that, but then, I'm much more forgiving today than I was back in those days I think. He did eventually stabilize which is the important thing. Even while never quite losing that sense of adventure on the ice.

How do you feel about a Lumme type of player as a possible best case ceiling for Juolevi. You know, if the moon is in the seventh house and Jupiter aligns with Mars etc...

Reactions: sting101

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I seem to recall a more gradual ascendancy for Jyrki than that, but then, I'm much more forgiving today than I was back in those days I think. He did eventually stabilize which is the important thing. Even while never quite losing that sense of adventure on the ice.

How do you feel about a Lumme type of player as a possible best case ceiling for Juolevi. You know, if the moon is in the seventh house and Jupiter aligns with Mars etc...

Lumme made some high-risk, eye-catching blunders with the puck on his stick but generally played a ton of tough minutes and was actually very good defensively for the most part. And was a PK stalwart from 1991 onward.

Other than nationality I don’t really see the similarity.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
That's not how I recall it. But then, he turned 24 in his first full season with the Canucks, so it's not like we got much of a chance to see him before his mid twenties.

He had 32 points that first year, and for the rest of his time with the Canucks he was very consistent, producing at about a .5 points per game clip. Our memories of how good he was defensively can't be easily verified with stats, but I don't recall his coaches having many complaints about his play, nor did I as a fan.
oh gawd i guess you didn't watch him much in Montreal then...he would try to stickhandle through people as the last guy back and turn pucks over and it infuriated Pat Burns.....its why they traded him to us and sort of gave up on him.

His first year with us was an adventure also but he settled in soon after and was a workhorse who could beat the first forechecker with uncanny ease and had that backhand dump that was incredibly reliable when he needed to relieve pressure.

and @MS just reminded me of that sketchy cut in front of the net play that he could pull off.....oh boy that could get the blood pressure elevated but he became so damn reliable through his prime years...Lumme was a stud

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Lumme made some high-risk, eye-catching blunders with the puck on his stick but generally played a ton of tough minutes and was actually very good defensively for the most part. And was a PK stalwart from 1991 onward.

Other than nationality I don’t really see the similarity.
Fair enough. Besides, I'm projecting well into the future here. Another year minimum in Utica and then a couple of years struggle and probably a trade before it happens for him. If it does happen for him. I do see some similar raw material there and some of the same problems.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
oh gawd i guess you didn't watch him much in Montreal then...he would try to stickhandle through people as the last guy back and turn pucks over and it infuriated Pat Burns.....its why they traded him to us and sort of gave up on him.

His first year with us was an adventure also but he settled in soon after and was a workhorse who could beat the first forechecker with uncanny ease and had that backhand dump that was incredibly reliable when he needed to relieve pressure.

and @MS just reminded me of that sketchy cut in front of the net play that he could pull off.....oh boy that could get the blood pressure elevated but he became so damn reliable through his prime years...Lumme was a stud

I absolutely didn't see him in Montreal, so yes, my impression is entirely based on his time as a Canuck.

I seem to recall he did something off-ice to irritate Montreal management, and they wanted to get rid of him quickly. He obviously got his act together in Vancouver -- great trade.

I doubt that Juolevi will ever be anything like Lumme.

Meanwhile, that Lind kid ...

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I absolutely didn't see him in Montreal, so yes, my impression is entirely based on his time as a Canuck.

I seem to recall he did something off-ice to irritate Montreal management, and they wanted to get rid of him quickly. He obviously got his act together in Vancouver -- great trade.

I doubt that Juolevi will ever be anything like Lumme.

Meanwhile, that Lind kid ...
yes i think Lind is a bit of a lost cause right now.

When we aquired Josh Leivo i said that we essentially got a fully developed Kole Lind if things go well. The only thing Lind may have on Leivo is his passing skills and in no way is Linds shot anything close to Leivos yet

Time will tell but its pretty horrific to be half way through his first AHL season without a goal. Lets hope a light goes on for a few of our prospects soon

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
yes i think Lind is a bit of a lost cause right now.

When we aquired Josh Leivo i said that we essentially got a fully developed Kole Lind if things go well. The only thing Lind may have on Leivo is his passing skills and in no way is Linds shot anything close to Leivos yet

Time will tell but its pretty horrific to be half way through his first AHL season without a goal. Lets hope a light goes on for a few of our prospects soon
Hes coming around slowly. Cool it

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Nice to see him start producing. Still has a ways to go to get back on track for such an early 2nd rounder. If he can go a consistent .6-.7PPG rest of year (about 30-35 points) I'll feel good about his future again.

Last edited:

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
He is young still he did need to begin showing something though , I'm still a firm believer drafting outside 1st round is a turkey shoot sometimes 1st is too .
Judging what an 18 year old may be at 25 isn't an exact science let's see what can develop now he has found his legs in minors.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
Has Lind been able to get himself in to the lineup more? I was quite hopeful for him with his promising WHL production

Last edited:

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Has Lind been able to get himself in to the lineup more? I was quite hopeful for him with his promising WHL production
Yes, he suits up every game when healthy and is force fed minutes up the lineup and on the pp that he doesn't deserve on merit. He doesn't look lost on the ice like he did earlier in the year but now just blends into the scenery in a supporting role, contributing very little.

Not a fast skater and without great hockey sense or a hard shot it's difficult to imagine him progressing beyond the minor league level.

Reactions: Bad Goalie

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Yes, he suits up every game when healthy and is force fed minutes up the lineup and on the pp that he doesn't deserve on merit. He doesn't look lost on the ice like he did earlier in the year but now just blends into the scenery in a supporting role, contributing very little.

Not a fast skater and without great hockey sense or a hard shot it's difficult to imagine him progressing beyond the minor league level.

Is that why no one took Kole Lind? :naughty:

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad