Kitchener Rangers 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Tim Wallach mentions a possible part two to the Noel trade or rather, if there’s a part two.

It may or may not be the case. I don’t think it would be all that bad of a thing. In any two part deal, value usually goes both ways.

In the Bracco/Stanley two parter, we were upset at first that the initial return for Bracco was light, but then the cost of Stanley in the off season was just as light, but equivalent to the return for Bracco.

With that in mind, if there is a Noel two parter in play and Vukojovic is already the determined player completing the deal, then I’d assum the return would be comparable to that of our cost for Noel?

To Kitchener:
Serron Noel

To Oshawa:
‘01 F - Ryan Stepien
2nd. 2nd. 3rd. 3rd.

I’d expect the second part of a Noel/Vukojovic two parter would be the same picks plus a comparable player and age at the time of the deal to Stepien who has a couple years left in the league.

To Oshawa :
Vukojovic

To Kitchener:
2nd. 2nd. 3rd. 3rd.
‘02 player.

Depending on who the ‘02 player is (I obviously don’t expect a ringer as that player would be a big piece of the Generals team next year), we may opt for pick(s) instead.

If there is a second part to the Noel deal, I’d expect it to drop after the Memorial Cup host is announced.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rangers True Blue

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Tim Wallach mentions a possible part two to the Noel trade or rather, if there’s a part two.

It may or may not be the case. I don’t think it would be all that bad of a thing. In any two part deal, value usually goes both ways.

In the Bracco/Stanley two parter, we were upset at first that the initial return for Bracco was light, but then the cost of Stanley in the off season was just as light, but equivalent to the return for Bracco.

With that in mind, if there is a Noel two parter in play and Vukojovic is already the determined player completing the deal, then I’d assum the return would be comparable to that if our cost for Noel?

To Kitchener:
Serron Noel

To Oshawa:
‘01 F - Ryan Stepien
2nd. 2nd. 3rd. 3rd.

I’d expect the second part of a Noel/Vukojovic two parter would be the same picks plus a comparable player and age at the time of the deal to Stepien who has a couple years left in the league.

To Oshawa :
Vukojovic

To Kitchener:
2nd. 2nd. 3rd. 3rd.
‘02 player.

Depending on who the ‘02 player is (I obviously don’t expect a ringer as that player would be a big piece of the Generals team next year), we may opt for pick(s) instead.

If there is a second part to the Noel deal, I’d expect it to drop after the Memorial Cup host is announced.

Sign me up for that. Wonder if the 2002 player would be goalie Matt Sbrocca. He had a good year in GOJHL and Gens just don't have room for him with Kooy/Paputsakis next year and then Paputsakis still being there the year after.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018

With that in mind, if there is a Noel two parter in play and Vukojovic is already the determined player completing the deal, then I’d assum the return would be comparable to that if our cost for Noel?

To Kitchener:
Serron Noel

To Oshawa:
‘01 F - Ryan Stepien
2nd. 2nd. 3rd. 3rd.

To Oshawa :
Vukojovic

To Kitchener:
2nd. 2nd. 3rd. 3rd.
‘02 player.

Sign me up for that. Wonder if the 2002 player would be goalie Matt Sbrocca. He had a good year in GOJHL and Gens just don't have room for him with Kooy/Paputsakis next year and then Paputsakis still being there the year after.

I’d be happy with Sbrocca. saw him in minor midget as well as OHL Gold Cup and some Jr. B games this season and I’ve always liked watching him. just seems to be caught in the numbers game

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
I’d be happy with Sbrocca. saw him in minor midget as well as OHL Gold Cup and some Jr. B games this season and I’ve always liked watching him. just seems to be caught in the numbers game

Yeah for sure. I'm always very hesitant when it comes to 2 part trades and I still am here, but Vukojevic did play for the Oshawa Generals Selects U15 team for the big WSI tournament in Philly. The coach of that team was..... Gens owner Rocco Tullio.

Tyler Tullio and Phil Tomasino were both on that team as well and when the Gens traded for Tomasino, they talked of the familiarity they had with him and how they got to know him really good from that WSI tournament where he played for them...

Ryan Polodori was the goalie of that team and the Gens drafted him and signed him as well

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

For sure the Rangers could use goaltending. With Ingham likely graduating, we’d like to see a couple goalies come in unless we decide to employ Pfiel as an OA backup.

I would however, be more comfortable if the player coming our way in any Noel/Vukojovic two parter be a proven OHLer. Sbrocca may or may not be OHL calibre but I may just as soon add another 3rd to the deal in lieu of a player if someone off this year’s roster can’t be made available.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Looking forward to the draft next weekend. Considering where Rangers 1st round pick is, this could be a potential pick if he's still on the board.

OHL Prospect Profile: Bryce McConnell-Barker

Here's one of the vids online where he scored a hat trick.....

Interested to hear what other potential picks could be around for the Rangers in the 1st round.

LolaT200

Feb 10, 2020
Nice little bit on CTV Kitchener news yesterday about Sebrango giving a stick to a 5 year old boy who had his birthday party cancelled due to the virus.

Reactions: Lolcanuck

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Great to see MM sign an extension as GM through the 2024-2025 season. Now we'll see where the coaching position will go. IMO we will see a new coach for 2020-2021 depending on, of course, what's available out there that fits.

Reactions: robertmac43

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Great to see MM sign long term. He's clearly pretty good at his job and the fear was he might be emptying the cupboard to make a dash to the pros. Nice to see his commitment to the club. As for coach, with no disrespect to the current assistants, I really hope he doesn't give the job to one of them. In my humble opinion, they are limited in their abilities whereas a head coach has to be the full package. This franchise can find a real winner with a proper search. The pressure is always there to give internal guys a shot, but that hasn't worked and MM has shown time and again that he is shrewd and competitive. I trust he'll go all out for the right fit.

Reactions: rangersblues

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Great to see MM sign long term. He's clearly pretty good at his job and the fear was he might be emptying the cupboard to make a dash to the pros. Nice to see his commitment to the club. As for coach, with no disrespect to the current assistants, I really hope he doesn't give the job to one of them. In my humble opinion, they are limited in their abilities whereas a head coach has to be the full package. This franchise can find a real winner with a proper search. The pressure is always there to give internal guys a shot, but that hasn't worked and MM has shown time and again that he is shrewd and competitive. I trust he'll go all out for the right fit.
Just a weird thought here but wondering what this virus is affecting hockey jobs overseas and if it may actually increase the candidates for the HC job?

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Just a weird thought here but wondering what this virus is affecting hockey jobs overseas and if it may actually increase the candidates for the HC job?

I expect it'll have both negative and positive effects on the candidate pool, but more negative. There may be a trickle back of expat coaches who want to be back in Canada, but the uncertainty around the NHL means any coach affiliated with an NHL team or hoping to land a pro gig may have to wait until their season is settled. If they do indeed play through August, it'd leave a very tight and late free agency period for coaches too.

Reactions: Ward Cornell

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
I expect it'll have both negative and positive effects on the candidate pool, but more negative. There may be a trickle back of expat coaches who want to be back in Canada, but the uncertainty around the NHL means any coach affiliated with an NHL team or hoping to land a pro gig may have to wait until their season is settled. If they do indeed play through August, it'd leave a very tight and late free agency period for coaches too.
Im one who thinks the NHL/NBA playoffs wont be happening this season.
Would a team want to jeopardize a Crosby/MsDavid/Lebron James/Lowry unless rock solid assured this virus is totally eradicated? Which I believe in reality will be several months from now.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
You're likely right Ward. The smart money is on no season. All I do know is that the NHL is desperate to make it happen. They estimate $1B in losses, which I don't have to explain the nightmare that would create for the salary cap, escrow, etc. The epidemiologist who met with their BOG this week seemed to give them confidence a July/August schedule is possible.

Mein Yak

Jan 5, 2019

as much as I would love for this to happen, I think Fantilli is gone before 17 even with a USHL commitment

One key thing to remember is that Pinelli was Fantilli line mate for all all of the 18-19 season. In saying this I still believe a team in the top 5 takes him and then try’s to offload him for a boatload. The only way I see Fantilli playing here is that he says that the only place he will play is here. I think the 2nd best case (behind us drafting him) is OSH takes him before us and he comes back to us as a defected player in return OSH gets Vukojevic and the compensation picks form him being defected. What are your guy’s opinions.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
I think there's roughly zero chance we get Fantilli. Ken Campbell reports his family told NB he'd play there if he chooses the OHL after next season.

No way teams in the top 5 risk leaving him there if he's open to going anywhere.

Reactions: EvenSteven

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
One key thing to remember is that Pinelli was Fantilli line mate for all all of the 18-19 season. In saying this I still believe a team in the top 5 takes him and then try’s to offload him for a boatload. The only way I see Fantilli playing here is that he says that the only place he will play is here. I think the 2nd best case (behind us drafting him) is OSH takes him before us and he comes back to us as a defected player in return OSH gets Vukojevic and the compensation picks form him being defected. What are your guy’s opinions.

Jack Hughes did this in his OHL draft year too in the weeks (days maybe?) leading up to the OHL draft. the Steelheads took him at pick 8. they pick at 6 this season but unless they are positive they can get him to report, I can’t see them doing that again.

I think any trade costs Vukojevic+. Fantilli is a late birthday so you have him for at least 3 seasons. Kitchener simply doesn’t have the picks to add in for him, so unless he somehow makes it to pick 17, I think it’s unrealistic

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
If Fantilli is made available in trade as a defective player by whoever drafts him, we will have had to have made the off-season trades for 2nd rounders to be able to make a deal.

For Fantilli, especially since he’s a late b-day, you’re looking at three 2nds and three 3rds as starting points to close a deal. You can likely add another 3rd and maybe a 4th.

That’s based on recent prices for the last three defective players:

Cuylle return (3rd pick):
3x2nds
3x3rds
1x5th

Nizhnikov return (7th pick):
2x2nds
5x3rds
2x4ths
1x5th.

MacLeod return (3rd pick):
3x2nds
3x3rds

3rds and 4ths aren’t an issue for us. However, according to the database, we have just one 2nd in ‘24 that could be moved.

Can we move Vukojovic in the off season and get two 2nds + for him? We should be able to.

If so, we can close a deal for Fantilli provided if Kitchener is his destination city.

3 x 2nds. 3 or 4 x 3rds and a 4th should get it done if we move Vukojovic.

Now, if that happens, where does that leave us regarding a run in 21-22? Our cupboard would be empty and we’d have already moved the assets that a Vukojovic trade would bring.

We’d be looking at maybe moving our first rounder in 2021 ++ if we wanted to close a deal for a high end addition.

For course, if we get multiple players to report that we took flyers on over the last year or so, that would create a glut of bodies meaning moves could be made for picks to be used later.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
With Fantilli, keep in mind it's quite likely he plays in the USHL this year. So the 3 years pre-draft is likely to be 2 at best.

Secondly, if we trade Vukojevic, he better get more than two 2nds. As a 19 year old he will be in the top few D in the league and a dominant player. I don't want to set the price yet but for me it's definitely more than that.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
With Fantilli, keep in mind it's quite likely he plays in the USHL this year. So the 3 years pre-draft is likely to be 2 at best.

Secondly, if we trade Vukojevic, he better get more than two 2nds. As a 19 year old he will be in the top few D in the league and a dominant player. I don't want to set the price yet but for me it's definitely more than that.

We’d get more than the two 2nds. But to complete a Fantilli deal, we’d only need those two 2nds from a Vukojovic deal to go towards a Fantilli deal is what I meant.

Of course we’d get more than that for Vukojovic otherwise.

IMO, I’m of the opinion that we should get at least the same return for Vukojovic that Guelph got for Lalonde.

Reactions: Tim Wallach
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad