Kitchener Rangers 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
I mentioned this in an earlier post, but isn’t this a result of giving 18-19 year olds massive signing bonuses on ELC’s and then sending them to junior where they have essentially no expenses? I’m sure the problem is much more than just NHL-signed players, but maybe a way to start rooting it out is not giving them absurd amounts of money until they are out of junior hockey.

It's not like these players have all that money readily accessible in their bank accounts. If they are getting signing bonuses they have agents and financial advisers that take care of that. The player wouldn't even see their paycheque.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
It's not like these players have all that money readily accessible in their bank accounts. If they are getting signing bonuses they have agents and financial advisers that take care of that. The player wouldn't even see their paycheque.

I don't feel that cost has anything to do with drugs unless you are an addict. Most of us have this misconception that coke is some some sort of elitist drug for the rich. But cocaine is not that expensive on the street if you are just using it occasionally. Anyone with a part-time, minimum wage job can afford it.

This applies to most drugs, really. Even the lowest of incomes can afford cocaine, marijuana, meth, etc. Even here in Kitchener. Look in the hostels, look on our streets, look in our safe injection sites.

Reactions: robertmac43

Otto

I don't feel that cost has anything to do with drugs unless you are an addict. Most of us have this misconception that coke is some some sort of elitist drug for the rich. But cocaine is not that expensive on the street if you are just using it occasionally. Anyone with a part-time, minimum wage job can afford it.

This applies to most drugs, really. Even the lowest of incomes can afford cocaine, marijuana, meth, etc. Even here in Kitchener. Look in the hostels, look on our streets, look in our safe injection sites.

So again... the signing bonus is irrelevant

Mar 12, 2009
I know a former Otter player apparently did see those checks and just had them sitting in the back of his car over the summer one year lol. Also got pulled over a bunch and let off with warnings each time while allegedly impaired (something he told people I knew at the time lol) because they knew who he was.

Otto

I know a former Otter player apparently did see those checks and just had them sitting in the back of his car over the summer one year lol. Also got pulled over a bunch and let off with warnings each time while allegedly impaired (something he told people I knew at the time lol) because they knew who he was.

He would be in the minority.

Reactions: TheCoach

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Podcast featuring Eric Guest. It's well worth the listen, they talk about the OHL transition and go more in depth on the Eric's personal story.

Reactions: three dog night

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
Reactions: East Avenue Bully

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
To sum it all up........You pay for what you see. We don't have any other answers until the powers that be get back to us.
And we pay full freight in early July with no dates yet as to when it starts. Can't print tickets until you have a schedule. Just saying. And as for waiting for a vaccine, not likely. Apparently, the protest of thousands here resulted in one new case...one. We're months away yet. Standby.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London

I’m sorry I to grew up in the “era” of this gentleman and I can comment that the last thing any 16-20 year old male wanted to be associated with back then was another mans genitals? It was just not something done by normal young men period. At a lower level I was a rookie on a Junior Hockey team and the initiation was always threatened that shaving of one’s private area would occur. However in 4 years of Junior Hockey on 3 different teams IT NEVER HAPPENED, was only a scare tactic. No one in their right mind would want to hold onto and do this to another young man. I won’t use it but you would have been called every derogatory term in the book. Also what kind of a bus company would allow it’s bus to have semen, urine and saliva poured into a bathroom vent, come on?

Very telling about the experiences from one individual in the OHL vs the other individual in the WHL. I quite frankly could see the WHL account as possibly having occurred but no way, I call absolute BS on the OHL accusations which are basically all involving some sort of genital / seminal fluid abuse. Back then you wouldn’t even have admitted to how you collected the “sample” you would have been ridiculed by your peers.

Fire away tell me how I don’t know what I’m talking about, how I don’t understand peer pressure or mental health. Sorry I guess I just got off lucky during my formative years.

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
If it’s true the other rookies will I imagine step up and say it happened. If 8 of them were in the bus washroom then I can’t see one Out of the remaining 7 not stepping up and saying....yes what Dan is saying is true..

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
I’m sorry I to grew up in the “era” of this gentleman and I can comment that the last thing any 16-20 year old male wanted to be associated with back then was another mans genitals? It was just not something done by normal young men period. At a lower level I was a rookie on a Junior Hockey team and the initiation was always threatened that shaving of one’s private area would occur. However in 4 years of Junior Hockey on 3 different teams IT NEVER HAPPENED, was only a scare tactic. No one in their right mind would want to hold onto and do this to another young man. I won’t use it but you would have been called every derogatory term in the book. Also what kind of a bus company would allow it’s bus to have semen, urine and saliva poured into a bathroom vent, come on?

Very telling about the experiences from one individual in the OHL vs the other individual in the WHL. I quite frankly could see the WHL account as possibly having occurred but no way, I call absolute BS on the OHL accusations which are basically all involving some sort of genital / seminal fluid abuse. Back then you wouldn’t even have admitted to how you collected the “sample” you would have been ridiculed by your peers.

Fire away tell me how I don’t know what I’m talking about, how I don’t understand peer pressure or mental health. Sorry I guess I just got off lucky during my formative years.

I’ve never even thought of that. you do raise some good points, but I’m not sure we’ll ever really find out. also, how big were the bus washrooms to fit 7 or 8 rookies ?

SuperMod

Nov 6, 2018
My, How quickly we forget what happened to some rookie football players at a private school in Toronto, only a short time ago.

Reactions: Torgo

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
there is a bit of a narrative that this happens only in hockey.

It happens everywhere! This is not just about hazing, it is about alpha male behaviour. And Guest made mention of this. Let me give you a couple of examples.

I saw it in regular pickup hockey though not as extreme as above. New guy joins the group, get sent out to collect the pucks and comes back to find his clothes soaking in the beer water. Ha ha, very funny!

Not only does this happen in sports, but one of my first full-time jobs was with a local company which will remain nameless. In on particular department, newbies were threatened with being "snowed". Threatened and often seen through. This would involve taking the person somewhere out of sight and stuffing his pants with snow. Ha ha, very funny! Sometimes, and this might give away the company but I will still not name it, mixed in with the snow was blood and / or pickle juice.

So what is behind all this abusive hazing? It is something the tough guys, the "top dogs", can get a few yuck yucks over beers as they show off how much they can pound back. It's all about macho posturing, out playing the other in shenanigans, flexing a bit of muscle, I suppose. It's "all in good fun" without taking into account the damage that is being done at the receiving end.

We have a long way to go to correct this type of behaviour and it will not be easy to eliminate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille